Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 12:49 PM

14 posts, read 37,873 times

Advertisements

I'm from Australia & we have cane spiders (huntsman) everywhere & they get as big as your hand (spread out) but they aren't dangerous (one of the few), if they bite might leave a welt. In 40 yrs I don't believe I have ever been bit & there's always several in our house at a time. I don't like spiders either but we have so-o-o many back home in Australia that you learn to live with them. We have so many species that live around houses that you lose count. I think it's because they are fast moving that scares me the most.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2008, 11:08 PM

36 posts, read 102,802 times
Default Any danger to small dogs?

I googled the cane spiders and while they do indeed look quite scary (!), apparently they eat cockroaches (go cane spiders!) and rarely bite people and aren't dangerous when they do ... is that all true? Do they pose any danger to small dogs?

Tia,
Susannah <-- possibly relocating to Kauai this fall/winter

Old 06-10-2008, 05:18 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,312,547 times
I doubt if you will see many...they stay in the sugarcane...seen when the fields are burnt...incredible sight to see them moving to their new digs...Do watch for the scorpions and centepedes...and they are more of a problem...and give a nasty welt..

Old 06-10-2008, 10:56 AM

36 posts, read 102,802 times
Thanks, David. Do you live in Hawaii? Which island? We're in southern New Mexico right now, and I've seen a couple scorpions ... ours here are little (can be tiny, like half the length of your little finger) and not poisonous, but there are other species that are scary. I've heard about the centipedes. In general, coming from the Chihuahuan Desert, it's not so much the concept of unusual insects/ arachnids that freaks me out -- I actually think that's somewhat exciting -- it's knowing what to expect. I suppose I should contact a veterinarian there to ask the dog/wildlife questions. My kiddos can be taught to safely observe from a distance, but the dog's just not that bright ;o) .

-- Susannah in Las Cruces

Old 06-11-2008, 04:15 AM

21 posts, read 90,823 times
dudes, forget the cane spiders, the centipedes are freaky and they hurt. i spent the night in the hospital from a bite!!!!! there are the most disgusting things i have ever seen. the worst part, they travel in pairs!!!!!! if you find one in your house, etc? you cant sleep until you find the other!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!

Old 06-11-2008, 01:25 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,458,627 times
I would take a roach over a cane spider or centipede any day. I was driving home from work late last night and had a HUGE cane spider on the windshield near the passengers side...UGH.

Old 06-12-2008, 04:18 PM

349 posts, read 1,544,806 times
Lived on Kauai in my teens and never once saw a Cane spider. I did however see these black & yellow spiders we called banana spiders but they lived among the plants outside and never in the house. We did see tons of geckos (sometimes inside) and buffos outside at night, epecially when the sprinklers would come on. Try stepping on one of those big mothers when you are barefoot at night!

Old 06-13-2008, 04:18 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,312,547 times
Chilemama:

not to worry...If you are going to Oahu everything is sprayed...sprayed ...sprayed...I worked and lived there for over 3 years...only remember one friend bitten by a centipede and it was bad...about 6' of welt and they attach and bite in an upward direction, very traumatic until you get it unfastened..
The scorpions were about 2" long...

its a risk with any location a person lives...the Realtors in Tampa never tell a person about the aligators and pygmy rattlesnakes in the waterways...It's something that goes with the eco...
at least Hawaii has a few pests to be wary of, but not life threatning...wait...about that one, feral pigs...they can do a number on a person but you need to be in their territory...which is the deep isolated valleys, You will do fine...
I now live in West Virginia and its simply the best place I've ever lived...keys are in the car...front door is open...neighbors are friendly, watchfull and helpfull...it's the old America...only thing they watch for here is crooked politicians and tax collectors...worse than any centipede I ever heard of...good luck in Hawaii, everyone should live there at least one time...its also a good jump off place to Oz and New Zealand...no one should miss those places either....

Old 06-28-2008, 02:03 AM

7,913 posts, read 932,894 times
we had to kill two cane spiders in the last 3 hours i took a picture before we killed the last one. it was huge.

Old 06-28-2008, 11:50 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,571,651 times
Little known untrue fact here in Hawaii about cane spiders..........they have been known to kidnap and devour pit bulls, like to hide in your shoes, (that's why we all wear rubber slippahs......some smart yea??????), and have been seen drag racing against centipedes, the centipedes, although well known for a tendency to cheat, usually loose........Had a cane spider in my place a while back, named him "Harry", seemed appropriate, took quite a while to catch him and set him loose outside..........but guess what??????? Haven't seen a snake yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aloha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii