Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 01:01 AM

1 posts, read 7,126 times

Advertisements

Just moved to HI, and a car I had just purchased is on its way from Florida. Bought from a used car dealership, its a 2013. Problem is the car is being shipped without any plates. The catch-22 on arrival is that it needs inspection before plates. So how could I get it inspected without plates short of paying a tow truck?? What do people do in this situation? I hope there is a temporary plate solution.

Ben
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2015, 01:27 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaBen View Post
Bought from a used car dealership, its a 2013. Problem is the car is being shipped without any plates. What do people do in this situation? I hope there is a temporary plate solution.

Ben
Hmmm, how does one legally buy a car from a dealership without registration and without temporary plates?

Old 02-18-2015, 09:14 AM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,161,875 times
I am guessing you have a temporary registration from the delership? From my experience shipping over last year, you'll just take your car to an service station for the safety inspection, the only inspection done at the shipper's receiving point was for damage.

Old 02-18-2015, 10:09 AM

189 posts, read 260,393 times
In California you get the car without plates....other states have the same rules. You just have to register it under your name and new plates will be issued and sent to you.

Old 02-18-2015, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark.ca View Post
In California you get the car without plates....other states have the same rules. You just have to register it under your name and new plates will be issued and sent to you.
I've bought a lot cars from dealerships California - when you buy it, they place to what amounts to temporary plates in your windshield. It must be visible in case you are pulled over.

Old 02-18-2015, 11:01 AM

170 posts, read 291,992 times
I don't think you need plates. I believe all you need is your temporary registration (which is what the dealership gave you) and proof of HI car insurance for your vehicle inspection. I suggest you call an inspection station. I'm sure they've been through this situation many times.

Old 02-18-2015, 11:10 AM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
If you have the shipping papers and Hawaii insurance, even if you do get pulled over for no plates on your way to the inspection station, probably all the officer will do is issue a ticket that says you're supposed to go get plates and registration. If it were mine, I'd find the closest inspection station to the dock, pick the car up from the dock, go directly to the inspection station, then park the car somewhere near the inspection station and take the bus or a cab to the Department of Motor Vehicles and get it registered and get the plates. They will hand them to you at the DMV. Then, back to the car, install the plates, show the registration & plates to the inspection station so they will put the safety inspection sticker on the car and you're good to go. But, this is just what I'd probably do, I'm not sure it's 100% legal. You could inquire with the Department of Motor Vehicles or ask your local police officer or call the police station.

Old 02-18-2015, 11:37 PM

189 posts, read 260,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I've bought a lot cars from dealerships California - when you buy it, they place to what amounts to temporary plates in your windshield. It must be visible in case you are pulled over.
The last 4 cars i bought were with no plates, all from dealers. They have a small sticker pocket on the windshield where you would put a paper with the VIN and temp registration. They can choose to leave the plates on but almost always they take them off. The only time i bought from private party it kept the plates but i hear the owner can remove them if he want and make the new owner get new ones.

Old 02-19-2015, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark.ca View Post
They have a small sticker pocket on the windshield where you would put a paper with the VIN and temp registration. .
That was my point - the sticker pocket on the drivers side represents the temporary plates. You can't drive without that without physical plates.

Old 02-19-2015, 09:12 PM

4,410 posts, read 4,893,246 times
Coincidentally enough, I'm dealing with the exact same scenario (I'm half way through it) and I've talked to the Hawaii vehicle registration office and also a Hawaii county police officer, though I can't tell from the posts here what county the question is pertaining to. In my case I'm a resident of the Big Island and the car is coming from Honolulu without plates because it was bought at auction. It's not an out of state vehicle but the procedure is the same.

The quick answer is: you're screwed, but you can work through the process. Without plates and a current safety inspection, there is no way to legally drive your car from the barge to step 1: getting the safety inspection. Assuming you pass your safety inspection, you will get a "temporary" form saying you failed your safety inspection because you have no plates. If the safety check place lets you leave your car there, you can go to the registration office by hitching a ride somehow and avoid continuing to drive your car illegally. Take the temp safety to the registration office with your ownership and insurance information and get your plates and registration. After you affix your plates both front and back and assuming you have the insurance card printed on the Hawaii card stock (I should have mentioned this before telling you to take your insurance cards to the registration office...insurance cards MUST be printed on Hawaii card stock or they are worthless... your insurance company has to have them printed in Hawaii, so you can't print them online etc, so plan on this delay) you have to go back to the mechanic and have your temporary safety converted into a permanent safety. Then your car will be legal to drive.

I asked the police officer how can a person get their car to the safety inspection etc without getting a ticket and was told the only way to be sure was to have the vehicle towed. The fine is $70, which is less than a tow job, and so you can probably guess that most people just risk it.

Last edited by terracore; 02-19-2015 at 09:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: