Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2011, 10:51 AM

16 posts, read 31,347 times

Advertisements

SHipping my car to hawaii from portland. I see there is a Horizon and a Horizon Auto Shipping. The second one offers a better deal and will pick up my car at my house. Anyone used the latter before? Thanks, Jill BTW they use Matson to ship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 11:25 AM

1,234 posts, read 4,593,131 times
Aloha,

I shipped 2 cars over and my household goods in a container. Horizon will do both thats the distinction of the auto verses none auto the auto one will drive your car on the ship with all the other autos the none auto will put you car in a container this is why the price is higher. You can also look at Matson or Pasha but the prices are the same or so very close it doesn't make a difference. Also your car will be shipped empty you cant put household goods in it at all.

Good luck
Koa

Old 09-20-2011, 03:03 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,450,639 times
Just use Pasha.

Old 09-20-2011, 03:26 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,697,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittyrocky View Post
SHipping my car to hawaii from portland. I see there is a Horizon and a Horizon Auto Shipping. The second one offers a better deal and will pick up my car at my house. Anyone used the latter before? Thanks, Jill BTW they use Matson to ship.
Horizon (as in Horizon Lines) is a shipper/logistics operations company. When using them you are in their hands and they are responsible from pickup to delivery. Horizon Lines ownes their own fleet of vehilces, their own containers and their own ships. Imagine them the same as UPS.

Horizon Auto Shippers (nothing to do with Horizon Lines) is a auto transporter. They transport vehciles from Point A to Point B. Sometimes it's their trucks, many times they sub contract it out, on Hawaii shipments ythey ahve to use Horizon, Pasha or Matson because those are the ones who own the ships. The majority of complaints about damages, stolen property, lost vehicles, delays and such are from transporters/brokers.

The sailing time for Matson, Pasha and Horizon from a west coast port to HI port is between 4 - 8 days. Travel time from the others are usually quoted in weeks and even months. That happens because they are not booking passage on the ships liek when you use Matson, Pasha or Horizon, they have the cars sit waiting for when one of the shippers will take the laod at a reduced rate. That can be next ship out, or it could be 1 month later.

The transporters primary custiomer base is moving cars from where you live to the port for ship,ment. Once there the other shipper takes over. Once arrived att he port, the transporter needs to broker the local side to a local company. The transporters/brokers can bid out any move anywhere in the US tot hat port. You may have company A pick the car up at your house, Company B drives it from your local yard to the dock, Pasha Matson or Horizon Lines takes over and ships it to Hawaii, and Company C picks it up an delivers it to you. Should something go wrong, your dealing with several companies all pointing fingers at each other.

If you use Horizon Lines and their Ship-My-Vehicle affiilate, they and only they are involved and you deal only with them.

Old 09-20-2011, 04:43 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,938,193 times
I just used the Horizon Line Ship-my-vehicle affliate for 2 cars and the process was incredibly easy and smooth from the Tacoma port (then walked to Amtrak and took train back to Portland) - drop off car on Wednesday and you have it in about 2 weeks.

Old 09-20-2011, 06:27 PM

16 posts, read 31,347 times
Default no time to get to port

wow thats a lot of good info. The only reason I was going to go with the horizon auto ship was becasue they charge 1350 to take my car from portland to seattle then ship. I don't have time to get to seattle...at least it would be really tough. hmmm...

Old 04-17-2015, 05:00 PM

3 posts, read 4,314 times
Hi
So it's ok to go thru the Horizon Line "ship my vehicle" affiliate instead of directly going thru Horizon?
I'm shipping my car from Tacoma to Kawaihae (big island)
Very nervous!!!!

Old 04-18-2015, 12:25 AM

2,417 posts, read 3,258,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaskade503 View Post
Hi
So it's ok to go thru the Horizon Line "ship my vehicle" affiliate instead of directly going thru Horizon?
I'm shipping my car from Tacoma to Kawaihae (big island)
Very nervous!!!!
Contact them and ask. Can't hurt to ask. It won't cost anything unless you agree to the quote.
Vehicles & Household Goods | Horizon Lines

Old 04-18-2015, 12:47 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,590,451 times
We shipped our's directly with Matson, totally empty. We had to be there to pick it up within 24 hrs in order to avoid really high storage fees. It worked out fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii