Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 06:51 PM

21 posts, read 104,967 times

Advertisements

Hi, my fiance and I are looking into purchasing a home within the next year. We are currently renting in va beach and love the area but single family homes in good areas, are a little above our price range here. My search has extended to the VA/NC border where i have discovered, prices are slightly lower and you can get more peace and quiet and larger yards (which we love). My fiance works in portsmouth, va at the shipyard and is willing to make a commute of about 45min but not too much more. I see that Moyock NC is one of the areas that is within range. Does anyone know anything about this area?? We have never been down there. Also, are there any other areas on the va/nc border where we should look?? thanks so much for your help and advice =)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 08:32 PM

1,477 posts, read 6,016,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wicked_blond04 View Post
Hi, my fiance and I are looking into purchasing a home within the next year. We are currently renting in va beach and love the area but single family homes in good areas, are a little above our price range here. My search has extended to the VA/NC border where i have discovered, prices are slightly lower and you can get more peace and quiet and larger yards (which we love). My fiance works in portsmouth, va at the shipyard and is willing to make a commute of about 45min but not too much more. I see that Moyock NC is one of the areas that is within range. Does anyone know anything about this area?? We have never been down there. Also, are there any other areas on the va/nc border where we should look?? thanks so much for your help and advice =)
A lot of Virginians have moved just across the state line into NC over the years, but many of them have moved back....yes the taxes are cheaper along with the real estate market but most people tire of the long commute and with the ever changing gas prices, much of the savings are soon consumed with gas and wear and tear on their vehicle.....Sure gas is pretty cheap right now but I dont think it would shock anyone if it was back to 3-4 dollars a gallon by summer

Old 01-22-2009, 12:57 PM

264 posts, read 907,240 times
Moyock is a great area. Laid back, a little country but will grow big time when the economy picks back up. Chesapeake hospital bought a hug parcel of land right on the border in Va. I think its worth checking out.

Old 01-23-2009, 05:24 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,449,073 times
Gates is the place, if you want to commute that distance. New homes and lots are for sale down there. I work with a couple peeps who built homes there a couple years ago. They're half mile over the boarder. They work 4-10 hour shifts for a 3 day weekend so they're not traveling too much back and forth. When the gas was over 4 dollars, they were screamin' about how much it cost them to travel back and forth to work. It's really up to you, but even the Suffolk peeps had it rough.

Old 01-23-2009, 03:45 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,975,688 times
I have worked with a few folks who bought in Elizabeth City and commuted to Norfolk. It was a little over an hour so long as they didn't hit a major back-up. I thought they were crazy but couldn't talk them out of it. They bought an 1800 sq foot home for a little over $200k in a great area.

Old 01-24-2009, 06:53 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,449,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Williamsburg View Post
I have worked with a few folks who bought in Elizabeth City and commuted to Norfolk. It was a little over an hour so long as they didn't hit a major back-up. I thought they were crazy but couldn't talk them out of it. They bought an 1800 sq foot home for a little over $200k in a great area.
Yes, the assessments are much lower than ours. My friend's husband hand built their 4,000 sq. foot home. When they sold the one he previously built 7 years earlier at 440,000 in Suffolk, they made out compared to the new home in Gates. Same square footage, same quality workmanship, but assessed at 234,000.

Old 01-25-2009, 07:11 PM

7 posts, read 53,278 times
My advice is also to try Suffolk. Grew up there and all my family is stlll there. Carolina Hwy and Carolina Rd., Manning Rd, Whaleyville area and Holland area of Suffolk are areas that you should definitely look into. They are still in VA but are an easy 30min commute to the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard. There is also some homes off Turlington Rd in Suffolk that are nice too. (Land acreage is nice too)

Good Luck.

Old 06-25-2019, 07:29 PM

1 posts, read 15,448 times
I'm looking to move near Charlotte NC. I would like to be able to work over the VA border till I can transfer my CNA license to NC. What city would be closest?

Old 06-26-2019, 01:20 PM

19,220 posts, read 17,075,134 times
Danville VA is the closest and that almost 3 hrs away, not worth it.

Old 07-01-2019, 11:16 AM

1,619 posts, read 1,100,500 times
Suffolk is a short commute from Portsmouth and if you want a house with alot of land, the areas of Suffolk that brants421 mentioned are great. If not, Northern Suffolk would be great. It's even closer to Portsmouth than the older part of Suffolk and you will be closer to shopping and good restaurants. Good Luck!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area