Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2023, 11:08 AM

6,417 posts, read 1,427,778 times

Advertisements

Where I live , there have been a massive amount of people (mostly from the North) moving here to the point where it is overcrowded. The roads are full of cars, the infrastructure did not keep up with the amount of people that moved here. Is it like that in Tidwater, particulary Va. Beach / Norfolk / Chesapeake?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2023, 04:34 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,051,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity2019 View Post
Where I live , there have been a massive amount of people (mostly from the North) moving here to the point where it is overcrowded. The roads are full of cars, the infrastructure did not keep up with the amount of people that moved here. Is it like that in Tidwater, particulary Va. Beach / Norfolk / Chesapeake?
Hampton Roads has mostly grown at a snail's pace over the last few decades though there are pockets that have grown pretty quickly. Where are you referring to that is overcrowded (Charleston I'm guessing?)? While HR isn't what I would call "overcrowded", they're getting left behind by more prosperous areas like Raleigh, Charlotte, and even Richmond (Richmond isn't going to catch HR anytime soon in population but does beat HR in a lot of other ways).

Old 06-16-2023, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRVT View Post
Hampton Roads has mostly grown at a snail's pace over the last few decades though there are pockets that have grown pretty quickly. Where are you referring to that is overcrowded (Charleston I'm guessing?)? While HR isn't what I would call "overcrowded", they're getting left behind by more prosperous areas like Raleigh, Charlotte, and even Richmond (Richmond isn't going to catch HR anytime soon in population but does beat HR in a lot of other ways).
Yea I live in Charleston, SC , way overcrowded! I lived in Tidewater, Va. It was not Hampton Roads, when I lived there, so I still call it Tidwater. I lived in Va. Beach, mostly spent time in Va. Beach, sometimes Norfolk and Chesapeake. Thanks for the information.

Old 06-16-2023, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Yea I live in Charleston, SC , way overcrowded! I lived in Tidewater, Va. It was not Hampton Roads, when I lived there, so I still call it Tidwater. I lived in Va. Beach, mostly spent time in Va. Beach, sometimes Norfolk and Chesapeake. Thanks for the information.
So I would say it depends on how long ago you lived in HR and how long it has been since you've been back. If you're saying the area was "Tidewater", and we're talking back into the 80s, then yeah the areas by the Oceanfront are and north of 264 are quite crowded. The infrastructure is decently equipped in VB, but it's getting strained (and the HRBT is a nightmare, though in theory the expansion which should be done in a few years will help).

That said, we moved to the NC Triad from Va Beach about 7 years ago, in part because of how expensive the VB area was (we got far more house in the Triad for considerably less money than we had budgeted to pay in Hampton Roads). As you go west, there's a bit less crowding though last I've seen there's a lot of growth happening in Suffolk. You could also try North Hampton Roads. Hampton/NN have held fairly similar in population over the last 30 years or so (though York County has grown). Traffic isn't terrible for the most part anymore there though as I-64 has been expanded (for years, it used to bottleneck horribly around Jefferson Ave).

I can't speak for Charleston as I've only been once and spent all of 18 hours there (half of which was sleeping) before getting onto a cruise and then driving out of town. But my guess is that you'd consider HR to be overcrowded.

Note: Just noticed you said 1999 in another thread. It's a bit more crowded... but not horribly so. The area has been pretty stagnant growth-wise for quite a while. But depending on the parts of Virginia Beach/Chesapeake, there will be pockets that you will likely find unrecognizably dense.

Old 06-16-2023, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRVT View Post
So I would say it depends on how long ago you lived in HR and how long it has been since you've been back. If you're saying the area was "Tidewater", and we're talking back into the 80s, then yeah the areas by the Oceanfront are and north of 264 are quite crowded. The infrastructure is decently equipped in VB, but it's getting strained (and the HRBT is a nightmare, though in theory the expansion which should be done in a few years will help).

That said, we moved to the NC Triad from Va Beach about 7 years ago, in part because of how expensive the VB area was (we got far more house in the Triad for considerably less money than we had budgeted to pay in Hampton Roads). As you go west, there's a bit less crowding though last I've seen there's a lot of growth happening in Suffolk. You could also try North Hampton Roads. Hampton/NN have held fairly similar in population over the last 30 years or so (though York County has grown). Traffic isn't terrible for the most part anymore there though as I-64 has been expanded (for years, it used to bottleneck horribly around Jefferson Ave).

I can't speak for Charleston as I've only been once and spent all of 18 hours there (half of which was sleeping) before getting onto a cruise and then driving out of town. But my guess is that you'd consider HR to be overcrowded.

Note: Just noticed you said 1999 in another thread. It's a bit more crowded... but not horribly so. The area has been pretty stagnant growth-wise for quite a while. But depending on the parts of Virginia Beach/Chesapeake, there will be pockets that you will likely find unrecognizably dense.
Thank you, I left in 1999/2000 after living there 28 years. I was born there. I don't know when they started saying Hampton Roads. I remember I grew up and hung out on the Southside of Tidewater.

Old 06-16-2023, 08:39 PM

3,727 posts, read 2,551,518 times
Quote:
Thank you, I left in 1999/2000 after living there 28 years. I was born there. I don't know when they started saying Hampton Roads. I remember I grew up and hung out on the Southside of Tidewater.
I think we may have talked about this in an older thread.. so forgive me if this is a rerun, but.. I noticed the move from Tidewater to Hampton Roads in the mid thru late '9os. I really noticed it when the bus system went from T(idewater)RT to HRT (Hampton Roads Transit). And at some similar point, the Tides dumped Tidewater and became Norfolk Tides.
I moved back and forth out of the area for a while, and eventually asked an older co-worker (who grew up near Pembroke) about the regional name change, thinking what was wrong with Tidewater. He said "they paid some Yankee consulting firm to elevate Tidewater's image". And the name Hampton Roads is what they came up with. I fact checked him online, and he was basically right.

Old 06-17-2023, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
I think we may have talked about this in an older thread.. so forgive me if this is a rerun, but.. I noticed the move from Tidewater to Hampton Roads in the mid thru late '9os. I really noticed it when the bus system went from T(idewater)RT to HRT (Hampton Roads Transit). And at some similar point, the Tides dumped Tidewater and became Norfolk Tides.
I moved back and forth out of the area for a while, and eventually asked an older co-worker (who grew up near Pembroke) about the regional name change, thinking what was wrong with Tidewater. He said "they paid some Yankee consulting firm to elevate Tidewater's image". And the name Hampton Roads is what they came up with. I fact checked him online, and he was basically right.
I believe the Tidewater --> Norfolk Tides switch happened with the move to Harbor Park (1993).

Old 06-22-2023, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
That's a shame! I will always call it Tidewater, been gone since 1999.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area