Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2018, 05:46 PM

2 posts, read 2,492 times

Advertisements

So, if one wanted to locate an apt. (efficiency, garage or 1 bedroom) to rent that's dog-friendly...besides Craigslist, where can you find advertisements for safe, inexpensive places? My niece just got a job at Busch Gardens in Williamsburg, will be moving from out-of-state and will be trying to find something that fits the bill on an entry-level pay. It seems the sites like Tulia, etc. only have apt. buildings or higher priced options.

Last edited by haircutnut; 08-04-2018 at 05:47 PM.. Reason: include city name
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2018, 05:49 PM

2 posts, read 2,492 times
Hi, can I ask what you ultimately decided to do? Did you find somewhere in Williamsburg? My niece just got a job at Busch Gardens and will be looking for a place to rent within the month so I'm trying to help her figure out her options. Figured since you just went thru this, you might have a bit of good advice!

Old 08-04-2018, 08:43 PM

1,185 posts, read 1,513,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haircutnut View Post
Hi, can I ask what you ultimately decided to do? Did you find somewhere in Williamsburg? My niece just got a job at Busch Gardens and will be looking for a place to rent within the month so I'm trying to help her figure out her options. Figured since you just went thru this, you might have a bit of good advice!
Craigslist is going to be your best bet.

Look for something near W&M. There are a ton of "backyard apartments" off of Richmond Road that students usually rent.

You're really in a bad time of year to be renting though. Most of the places you describe are snatched up by college kids or temporary immigrant seasonal workers at this point.

Old 10-18-2018, 10:16 AM

2 posts, read 3,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugbygurl View Post
Hello. I am an early 20s young professional moving to the Hampton roads area. My job is at Busch Gardens and I was hoping to find a place closer to Hampton or Newport News but still within a 30 minute commute. Things I am looking for: lots of young people, bars/restaurants, close to beach, probably a house or townhown over an apartment. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!
OP here. Just figured I'd give an update.

I moved into an apartment near City Center in Newport News. The rent is reasonable for a 2 bedroom 2 bath. It's close to every store imaginable. Like, I've pretty much spent my entire time here somewhere on Jefferson. It's a good spot because it's easy for me to get to Hampton beach and Yorktown beach (which is my favorite). Busch Gardens is only a 25 minute drive for me. The reason I wanted to live this far south from Busch Gardens was that my SO was also looking for a job and I thought there would be more opportunities in Newport News and Hampton. He ended up with a job at NASA and his commute is less than 20 minutes.

Socially, I haven't had a problem making friends, there's a lot of churches with young people, and a lot of bars too! I live within walking distance to City Center and there's restaurants there and also many events and a movie theater.

Hopefully this helps anyone who was also looking to move here.

Old 11-13-2018, 04:47 AM

82 posts, read 230,024 times
That’s cool. I always suggest HR to the more extroverted or church going people whenever it comes up in convos. One such person was lamenting relocating his family to Vermont. He is more a blue collar self taught happy church going extrovert. Someone who is more charismatic than intellectual. HR would be a great fit.

While HR is too bland to make much impression on me I recommend it strongly to people who want a traditional good life more reflective of old timey days. It’s possible to find a job without much college or having not gone to college at all. It’s slow paced and the people are incredibly curious about newcomers. Extroverts can do really well here and I encourage them to consider HR.

My pal moved to VT. He struggles in VT because it’s an intellectual introvert’s gloomy wintery paradise. HR is a great place for a specific kind of uncomplicated creature comfort seeking extroverted person who likes family activities and community sponsored events. HR excels at providing that specific kind a person a good life. And you sound like you found what you’re looking for. So nice on here when that happens.

I am going to show him this post. Thanks for it.

Old 11-19-2018, 09:07 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,499,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugbygurl View Post
OP here. Just figured I'd give an update.

I moved into an apartment near City Center in Newport News. The rent is reasonable for a 2 bedroom 2 bath. It's close to every store imaginable. Like, I've pretty much spent my entire time here somewhere on Jefferson. It's a good spot because it's easy for me to get to Hampton beach and Yorktown beach (which is my favorite). Busch Gardens is only a 25 minute drive for me. The reason I wanted to live this far south from Busch Gardens was that my SO was also looking for a job and I thought there would be more opportunities in Newport News and Hampton. He ended up with a job at NASA and his commute is less than 20 minutes.

Socially, I haven't had a problem making friends, there's a lot of churches with young people, and a lot of bars too! I live within walking distance to City Center and there's restaurants there and also many events and a movie theater.

Hopefully this helps anyone who was also looking to move here.
Good to hear. People are friendly here, and not just the locals. The place brings it out of people even if they normally aren't like that wherever they're from.

Glad to hear you're close to the beach. It is a different scene from the Oceanfront or Ocean View/East Beach. Quieter but still enough people out there. Newport News and Hampton are going to be cheaper than the Southside; City Center and Peninsula Town Center might be an exception because those areas are newer in their redevelopment. In any event the contrast between the cities make this an interesting place to live.

Old 11-25-2018, 06:11 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,137,861 times
I live in WBurg and think it's an awesome place for a young person, as long as you can afford it. The 20-somethings I know seem to live near William and Mary and New Town.

Not sure what "millennial gestalt" means, since the millennials I know are significantly different and have different needs and interests. What I think matters more is what the OP is interested in. If it's going clubbing every night, WBurg has a few spots but other parts of HR might appeal more. I think WBurg has more "intellectual" events, although if that's a draw for the OP you will certainly find plenty of intellectual people in other parts of HR too. I personally like the parks and outdoor activities in WBurg area better, although there are plenty of great places in all of HR. I'm into hiking, cycling, and kayaking so WBurg is the place for me. If you're into beaches, other parts of HR might be better.

But.... if it was me, I wouldn't make entertainment options a reason to live somewhere. I'd live near your work, because traffic in the morning can be a PITA.

I'd rather live near work, have a short commute, and drive 30 minutes after rush hour for fun. After all, you don't go out every night but you DO have to drive work every day (including when the weather is bad or you don't feel great). Plus you're going to be driving in all different directions for fun, anyway.

Old 11-25-2018, 06:18 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,137,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
Good to hear. People are friendly here, and not just the locals. The place brings it out of people even if they normally aren't like that wherever they're from.

Glad to hear you're close to the beach. It is a different scene from the Oceanfront or Ocean View/East Beach. Quieter but still enough people out there. Newport News and Hampton are going to be cheaper than the Southside; City Center and Peninsula Town Center might be an exception because those areas are newer in their redevelopment. In any event the contrast between the cities make this an interesting place to live.

LOL, I saw this after I wrote my post above. Congrats on finding a place, and welcome to HR. I've had a lot of fun here, and it sounds like you found a good place.

Old 11-25-2018, 06:21 AM

2,285 posts, read 4,094,593 times
You know this thread is a pretty good example of how “opposing advice” is actually more helpful than if everyone said the same thing! Just sayin’.

Old 03-01-2019, 01:55 PM

189 posts, read 197,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
I live in WBurg and think it's an awesome place for a young person, as long as you can afford it. The 20-somethings I know seem to live near William and Mary and New Town.

Not sure what "millennial gestalt" means, since the millennials I know are significantly different and have different needs and interests. What I think matters more is what the OP is interested in. If it's going clubbing every night, WBurg has a few spots but other parts of HR might appeal more. I think WBurg has more "intellectual" events, although if that's a draw for the OP you will certainly find plenty of intellectual people in other parts of HR too. I personally like the parks and outdoor activities in WBurg area better, although there are plenty of great places in all of HR. I'm into hiking, cycling, and kayaking so WBurg is the place for me. If you're into beaches, other parts of HR might be better.

But.... if it was me, I wouldn't make entertainment options a reason to live somewhere. I'd live near your work, because traffic in the morning can be a PITA.

I'd rather live near work, have a short commute, and drive 30 minutes after rush hour for fun. After all, you don't go out every night but you DO have to drive work every day (including when the weather is bad or you don't feel great). Plus you're going to be driving in all different directions for fun, anyway.
Agreed Williamsburg is fantastic. Not doable if you work on the southside though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area