Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2020, 04:30 PM

3 posts, read 3,367 times

Advertisements

Virginia beach
Chesapeake
Portsmouth
Suffolk
Norfolk
Hampton
Newport News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2020, 11:53 AM

210 posts, read 417,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janayb88 View Post
Virginia beach
Chesapeake
Portsmouth
Suffolk
Norfolk
Hampton
Newport News
Portsmouth at #3!?

Old 02-21-2020, 07:39 PM

125 posts, read 121,827 times
If you have school age children and don’t want them to attend the film set of “Lean on me” Virginia Beach and Chesapeake are your only options. The rest of the cities have essentially unusable schools and would require private, then why live there if that’s the case.

1. VB
2. Chesapeake
3. Norfolk
4. Newport News
5. Hampton
6. Suffolk
7. Portsmouth (I work there)

Old 07-14-2021, 11:01 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,450,768 times
I have an update, take it as you will.

Since this post started I've lived in Norfolk and now live in Portsmouth. People say why Portsmouth. I found that the lots in Norfolk were too small for my tastes, infrastructure improvements all the ****ing time the **** is ridiculous, potholes, and for what I was paying, Norfolk is not a city with a vibrant enough downtown area to be close to it, nor are any of the other neighborhoods interesting enough to pay the rent. I was in Ghent, which for me is overrated a lot of cities have similar districts some smaller some much larger but again for me not worth the money.

Ghent is cool if you're a hipster, or a yuppie, someone that chases clout, someone that needs to flex on other people, for whatever reason. It was not for me. So we moved out to Portsmouth and obtained a lot more land for our money, which is hell to keep up, but the neighborhood is cool I don't have to deal with "Karen" or any of those issues. I'm a lot closer to Chesapeake than I am Norfolk, so this part of Portsmouth is relatively quiet and less "hood" than places I have lived at in the past.

Now for overall quality of living even though it works for me I would still have to rank Portsmouth low on the list, and this is why. For an urban environment that is less dense, less hectic, and less stress than Norfolk it still lacks the "flavor" that is often associated with Norfolk. This has forever been my criticism of Portsmouth, and Hampton and Newport News. One has to really spend a lot of time there getting their hands dirty to make it worth their while, because visually these cities are ugly, and most people will never see the character of these cities, which often requires relationships with the people that live in those areas and getting to a place where you know what you are talking about, of which people that never live there, do not.

Personally, I think Hampton Roads is a big suburb, always will be, and may have some areas that, while poor, are still suburban. It just lacks that grit and that environment that people associate with places like Pittsburgh or Detroit. Is that a low quality of life; I don't think so. Americans want suburban areas, most people live in them, and that is where all of the population growth is in this country. So far as one does not mind use of an automobile, for every trip, it isn't a problem. It is only a problem when people want to walk everywhere.

But to walk everywhere, in Virginia, one has to pay a pretty penny at a very high cost. And they are never going to get that city feel they'll get in a DC or a Baltimore. I've lived around here long enough to know that is sort of the point, so I don't ***** much. If I want it, I can always go back home and experience the poverty and people back there.

Old 07-17-2021, 02:15 AM

2,188 posts, read 3,217,044 times
Spot on -

You drive to DC, Alexandria, etc. you feel a different vibe. If you lived in HR for at least 2 years and visit DC you understand. HR is a hard area to break through in maybe due to military presence or lack of identity, etc.

Maybe that's why you so many national companies, etc. get out due to quality of life and head to a bigger city

Old 07-17-2021, 07:41 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,450,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbcu View Post
Spot on -

You drive to DC, Alexandria, etc. you feel a different vibe. If you lived in HR for at least 2 years and visit DC you understand. HR is a hard area to break through in maybe due to military presence or lack of identity, etc.

Maybe that's why you so many national companies, etc. get out due to quality of life and head to a bigger city
Very hard to break into HR. I recommend anyone thinking about moving here to get roommates if they're making less than $50,000. Even at $50,000, it is difficult, but it is doable. Anything less than that you're asking for trouble unless you're on assistance of some kind and that is getting more difficult in HR as they're dismantling all of the housing projects and Section 8 is a lot more selective about who gets to stay, and on what terms.

Alexandria, DC is definitely different than HR. Yes it costs a lot more but you're getting an actual city, with actual public transportation, better roads, and better infrastructure overall than what one gets in HR. HR sit and wait 2 hours for the bus to come by and if you need it once the sun goes down all bets are off unless you're in Norfolk, and even then its sketchy.

Not to mention we have these bridge/tunnels with no dedicated lanes for a bus or train to ride on.

HR is not a cheap area. All things considered, it is priced for what it is worth, considering how expensive everything else on the East Coast is, but it is very much a do it yourself vibe here. Those looking for cities with a lot of welfare and accommodations are going to be caught off guard because anything you can do for yourself, you should because no one around here is going to do anything for you.

Old 01-07-2022, 10:32 AM

189 posts, read 195,562 times
Top 3 for me is:

1. Williamsburg
2. Virginia Beach
3. Chesapake/Greinbrier

I am in Va Beach now. Am happy and content enough here. But I must say living in Williamsburg for 6 years in the 2000's was fantastic.

Portsmouth is clearly last place. The fact that water surrounds that city on 3 sides with the most expensive tolls for those bridges in the region just kills any chance for development relative to the rest of the area. I have only ever gone to Portsmouth for the Children's Museum.

Old 01-09-2022, 07:10 PM

128 posts, read 72,105 times
1.Virginia Beach
2.Norfolk
3.Chesapeake
4.Williamsburg
5.Newport News
6.Hampton
7.Suffolk
8.Portsmouth

Although Norfolk is the cultural and urban core of the region Virginia Beach is currently more well rounded. You get some urban, suburban, beach, and rural environments all in one city. Chesapeake is very similar to Virginia Beach without the beach environment and smaller urban developments. Greenbrier is really beginning to develop an urban core in Chesapeake that may begin to rival Virginia Beach Town center. Although Chesapeake does not have direct access to beaches it does have access to rivers and canals. Not mention if you love nature Chesapeake wooded trails not to mention the unique ecosystem found in the great dismal swamp. I chose southside cities before the peninsula because I fee like to area is a bit more dynamic. Portsmouth is very charming but does not offer an many amenities as the other cities on the list. Norfolk may not be a major city like DC but it offers a well balanced experience. It has museums, beaches, zoos, light rail, and a working downtown. Ghent may be relatively expensive, but its much more affordable than Old town Alexandria. Even with the pay differences between the two areas you still would struggle a lot more to afford to live in Alexandria. The areas really don't feel that different. They both are historical Virginia cities with charming neighborhoods by a river. The only difference is that Alexandria is a part of a much larger metro area that affords it some major city amenities.

Old 01-12-2022, 03:33 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,303,947 times
1. Norfolk. It's the most urban city in a very suburban/rural region. There's some walkability, history, cultural institutions, etc.
2. Va Beach. I don't love VB, but it's got a little more diversity of population and businesses than most of the rest. And beaches.
3. Portsmouth, for Olde Towne alone. It's a small neighborhood but charming AF.
4. Hampton - Sleepy downtown, but nice beach on the bay, Fort Monroe was always a cool place to visit
5. Newport News - Bland suburban in parts, gritty in others.
6. Suffolk - mostly rural and a lot of sprawl too, but it does have a cute little downtown
7. Chesapeake - shoot me

Cities of VB, Chesapeake, and Suffolk would not be cities in any other state. They're each geographically huge, and have very low population density (even VB). They look/feel and have geography more akin to suburban/rural counties than cities.

Old 01-13-2022, 11:46 AM

2,161 posts, read 1,152,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Cities of VB, Chesapeake, and Suffolk would not be cities in any other state. They're each geographically huge, and have very low population density (even VB). They look/feel and have geography more akin to suburban/rural counties than cities.
That's not true.
Va Beach is the 43rd largest city in the United States. #1 largest in Virginia. Chesapeake is #90 in the United States and #2 in Virginia.

Also to those that listed Williamsburg? Though it's a nice place it is not one of the "7 Cities".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area