Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 05:48 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,647,423 times

Advertisements

Just wondering how many women have stopped dying their gray hair? I try to use hair coloring that will blend in the gray almost giving my hair a high lights effect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 06:39 PM

4,596 posts, read 11,449,708 times
I stopped coloring mine several years ago, and have never looked back. I love it, and never felt so validated as when MORE magazine started featuring stunning grey on women in articles and advertisements.

In my youth, I was dark-haired with ash. I seemed to 'grey' as I had surgery -- first on my gallbladder, a few female-related procedures, back surgery, and most recently some heart-related stuff. I asked the anesthesiologist about it, and he said it wasn't unheard of, that some people did 'grey' following surgery. I can count on it.

I was one of those lucky women, though, who greyed somewhat evenly -- no Cruella Deville streaks. I get quite a few compliments on my hair, so that has helped.

I'd say go for it, but keep in mind you'll need a good cut to carry it off, and not just look like you've 'let yourself go.'

Old 02-25-2008, 08:53 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,399,620 times
I typically leave my hair cut very close and don't worry about the couple of strands that pop through. My daughter on the other hand will get the scissors and cut all those grays that she see. Its' so few that I won't contemplate dying them at this point. Also, with my close cut I will have to dye them every two weeks as I cut my hair. It's not worth it.

Old 02-25-2008, 08:56 PM

335 posts, read 1,533,715 times
My friend had gray hair for a long time and now it has become the most beautiful color of white. Honestly, you couldn't buy a more perfect hair color than what she has.

Old 02-26-2008, 07:51 AM

372 posts, read 1,228,722 times
I am starting to see the gray in my medium brown hair as well, and I have no intention on coloring my hair.

First, I am hoping my gray will be the beautiful silver gray my mom has - and her hair is stunning! Second, my hair is short and, if I would start to color, I would be so neurotic about anyone seeing the gray I would be coloring practically every day! LOL!

Gray happens...I'm not going to worry about it - that'll just give me more, right?

Cathy

Old 02-26-2008, 11:15 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
I just started getting a sprinkling in my dishwater blond hair.
I have not done anything about it. I always liked how my grandmother and mom handled their grey. My grandmother had her hair highlighted, but just a partial, and everything blended well. My mom just didn't do much of anything, she just brazened it out on her curly little head.

Old 02-26-2008, 11:25 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,756,657 times
I color what little I have, but I don't hide the fact that I color it. If someone is surprised that I don't have gray hair at 45, I just smile and say "Yep, it goes away every 4 weeks."

Old 02-29-2008, 01:49 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
I used to have my hair colored and the hairdresser would make it a little lighter than my jet black hair. My hair would start to grow out and then I would have 3 colors: the dyed color of dark brown, the natural jet black and the gray. I decided I like my gray. Now I have very short hair and the gray looks like highlights in with the black. I think it looks good and I don't have to worry about getting brain tumors from the dye. My hair is really like salt and pepper.

Old 02-29-2008, 02:27 PM

394 posts, read 1,506,469 times
I applaud women who feel comfortable with letting it go gray. I think some women look great with grey hair but a whole lot of us just have a dirty mousy dirty gray look. I'm sure not there yet as far as letting mine grow out. I have it colored about every 8 weeks (I'm lucky that I can go that long).

My DH doesn't comment much on what I do as far as make-up or fashion goes (i.e. he lets me "do my thing"), but as far as letting my hair go gray - he's says Please don't! I feel as if it really ages most of us. I think the ladies who look best with gray hair are the ones with fair complexions though. In the end we all have to decide what works best for us!

Old 02-29-2008, 03:12 PM

2,203 posts, read 3,360,937 times
I stopped coloring years ago and now my hair is all a beautiful silvery white shade. I love it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care