Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 09:13 AM

774 posts, read 2,601,698 times

Advertisements

I owned a Taurus revolver many years back that shot well for about a year before I started having timing issues with it. After sending back to the factory for repairs it was never the same and I sold it for a Python.

Shortly after that I picked up my first Semi Auto. It was a well used Beretta 92F made in Italy. For a long time the Python and 92F were my only two guns and they performed excellent for many years before I eventually sold the 92F for a Glock 19 (HUGE MISTAKE). KLept the Glock for a few months then let it go for a Sig P226 which is as close to a perfect weapon as I think i'm going to find.

I said all that to say this. About a year ago I saw the PT92 sitting in a case brand new for $400. It made me miss my old 92F and the price was right considering a real Beretta 92F was in the next case for $750ish. I bought it, waited my 3 days then went to pick it up. I brought it home, field stripped it and cleaned all the heavy grease and crap out of it. Oiled it and off to the range.

The first mag was solid but I was shooting about a foot low at 7 yrs. I adjusted the rear site as much as possible but was still about 5 inches low. I took the gun into the shop where the smith looked at it and recommended shaving the front site which I agreed to as he said he would do it for free.

The following day I returned to pick up the gun. The smith had filed the site and ran a couple of rounds through it and adjusted the rear site. The gun was now accurate and stayed that way for a dozen mags or so until it jammed. A case was stuck in the barrel and the extractor had broken. Back into the shop where the smith recommended sending it back to Taurus which we did. When it returned I shot it a couple of times and sold it. Felt I couldnt trust it so it had to go.

I plan to buy another Beretta 92 model at some point. I can tell you one thing. It won;t be another Taurus copy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2013, 11:00 AM

2,679 posts, read 11,733,760 times
I know Taurus gets a beating. I have a Taurus 605 from the defunct Custom Shop. It's from 1994. It runs great and I still use it.

The semiautos I have used were not as good. Trigger feel and weight weren't that great. However, from what I thought I knew about the Taurus PT is that they pretty much have the design/patent of the original beretta.

Old 05-25-2013, 02:05 PM

382 posts, read 588,313 times
My PT92fs is a decocker also. Dell I understand your experience, but but I have read experiences good and bad on both guns. When I bought my Beretta, I was told by a couple of people to buy extractors as they are a weak point. I have never had a problem with either of my 92s.

I had my last PT for many years and sold it and kept my Beretta that I still have. I had never had a problem even though I use all my own hand loads. Some factory. I had some old Egyptian SMG 9mm that had very hard primers. Some guns like my TT33 variant a type 213 in 9mm would not fire them. My Taurus ate them up just fine.
I had an 85 I bought for my wife, the springs on the trigger were a bit hard for her to use so I bought Wolf springs and installed them. They were lighter on the trigger but we only got about sixty percent fire. I reinstalled the old springs and sold the gun.

It was not the Taurus it was just too stiff on the springs. We bought a Ruger LCR and it works fine. Light enough for her and is an excellent gun. One gun both me and my brother bought that we had trouble with was the Taurus Slim series.

He bought the 40 and Me the 709 9mm. Both had cycling problems. We both sold them and feel that gun design needs some work to make it more reliable. Neither of us has had any problems with our PTs. I know if someone has 100 percent reliability with their slim, they would disagree with me. But of the two PTs I have owned and still own one and the one my brother owns they have been 100 percent, tight and smooth. The slide action and trigger on my gun are so smooth and tight its a pleasure just to wrack the slide back and forth.

Taurus gets a hard knock by people who just don't like it, not for any real reason, the same type who will hide a problem with another gun and trumpet a problem that they heard form a guy who heard if from another guy that had a friend who had a problem.

I had the same argument with Kahr people. They will die telling me how great the gun is. I had one and it had a problems. Kahr would not take it back to fix,and I sold it. Kahr sold me another at cost because I filed a case in the BBB. I had problems with it and gave up on Kahr.

People who love Kahr will call me everything but a white man and defend the honor of their baby to the death. I just won't one a Kahr.

I had a Beretta Tomcat. It had a spring break that tipped up the barrel after shooting about 20 rounds. It caused the barrel to jam. I did get ahold of Beretta and they did take it back and fix it, but it made me feel a bit off on the gun. Also I am not a 32 fan so I sold it.

My PT shoots great and feels great and I would bet my life on it as I would my Beretta. I can find threads on how great each one is and threads on how bad each one is.

Titan, from what I have read, Taurus bought the factory and set up from Beretta and even hired some of the engineers to stay on. I love the darn gun. I would recommend it to anyone.

One other gun that gets just blasted by an almost set up amount of hate, the Smith and Wesson 9VE/sigma. I bought one at a great price about 4 years ago. Went to a gun show and had some cash and it was about over and I had to buy something. I was talking to an old drill Sargent at the KC gun show, if anyone goes there they know him by his R Lee Ermy look drill Sgt. hat and all, and his yelling about Obama and the end of the world. Anyway, he had a Sigma SS with two mags for 295 new, and a rebate form for 50 bucks back from Smith. I bought it. Got my 50 bucks back and so was all in for about 250 new.

I shot that gun and it was very accurate and reliable. Never had a problem with it. The trigger was stiff, but I took it apart and removed the pig tail spring and it was about 50 percent better and then took out one of the trigger return springs and replaced it with a wolf spring that was lighter. That made it about 10 percent or more of an acceptable trigger. I then took the transfer bar out and polished it and it was no glock trigger but it was not that bad and a great gun for 250 bucks.

Now you go on several forum and many will tell you your better off with a rock and stick then a Sigma. Most of them are die hard Glock nuts. I like both my Glocks and have nothing bad to say about them, but the Sigma is not a bad gun at all. If someone does not have the extra 6 bills to throw at a Glock, the Sigma is not a bad choice and I would not feel under armed or that I had an weapon that was not reliable. I still love the grip on that gun. Even more than the M&P I bought when I sold it. I sold my Sigma not because it was junk, but someone offered me 400 bucks for it and I knew a guy who needed money and had bought a new M&P and wanted 400 bucks new. I made the deal fast. My Nissan gets good MPG and is as reliable as any car but if I could trade for a Challenger I would be a fool not to.

Old 05-25-2013, 02:40 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,077,296 times
I've owned both a Taurus (purchased in the early 2000s) and an older model Beretta (unknown age). The Taurus was cheap, and it wasn't a very accurate shooter at all. Took it to the range and had three different people try it out to see what their results would be. We all shot OK groups, but way to the left if I recall. So we start to move the rear sight and you can't even move the thing all the way to one side because it actually is used to hold down a spring of some sort (and possibly a small plastic piece). We all agreed it was the most bizarre set-up ever. The rear sight is supposed to be adjustable, and while I'm sure Taurus didn't desire the sight to have to be moved to an extreme left or right, using an adjustable sight to contained an important piece, under tension, just seemed "cheap" to me and others. The Beretta shot much better. Both were reliable and never jammed or misfired.

Old 05-25-2013, 06:06 PM

82 posts, read 92,463 times
Someone should mention the "open ejection port" of this design. I wish more handguns had it. It's one of the reason the pistol is so reliable. The whole port is open upon ejection of the spent case. You aren't cramming a empty through a slot or half covered hole.

Up and OUT she goes!

Old 05-25-2013, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who's_Next View Post
Someone should mention the "open ejection port" of this design. I wish more handguns had it. It's one of the reason the pistol is so reliable. The whole port is open upon ejection of the spent case. You aren't cramming a empty through a slot or half covered hole.

Up and OUT she goes!
That is a good design.

---

I had the Sigma when it first came out in the 90s. For me it was a POS, through and through. I don't even remember what I ended up trading it for. I had FTFs, FTEs, and the trigger was horrendous. Since then I even stayed far away from the M&P. Hence my decision with a Glock. A buddy needed some cash so I bought his XDM Compact 9mm. To me, it's not bad, either.

We had power outages throughout our town recently. I carried the XDM 9mm Compact with 19+1 because I didn't know if there was going to be chaos or looting. I even slept with my shotgun at my side.

Old 05-26-2013, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
That is a good design.

---

I had the Sigma when it first came out in the 90s. For me it was a POS, through and through. I don't even remember what I ended up trading it for. I had FTFs, FTEs, and the trigger was horrendous. Since then I even stayed far away from the M&P. Hence my decision with a Glock. A buddy needed some cash so I bought his XDM Compact 9mm. To me, it's not bad, either.

We had power outages throughout our town recently. I carried the XDM 9mm Compact with 19+1 because I didn't know if there was going to be chaos or looting. I even slept with my shotgun at my side.
WOW my experience with the Sigma was the polar opposite. I had the same problem with the trigger, very stiff. Fixed 80% or so of it by removing and replacing springs. Never had a FTF or FTE. Although my Sigma was made about 2010. I actually like the gun. The M&P, I have to admit your missing a whole different world there. That gun is one of the best all around guns and more accurate than any gun I have ever shot or owned. I replaced front and rear sights with HiViz and its even better. Its a work of art IMO. The M&P is why the shield is impossible to find right now. I have never shot the XD series but I have held them. They just don't feel right in my hand. I don't like the high bore axis of the gun to the hand. So they wont work for me. But I really don't need one if so many other guns work for me.

Old 05-26-2013, 09:55 AM

I just prefer the fuller grips of Glocks. Because I shoot 1911s, the Springfield XDM and XDs just point naturally for me.

I have enough polymer pistols, though, so I won't be getting an M&P:
Glock 30/36/27/23
Springfield XDM 9mm Compact

--
I just shot my Coonan 1911 357 Magnum last week and I wasn't hitting my 50 and 75 yard plates, like I did when I first acquired it - i only shot 10 rounds in it, though. So I just stuck with my S&W Performance center revolvers: 627 and 586 L-Comp for the rest of my ammo boxes.

Old 05-29-2013, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
I just prefer the fuller grips of Glocks. Because I shoot 1911s, the Springfield XDM and XDs just point naturally for me.

I have enough polymer pistols, though, so I won't be getting an M&P:
Glock 30/36/27/23
Springfield XDM 9mm Compact

--
I just shot my Coonan 1911 357 Magnum last week and I wasn't hitting my 50 and 75 yard plates, like I did when I first acquired it - i only shot 10 rounds in it, though. So I just stuck with my S&W Performance center revolvers: 627 and 586 L-Comp for the rest of my ammo boxes.
I bought a 686 some 30 years ago, when the came out. I had a 66 that rusted in a foam case that must have had some chemical that destroyed the oxide coating. I love my Glock's, but I know of some people who think its shaking hands with a 2x4.

Old 05-29-2013, 06:54 PM

Long fingers help with shooting for me.

The Coonan and my H&K Mark 23 are stretching it. Though I can shoot 8" plates, one out to 75 and one out to 50 yards, respectively.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting