Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What should the general public be allowed to posses?
Anything, including weapons that the Gov doesn't have. 137 65.55%
Restricted to what Gov has. 31 14.83%
Restricted to far less than what the Gov has. 23 11.00%
Restricted to hunting rifles and shotguns only. 21 10.05%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 209. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 08:00 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
Well, after getting slammed in the New Hampshire thread about how 'evil' AP ammo and all the 'bad' guns are that owned by civilians, just wanted to get some opinions here....
We as civilians can own just about anything (legally) (I know the restrictions well, and old sears are worth their weight in gold).

Not sure how to set up a 'poll' on this thread.....

lol, ap ammo is a joke. any centerfire rifle calber cartridge shot from a rifle is ultimately more powerful than any ap round coming out of a pistol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2012, 07:40 PM

134 posts, read 147,784 times
Quote:
Well, after getting slammed in the New Hampshire thread about how 'evil' AP ammo and all the 'bad' guns are that owned by civilians, just wanted to get some opinions here....
We as civilians can own just about anything (legally) (I know the restrictions well, and old sears are worth their weight in gold).

May 19th 1986 and the '89 AWB NEVER happened! That's about as good as it should get. NFA '34 WOULD STILL BE IN PLACE. I don't give a damn about the Class III $200 tax stamp and paperwork. I just would like to be able to buy whatever the hell I wanted!

Old 04-21-2012, 07:50 PM

Just think guys, a HK MP5-A3 (NOT OLD) would no longer be $18,000+. You could take it home for less than $1,500! Since I'm a tightwad, that $4,000 M-11 is too damn expensive. I'll buy one again for $350! You can't ask for more than that!

Old 04-21-2012, 08:01 PM

That reminds me of a friend of mine. I was standing next to him in 1985 as he was buying a Colt M16 A1 in cherry condition at a gun show for $1,200. His hands were shaking as he was counting out those hundreds to pay for it. I remember him saying that his wife was gonna kill him and he thought he was getting ripped off at the time! He STILL owns that M16 BTW! Even he says what a dumba$$ he was back then!

Old 04-22-2012, 09:48 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times
Quote:

If I was calling the shots:

Everything that is legal now in non-AWB states for general ownership would be legal countrywide.

Convicted felons, mentally ill people, those convicted of Domestic Violence would not be allowed to own firearms.

CW permits should be issued on a federal level and be valid across the country; training should be readily avaliable in each state but be far more intensive, more like what a future LEO gets in the Police Academy.

Legal to keep loaded firearms in you home, business, personal vehicle, ect.

NFA rules should still generally apply, but the pre '86 cap should go away on NFA weapons.

No grenades, exploding ammo, bombs, weapons of mass destruction, personal tactical nuclear missile ownership or drinking more than 2 beers in one sitting at the range.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:20 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,448,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
lol, ap ammo is a joke. any centerfire rifle calber cartridge shot from a rifle is ultimately more powerful than any ap round coming out of a pistol.
Wasn't talking about pistols (in the other thread). I was talking about body armor, and a Class IV will stop a 30.06 rifle round (once)....

Personally, my preference is tungsten/steel-cored ammo for my .50BMG. Not much stops that. If you think that AP ammo is a joke, then bring your car over to my field, leave it running, and let me place just one shot at the front fender. (BTW, I hope you have AAA, and a tow truck, as the motor will be toast).

One specific example of where a pistol (well revolver) dwarfs a relatively high-powered rifle: my S&W Model 500 has 3,035 ft-lbs of muzzle energy.. which is more than a 30.06.

Last edited by SuperSparkle928; 04-23-2012 at 07:29 AM..

Old 04-23-2012, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
If I was calling the shots:

Everything that is legal now in non-AWB states for general ownership would be legal countrywide.

Convicted felons, mentally ill people, those convicted of Domestic Violence would not be allowed to own firearms.

CW permits should be issued on a federal level and be valid across the country; training should be readily avaliable in each state but be far more intensive, more like what a future LEO gets in the Police Academy.

Legal to keep loaded firearms in you home, business, personal vehicle, ect.

NFA rules should still generally apply, but the pre '86 cap should go away on NFA weapons.

No grenades, exploding ammo, bombs, weapons of mass destruction, personal tactical nuclear missile ownership or drinking more than 2 beers in one sitting at the range.

well, I am glad you are not calling the shots.

it should be as it was pre NFA34 and let anyone have anything they want as long as the military uses it or has used it in the past.

you dont want felons to have or use firearms? then keep them in jail.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:23 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,958,318 times
Quote:

As a lifetime NRA Member, I have VERY strong opinions on this matter. There are no bad guns, only bad people.

I do know there are some really bad people in certain southern parts of the country who have beliefs that are anti-American, and/or anti what America stands for. These people (idiots really) wrap themelves in the Flag and claim to be "real" Americans with their "militia" but really are only pro-white (you guys know who I am talking about), and I think groups like this (and those that are members) that are defintitely hate groups and anti what the country about, SHOULD be banned from possessing certain types of weapons. Other than that, I think that if I am a law abiding citizen, with no criminal history, and decent credit, with no parolee or convicted felon making residence where I live, I should be allowed to legally own and possess any type of firearm I want.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:35 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,550,038 times
Quote:

As usual, when one sets up a poll they never set up to cover all the options, and yours is no different. In our case, None of the Above

DH is an active member of NRA, routinely participates in IDPA, USPSA, (aka: IPSC). I used to go to the range with him, but found shooting raises my aggression and opted against going that route. It doesn't seem to have that effect with him, but relaxes him.

Still, neither of us believe that guns should be transported anywhere but in a locked gun case, and never shot outside of a licensed gun range (indoors or outdoors).

We do not support hunting, but believe that we are culling the herds or flocks by our very existence, and no further culling is necessary.

Personally, I would be happy to have a membership range with the firearms available for check out, like a library, so you could go shoot whatever you like, and then pay for only the use and the ammo.

We don't need guns. We need an orderly, safe society free from the threat of guns, knives, and other lethal weapons. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns? Of course. Then confiscate them, and make the punishment a mandatory ten years of hard-labor community service in the community where the guns were seized.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Wasn't talking about pistols (in the other thread). I was talking about body armor, and a Class IV will stop a 30.06 rifle round (once)....

Personally, my preference is tungsten/steel-cored ammo for my .50BMG. Not much stops that. If you think that AP ammo is a joke, then bring your car over to my field, leave it running, and let me place just one shot at the front fender. (BTW, I hope you have AAA, and a tow truck, as the motor will be toast).

One specific example of where a pistol (well revolver) dwarfs a relatively high-powered rifle: my S&W Model 500 has 3,035 ft-lbs of muzzle energy.. which is more than a 30.06.

actually, ap 308 at point blank will not go through my front fender. my vehicle weighs a bit under 8000 pounds empty.
I already tried.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting