Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 08:16 AM

4,098 posts, read 7,106,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxondale351 View Post
If you really read all the bad press, its mostly people who don't like it because its not a Colt, Smith ect. I get it, but that does not make it a bad or not well made gun. No its not a copy of the 1911a1. But it functions well, is made of steel that some have said is soft but I have never experienced any problems with it being true. People in general are like the kids in High School who would wear Chevy or Ford shirts and no other manufacture would cut it. Its brand loyalty that the manufacturers use to get inside some peoples heads and it never leaves. Its just that simple, I would rather fight than switch, 9 out of 10 Drs recommend Winston, ect. Once a person gets a brand be it a auto or gun or mac and cheese manufacture in their head they are hooked many times for life. Its a non thinking way people act on mass. You can be free of this and still like your brands, just admit that you like it because of the brand. I like Colt 1911s not because they are the best, but I like the history of the brand. Even Rock River arms that I have shot and my old Norinco 1911 was a good 1911 that never gave me a problem. I just did not like the fact I had a chinese 1911. I don't want an American AK or a Chinese SAA. Not that they can not make one that is just as good. Most people have to resort to its either all bad or all good mentality. Its never the case.
Sorry, I just don't agree with you. Colt isn't the best just because it has been around a long time. In my opinion, Colt is not the best. If we are talking about the best value then look at Rock River Armory, or look at Taurus. Llama doesn't come close to either in workmanship. A Llama pistol is by no means worthless or in the same class as a Hi Point, but the workmanship on the one's I've owned were not all that good. I don't think brand loyalty has anything to do with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2013, 03:06 PM

1,507 posts, read 1,974,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
Sorry, I just don't agree with you. Colt isn't the best just because it has been around a long time. In my opinion, Colt is not the best. If we are talking about the best value then look at Rock River Armory, or look at Taurus. Llama doesn't come close to either in workmanship. A Llama pistol is by no means worthless or in the same class as a Hi Point, but the workmanship on the one's I've owned were not all that good. I don't think brand loyalty has anything to do with it.
I think you missed my point. I never said Colt made the best 1911. I said for me I prefer Colts because of the history of the firm. I agree RRA makes a good copy of the 1911 and I don't know what they go for now but at one time a few years back you could pick on up for 350. I bought a Norinco about 15 years ago for 250 and now they hold a premium because many like to do make overs on them. I like colts and that is my brand loyalty. Its not because of any reason other than that. I also like Taurus. I know some of the guns I have owned were not designed well, the 709 slim was not a good design. I had problems with it and sold it off. My brother had a 740 slim and had the same FTF and FTE issues. Sold it off and bought a Taurus PT92 and has never had a problem. I have had two PT92s still have one and also a Beretta 92 and actually prefer the Taurus. The Llamas I have shot and owned were fine guns. No issues. I would not pay close to what I would for a good colt but thats just being smart. A colt will hold value more than a Llama. The guns of Llama are just not that looked for. If you can't get a bargain then why buy one? When I talk about brand loyalty its for those who will not look at any other gun but a Glock, or a Colt, or Ruger and all others are crap.

I can remember when many stuck their nose up at the interarms PPK American, now they hold a premium. I got my PPK American when my wife worked at Walmart and she got a 10% discount. I think we got it fot 359 back in the 80s. Still have it in the gray box it came in.

Look at the Sigma, I have argued with so many dolts who try to tell me its a paper weight. NOPE, its a good gun. Its not really sexy but its not bad and its cheap at 300 to 325 new and it works every time. Trigger is stiff yes true. But it works. I try not to bash guns just because I don't like them. Kahr is one I don't like and will not buy. Its just me, most Kahr owners love the guns, and I have shot and owned a couple. There are several reasons I don't like them, and none have to do with quality, its just me. Sometimes the chemistry is not right.

Old 10-18-2013, 03:41 PM

6 posts, read 14,476 times
My guns are not for sale. I am a ATF license gun collector and buy guns to keep , not to sell.
jeepjockey

Old 10-18-2013, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepjockey View Post
My guns are not for sale. I am a ATF license gun collector and buy guns to keep , not to sell.
jeepjockey
I also have a C&R lisc. I buy guns but I also sell them. Sometimes to up grade and other times just to cull the pack. If I kept every gun I bought I would have no room to live and I would spend every day cleaning and oiling.

Old 10-18-2013, 07:30 PM

My wife died 2 years ago So I clean and oil guns about every day. I also go to the rifle range a couple of times a week and try to shoot all my guns so they wont get lonely.I guess you could say guns are my hobby.I have been fooling around with guns off and on for about 65 years.My grandkids inheretence will be empty shell casings.LOL!
jeepjockey.

Old 10-18-2013, 07:36 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,948,582 times
I once had a .380 Llama and it was one of the toughest handguns I've ever owned. It would fire any brand of ammunition I fed through it with nothing more than casual maintenance. I also reloaded ammunition for it and even running many thousands of rounds of max pressure through it, the thing never skipped a beat and showed little evidence of wear on bearing or impact metal surfaces.

While the metal finish on the insides was nothing to shine about, highly polished internals not part of bearing/mating surfaces doesn't contribute to how well a firearm functions anyway. I'd like to have another. That Llama was accurate given the type of pistol it was and as reliable as any other.

Old 10-18-2013, 07:40 PM

Remington made a much stronger BP revolver than Colt and much better conversion than Colt. Colt 73 revolver 44 and Winchester 44-40 might have won the west but I like Remington better. They made a better type writer ,too.LOL

Old 10-18-2013, 07:42 PM

Supply and demand controls the price of everything.

Old 10-20-2013, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepjockey View Post
Supply and demand controls the price of everything.
Have you ever heard of manipulation?

Old 10-21-2013, 01:30 PM

12,946 posts, read 13,336,259 times
Mack, I had a Llama .380 in the late 60s. It was a neat little gun and worked ok, but it wasn't anywhere near the quality piece as my Colt Government .380 from the 1980s:

Saxondale, you are correct about the Colts vs the Remingtons of the CW era. Remingtons were a stronger design.

My brother has a Remington Navy converted to .38 Rimfire. It was carried in the 1880s by a constable in NW Missouri:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting