Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 04:03 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,862,309 times

Advertisements

LionKing, thanks for the pictures! Those are definitely nice rifles!

I'll take a picture of my M1-A and AR-15 and post them here sometime this week.

As for the firearms I have -
I have 4 pistols:
Ruger P89 - 9mm Luger
Colt 1911 - 45 ACP
Smith & Wesson model 686 revolver - .357 magnum
Ruger Redhawk revolver - .44 magnum

Long guns:
Remington model 870 12 gauge shotgun
German Mauser M98 target rifle (refurbished) - 22-250 Remington
Colt AR-15 H-Bar - .223 Remington
Remington 700 BDL hunting rifle (synthetic stock) - 6MM Remington
Savage 110VE target rifle - 25-06 Remington
Ruger M77 target rifle - .280 Remington
Ruger M77 MKIV target rifle - .308 Winchester
Ruger M77 MKII hunting rifle - .300 Winchester magnum
International Arms AK-47 (semi-auto) - 7.62 x 39
Springfield M1-A - (synthetic stock) .308 Winchster
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2007, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boycew02 View Post
I'm not completely sure of the laws regarding handguns in Britain but they're definately a lot stricter than in the US. As for shotguns or long guns they are legal but again there are very strict laws about who can have a license and who cannot. People don't tend to keep firearms for self-defense as much here in Britain because the legal system here is such a shambles that the person who pulled the trigger to defend themselves could very possibly find themselves being sued.
I know about England's strict gun laws, and that's too bad BoyCew. I definitely feel a deep sense of sympathy for the British law abiding gun owners, who were forced to turn in their hand guns after they were banned in the late 1990's, all of whom were very displeased with their government's actions because they felt THEY are being punished for the actions of criminals. I remember one of them saying "Why am I being punished? I'm not guilty of any wrong-doing!".

Old 09-11-2007, 04:54 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,573,062 times
Looks as if you all have many impressive guns. Interesting information concerning British laws re: guns and such. My husband and I used to have many guns but sold most of them many years ago when construction jobs were hard to find and the winter weather kicked in. Sold loading equipment also. Darn....

Now, no problem there, but confine our shooting to .22 for target practice and teaching grandsons safety and accuracy when they visit.

It is a great hobby and we used to spend a lot of time shooting at the local gun club on the weekends. Interesting thread here Magnum...

Old 09-11-2007, 08:06 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,348,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delaneyland View Post
Ranch rifles are not popular for their accuracy, I've got three and can spray a three inch at a hundred yards. Good enough for me. I'm curious about public land given to ranchers....not that I would move to ca, but if the gov't is giving land to ranchers, I just may.
It's some kind of lease, i'm not sure how it works.

Old 09-12-2007, 07:21 AM

Location: Boonies of Georgia ~~~~ nuttier than a squirrel turd !
1,950 posts, read 5,159,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
What AZ91 said.If you don't know much about using a firearm getting a certified instructor might be good also.Taurus are well made,with a lifetime warrenty.
Thank you Lionking and AZ91 !
Unfortunately I am living (staying) in Georgia and a resident of another state.
Where I am at in Georgia, they only offer a once a month (supervised)practice at the police shooting range. They do not let you rent/use different guns.(which I was hoping for when I started my search)
I did have to return to my state of residence to purchase the gun.
Because of the lack of knowledge, I am signing up for a few courses. I am just not comfortable owning one and not having the experience or knowledge of the complete makeup of a gun. And when I take these courses, it will also certify me for a concealed weapons permit.
I live in the middle of the woods on just about 6 acres and one side is up againts a hunt club. So I am told I can shoot all day long if I wish.
I have been conteplating this purchase for almost a year, so many thoughts have gone into it.
In comparison shopping, since I know nothing, I have decided that this probably won't be my only purchase. Just something to bring a little comfort at this moment.

I'D RATHER HAVE IT AND NOT USE IT.... THAN NEED IT AND NOT HAVE IT.

Again thanks to all, and I look forward to discussing things with you all. (if you don't mind a novice!)

Old 09-12-2007, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theqbaby View Post
I'D RATHER HAVE IT AND NOT USE IT.... THAN NEED IT AND NOT HAVE IT.

Well said! For the most part, criminals don't want to mess with anybody who is armed.

The main reason I have guns is to shoot paper targets and hunting, and thank God I've never had to use one for self-defense, and I hope it never comes to that.

Old 09-12-2007, 08:47 AM

Location: Boonies of Georgia ~~~~ nuttier than a squirrel turd !
1,950 posts, read 5,159,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
Well said! For the most part, criminals don't want to mess with anybody who is armed.

The main reason I have guns is to shoot paper targets and hunting, and thank God I've never had to use one for self-defense, and I hope it never comes to that.
I agree !
I don't think I will have to use it, but my thoughts have been proven wrong in the past.I can be too trusting at times. I am just too far out in the boonies. Having moved from big city into the middle of nowhere (exactly where I wanted to be), it is a big difference.
I just need a little confidence that I might be able to handle a situation, or convince someone to think twice about their actions. If that makes sense.
Who know what could pop out of the woods as far as animals. We have deer,bobcats,boars,snakes... which unless I feel threatened, I am perfectly fine with admiring from a distance.

I have never been a big fan of guns, until now. I think knowledge and RESPECT are two major requirements in owning a gun.
I will also be doing some target practice and who knows, it may turn into a hobby.
I am not out to use it on anyone, but I am not willing to put my self at anyones mercy either. Self preservation at this point.

Old 09-12-2007, 11:40 AM

13,608 posts, read 21,391,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theqbaby View Post
I agree !
I don't think I will have to use it, but my thoughts have been proven wrong in the past.I can be too trusting at times. I am just too far out in the boonies. Having moved from big city into the middle of nowhere (exactly where I wanted to be), it is a big difference.
I just need a little confidence that I might be able to handle a situation, or convince someone to think twice about their actions. If that makes sense.
Who know what could pop out of the woods as far as animals. We have deer,bobcats,boars,snakes... which unless I feel threatened, I am perfectly fine with admiring from a distance.

I have never been a big fan of guns, until now. I think knowledge and RESPECT are two major requirements in owning a gun.
I will also be doing some target practice and who knows, it may turn into a hobby.
I am not out to use it on anyone, but I am not willing to put my self at anyones mercy either. Self preservation at this point.
Besides the self defense issue there are so many things that make it fun.Challenging would the most fun about it.There are many varibles in target shooting.The fireram you use,the ammo that you use,the targets that you use,the positions that you shoot from.

It is fun,it is stress relief.And for people like me who besides liking firearms in general I like surplus arms because the history involved in it.The M1 Garand for example,there are many variations between manufactures when they made them.Everything from stock cartouches,the parkerizing,the codes on the parts.It is hard to find one "like new",collecting Garands alone is interesting because of all those factors.Even one that has seen better days is a joy to shoot,and prices are only going up on them so investment wise it makes sense also.Many people restore them to "as new" condition searching for parts that are correct to the time frame of the year and manufacturer who made it.

Shooting clay pigeons is a hoot also with shotgun.Believe me there is more to just pointing a gun,it takes practice to get better,at that is what makes it so fun.

Old 09-12-2007, 12:07 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,573,062 times
I agree about shooting clay pigeons with a shotgun. Excellent 'hand/eye coordination' test, as well as using the ole brain. Our local gun club offers such periodically as well as turkey/ham shoots. Still enjoy that. Also we do deer hunt and enjoy venison. But that's nother topic.

Old 09-12-2007, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delaneyland View Post
Ranch rifles are not popular for their accuracy, I've got three and can spray a three inch at a hundred yards. Good enough for me. I'm curious about public land given to ranchers....not that I would move to ca, but if the gov't is giving land to ranchers, I just may.
I had a Ruger Mini-14 13 years ago, and yes, the accuracy on it wasn't that impressive, but it was a good rifle. I traded it in for the AR-15 that I have now in 1994.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting