Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 09:42 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,961,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrackly View Post
There is a lot of reality to your statements. Modern humans have become so far removed from the natural world that those in their suburban bliss overlooking a wooded horizon from their deck, eating sushi, and sipping Mojitos don't realize;
a.)how much wildlife was displaced to allow for their venue, which now, by virtue of their proximity to wildlife, puts them at risk for zoonotic diseases like Lyme, distemper, rabies as well as the possible actual confrontation with cornered, threatened wildlife.
b.) that the human encroachment on habitat now makes necessary a certain amount of hunting or culling of wildlife in order to maintain something resembling the original ecology which now is thrown out of whack by spreading human populations.
c.) that most hunters consume their kills and their quarry leads a far more desirable life than their domesticated cousins raised in filthy, crowded pens so they can be properly presented as various cuts wrapped in polyethylene at the local Safeway.
I take no issue with people who accept vegetarianism as a moral commitment, but many don't take into account how much petroleum is pumped out, at risk to the natural environment, to facilitate the manufacture, freighting, marketing, and promotion of their non-animal goods.

Bingo....

Modern humans displace wild game, and everything else, to build ski resorts, condos, smack center in deer yards, and then wonder why the store bought plant shrubbery is eatten to the roots.

We build interstates right thru the areas most remote so 'WE' don't need to distrube PEOPLE, in moving their homes, town roads, and or hear the roar of the wheels on interstates.

The end result is wildlife are killed every day. The Feds and Insurance folks HIRE Hunters, and these hunters work out of season, and out of Natural time, to reduce and thin heards of certain game.

I can only assume anti hunters kill wild game as well as hunters with CARS.

I know some hunters that do or are near will claim the game and deal with it, but so far I never heard of any anti making claim for more than the damage to their car.

The anti condo owners complain that something must be done to save their store bought shrubbery as well, but no killing mind you. As if it is easy to 'just' capture game, and then 'just' move it some place a bit more wild.

Maybe we should move most of NH's Moose to a desert in Nevada or something. PA's deer to a island off South America.

Just maybe we shouldn't clear cut a whole mountain range, and create ski resorts, more condos, and more roads. Certianly a wall mart and combined parking lot is more important than a deer yard.

That comment on drinking and drunk hunters is rather vile. First of all I don't drink to get drunk, and 2ndly I don't hunt, shoot, or drive drunk.

Come to think of it I don't mow the lawn, run a chain saw or other dangerous things drunk either, in fact I can't recall the last time i socialized in a tavern, or was drunk under the eyes of law.

I find that curious, since to hunt game means being able to see straight, read the land as if it were pages in a book.

I highly doubt I could snap shoot for game birds, and get them drunk.

Hick, well yeah I am all that and more, and dammned proud of it.

One hick thing I like to do is practice fire by bow drill. I can, and do that in 120 seconds every time.

I teach it for hire too. I will always have access to fire for it, and with out fire man is nothing.

Now, I have been to the Smithsonian in DC, where i assume my non-hick brethern have set up a display of fire by bow drill, and do they ever have that display WRONG.

So WHO is the smarter again?

It just so happens I lived off the land for 3 full years, better than 1,095 days in a tee pee. Now those fine folks down at the musem have a tee pee, and it's set up with double the poles required. Why this is, I have no idea. I mentioned that to the staff, and they didn't know why either. But there is little to no use of any 34 poles to set up a tee pee.

As a life long hunter I can navigate in the dense woods of New England with no watch and no compass, and the once in my life to get lost, it wasn't for lack of knowing which way to go, but for lack of light to see by.

Being forced to stay out in the woods with no food, and no camping gear was easy, since I know how to make fire, and sleep. I made tea and ate a few bits of wild plants I know are safe once I made fire and could see them.

Several times I have encountered lost hikers, with compass, watches, and even GPS with dead batterys i guess; in a wild panic. They had cold skin, wild looking eyes, and no packs. Well that isn't true exactly, they had packs, but abandoned their packs to make speed.

What good is speed when you don't know where you are going?

Back a ways in the 80's i lost a friend of mine, Albert Dow to avalanch in the White Mts. He was searching for 2 novice hikers lost in the woods. These hikers abandoned their packs too, and Yankee Magazine made heros of these fools, yet a wise woodland skills tech died for their folly.

All the time I find proof of people in the woods who do not belong there. I find toliet papers in the dead center of a trail commonly, I once found a medical pill container, and grabbed it up thinking I might find the owner who might need what ever meds the container contained. It was Car gasoline! I got car gasloine on my winter mitts! This is just WRONG.

As a hunter, I get to see game most others do not. Years before the state of NH finally admitted to we have puma and wolves naturally, not introduced, i knew that, because I had seen them first hand.

Since late spring, I have seen 9 black bear, one in my driveway. This driveway is 1/2 mile long. I have seem more moose than I can recount just this spring. 30+ something.

Hunnting all my life taught me woodland skills, geology (tools), most kinds of trees, what the woods in these trees are good for, and how to tell what a kind of tree is, any time of year, leaves or no leaves, and by the grain for carpentry work. Hunting has taught me how to sew, and make clothing from head to toe, and make clothing for my wife.

Hunting has taught me how to use parts of game most hunters don't bother with anymore but they could, and i wish they would.

I don't mean a Cabella's antler lamps either. I make bone needles, and bodkins. I use teeth and toe bones for game counters, I use leg bones for knife handles, containers, quill flatteners, and more. I use the hoof parts to line soft knife cases and to make musical instrument rattles. The hides, besides clothing make drum heads.

I use organs for things too, but don't dare get into that on this site. But with some of these i can make water portable, or create a water tight garment, plus containers for fine grain substances, even boil water.

So I have no problem at all being called a hick.

Last edited by Mac_Muz; 07-27-2010 at 09:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2010, 12:52 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,413,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsteelers247 View Post
Idk what animals eating other animals has to do with it, but to counter your argument, think of what you just said in the most simplified way. We came in to THEIR environment, we overpopulated it with ourselves, therefore giving the deer a limited amount of natural habitat, causing them to overpopulate, then killing them. Should we start killing humans for overpopulating the world?

Would that be a better solution in your view?

Old 07-27-2010, 07:38 PM

1,777 posts, read 4,858,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choosing78 View Post
maybe points 1-3 are presumed because hunters hide in the woods, take a loaded rifle, aim it at a defenseless animal, pull the trigger and then call it "sport".

Maybe it's because people like this, who have no comprehension of why one would want to test their skill in such a manner, are allowed to have opinions. And children

Old 07-27-2010, 08:02 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,760,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
Would that be a better solution in your view?
I would say yes, but that's why we have natural disasters.

Old 07-28-2010, 12:09 AM

558 posts, read 818,709 times
Quote:
No. We were before guns were invented. Think about it. If we were in a completely natural state we would all be herbivores. What can you do with a set of fingernails and dull teeth.
No, we'd be omnivores because one of the first things we'd do is build tools with which to hunt. We're predators.

Old 07-28-2010, 12:38 AM

221 posts, read 364,686 times
Quote:
Hunters seem to have this mentality that it's ok to hunt because it's a century old tradition. Not hunting for food like the first humans did, but shooting a buck shot into an oblivious deer that had no idea it's day was going to consist of any more than grazing and sleeping. I personally think it's cruel and sick, but any old tradition will have it's defenders. This may be a little off topic from what the OP is talking about, but in Michigan I noticed there was a hunting range, basically a fancy word for fenced in defenseless animals that are raised for people to come in and shoot them. I almost vomited when I drove past it. I know this is overused, but if a deer had tha capabilites to shoot a gun how would the hunter like it if he were just walking through the woods and a deer shot him, tracked him down, and then felt no remorse for ending his life.
I understand your feelings, but in reality, do you ever eat a hamburger or any other animal flesh? Then *someone*, even if it's not your, kills the animal. And trust me, it's very production line.

Unfortunately every life is built upon the pile of skeletons of what it has eaten to survive.

Were I able, I'd re-engineer life so we all just soaked up the sun directly, but at it is, be it by God, evolution or something else, nature is pretty much the story of what-eats-what.

I don't like it, but I'm stuck in a body and have to deal with it.

So ultimately hunting, even if not fair, is just a harvesting technique.

I hate that life works this way, but don't have a solution either. Even if I eat alfalfa sprouts I'm killing baby plants.

Best I can suggest is, if you decide to eat meat, try for a one shot kill and make the prey suffer as little as possible.

Old 07-28-2010, 12:48 AM

1,780 posts, read 1,760,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmadison2 View Post
I understand your feelings, but in reality, do you ever eat a hamburger or any other animal flesh? Then *someone*, even if it's not your, kills the animal. And trust me, it's very production line.

Unfortunately every life is built upon the pile of skeletons of what it has eaten to survive.

Were I able, I'd re-engineer life so we all just soaked up the sun directly, but at it is, be it by God, evolution or something else, nature is pretty much the story of what-eats-what.

I don't like it, but I'm stuck in a body and have to deal with it.

So ultimately hunting, even if not fair, is just a harvesting technique.

I hate that life works this way, but don't have a solution either. Even if I eat alfalfa sprouts I'm killing baby plants.

Best I can suggest is, if you decide to eat meat, try for a one shot kill and make the prey suffer as little as possible.
I know, I explained my points were rather irrelevant in a later post. I said I don't eat meat unless somebody is serving it at a dinner I am invited to, for the sake of being polite. But I agree with everything you said. I know we've been eating animals forever. But in a perfect world we would just be in the wild, hunting only for what we needed.

Old 07-28-2010, 05:02 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,413,020 times
Quote:
I would say yes, but that's why we have natural disasters.

The reality is that we are part of nature. Its natural for us to kill things & eat them. Its much more natural & less harmfull for the environment for me to go kill a deer & eat it than it is for another person to go buy even one cheeseburger.

99% of anti hunting sentiment is based on human emotional drivel which does no one any good.

We, as humans manipulate the world around us in alot of ways & one result of that is a need to do what natures predators used to do. That its a natural thing for us to do is a big bonus to those of us who enjoy it.

Old 07-28-2010, 07:52 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,961,276 times
My wife is outside just now murdering yellow beans and green beans. I can hear them screeming. Yesterday I personaly killed over 300 japanaese bettles, 2 green grubs a cut worm japanaese grubs, I assume are 2nd generation, and if that dam deer jumps the fence again, and I catch it, it too will die, but atleast it will go in the freezer.

Veggie heads need to spend more time making their own foods since buying any store bought grains is going to contain animal fats and bone meal. There is animal parts in any store bought fertilizers too. Womens make ups are loaded with animal parts. Urine even.

All animals are on Earth for the use of man. It is the abuse of man I disagree with.

Last edited by Mac_Muz; 07-28-2010 at 09:19 AM..

Old 07-28-2010, 08:50 AM

2,788 posts, read 8,013,046 times
Another point that I find amusing about anti-hunter folk is that they fail to understand evolution. The deer or the woodchuck don't truly discern a difference between getting eaten by a human or a mountain lion. All these critters we've come to admire and enjoy are what they are because of how they evolved in their respective food chains. Deer would not have big, lovely eyes and elegant legs if they didn't need to see predators at night and make quick evasive sprints. Cattle would not need the companionship of their own kind if herding behavior did not help protect them from harm and enable collective food foraging. God made ALL these beautiful creatures and plants to function in a system that is cyclical, self-sustaining, and based on life form consuming life form. Did you ever wonder why bone meal is a valued soil nutrient? We ARE All soil nutrients in the end just as plants nourish the beasts that we eat. Prey animals don't pass judgement on who eats them they just try to avoid being eaten.

I am not a trophy hunter. I hunt with my dog and mt husband to fiill the freezer and renew my sense of being one with the natural world. I don't kill something each time I go out, more like 60% of the time. I believe here is a real need to maintain honor and frugality in hunting. I try not to waste any part of the animal I kill. I even share the remains with the other wild predators that eat carrion. As an artist I also use my bagged quarry as models for paintings just as Audubon did. Yes, Audubon was a hunter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting