Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Social Groups
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Social Group
This is a public group.

Pet Rescue

Group Created by Sam I Am

This group will be to explore the challenges and issues concerning rescue of all animals and maybe do a little networking on placement of unwanted pets. I'd ask that you keep instructional type posts on pet ownership to the main Pets forum and let's let this one be where fellow rescuers gather and brainstorm for solutions! Placements, transport, and various rescue goals will be discussed. However, we will not allow Do Not Adopts or any slamming or derogatory comments toward a particular rescue group.

Invite your friends!

View All Members Showing 10 of 165 Member(s)
Showing 5 of 32 Picture(s)
Showing Social Group Messages 1 to 10 of 209
  1. JoshNt
    09-27-2021 10:22 PM - permalink
    JoshNt
    what are these breed names? please tell me im interested https://shrinke.me/rwbN
  2. Lisa manning
    09-21-2015 01:36 AM - permalink
    Lisa manning
    Hi. Everyone. I'm needing some help. I live in russellville Alabama and I have a neighbor who has a gorgeous horse just stunning. Only problem is he lives in his own filth and I know that's not good for there hoofs can cause serious rot. Not to mention he's never ever ever let out of his small stall to get excersise.
    His owner is an old man who can not control him anymore if he did get a hold of him. The horse has been in that stall for over 15 years never ever once had he gotten to get out....
    I've tried calling Aspca . Animal shelters you name it no one around here will do anything. The poor thing needs something done. I've seen orginazations pull together to handle huge operations such as puppy mills and things of the sort. So how about we help this old horse finally see some green pastures. ?? Any ideas on some help? I'm desprate.
  3. christykitty
    06-10-2015 01:21 AM - permalink
    christykitty
    We breeds high quality Maine Coon kittens each year. They are all TICA (The International Cat Association, ACFA(American Cat Fanciers Association) and/or CFA
    (Cat Fanciers Association) Champions or Grand
    Champions. Contact us at the email below if you are interested in a kitten or adult.
    christinswann@gmail.com.
    503 770 8173.
    "No checks, and no scams. If you can not pay through PayPal, then i will not respond.
  4. KittyMom78
    09-07-2013 12:36 AM - permalink
    KittyMom78
    Hi there! I just joined this group. I run a collie rescue in Florida. I am in need of foster homes and volunteers for my rescue. If you are in Tampa Bay area and are interested in fostering a collie or two, please visit my rescue website at

Collie Rescue of Tampa Bay, Inc. - We are in need of VOLUNTEER FOSTER HOMES!!!Please contact us immediately if you can help.*

You can download the volunteer/foster application from the website.

Thanks!
  5. marilyndockery
    04-02-2013 09:04 AM - permalink
    marilyndockery
    when, adopting, they may or maynot be informed of issues be it behavior or other issues. It is the adopters responsibuility to ask questions. I did adopt a a small chiwawua (ms) has definate issues. My family of 6 is having difficult times of ajusting. As well we have 4 other dogs we all know its going to be hard for awhile until we (Humans) are acclimated. Volunteers are always welcome to come and help out just one requirement that is, you must be 18 years of age.thank you for allowing me to joining your group.
  6. laurah5107
    03-21-2013 12:36 PM - permalink
    laurah5107
    I have been working with various rescue shelters and have become very upset lately about the number of dogs that are adopted and returned to the shelter for behavioral issues that could be corrected, or at least helped, with regular training before adoption (and even after if necessary).

One shelter in particular uses a trainer that charges quite a bit, only works with the dogs once or twice a week, has made little progress with some of the more difficult cases (not dangerous but pig-headed or just plain to excitable), and very often resorts to spiked choker collars.
    I have worked with many dogs in my 30 years and have taken a couple classes focusing entirely upon difficult dogs. I also have always had plenty of my own dogs to work with (right now 9) and have taken hundreds of hours of training classes.
    The rescue won't let me do anything for fear of undoing the trainer's work since I am not a "trainer" just a volunteer. I have resorted to going around each day sitting in each dogs small run and working on basics with each one - sit, down, stop the jumping.
    I want to help them - but I can't find anywhere that will give me a chance to get some experience (and possibly a reference for the rescues to see). I wouldn't be competition since I don't want payment - just work with rescues.
    I've seen some "schools" that claim to have degrees in training and charge thousands of dollars which I cannot afford and don't think worth the money.

Any ideas where I might look to find training apprenticeship or assistant job (nonpaid) for the experience? I'm in Houston area.

Also, any place to learn how to do Temperment testing for rescues? All the dogs end up labeled "Not Good With Dogs" or "No Children, Dogs or Cats", both of which really limit possible adopters. And some of these dogs were fine with other dogs when they came into the shelter months earlier.

Ideas on how to get some more education from knowledgeable trainers so I can help dogs never come back?
  7. Amazonchix
    04-24-2010 08:58 AM - permalink
    Amazonchix
    S/Nipped...

Thanks for sharing your story! Wow, it seems to me like you are the feral expert, but like any good expert you are willing to hear new ideas. I don't have any ideas personally, but I may come to you if and when we need help TNRing a local stray. We have TNR'd a few times in our neighborhood. We joke there is an underground passage way to our home.

Do you all euthanize cats that test (+) for FIV and/or Leuk? We have been struggling with what is the best thing to do in this situation.
  8. S/Nipped
    04-10-2010 10:17 AM - permalink
    S/Nipped
    Hello All, I am new here to the group and wanted to put out our call. S/Nipped is an aspiring non profit organization in Oregon. We are committed to opening a low cost clinic using the Humane Alliance model this year. However for the last 3 years I have been heavily involved in TNR and manage in my local and surrounding area. In just the last 2 years I have trapped, transported, spayed/neutered and returned more than 500 feral, strays and free roaming cats, and many dogs. We routinely run into situations where it is impossible for feral cats to return to their homes and have a very hard time finding barn homes. I am hoping to maybe develop some networking not only for our feral cats but also for the cats that come into our rescue (a network of foster homes) and our shelter.

We are also looking for alot of support for our Pepsi Refresh campaign starting May 1st. We have asked for $250,000 to get our clinic up and running, pay for our transport that will service all areas within a 150 mile radius (maybe farther if necessary), and to develop programs or assist those already here in removing all barriers to spay and neuter. Our shelter lacks the resources to have all animals spayed and neutered prior to adoption, this will be a #1 priority when the clinic opens.

What ideas do you all have when it comes to placing ferals?
  9. ArkansasSweetheart-Kris
    04-08-2010 08:54 AM - permalink
    ArkansasSweetheart-Kris
    HI there i love to rescue animals...most of the pets that i have had are rescue animals
  10. NCN8V
    03-07-2010 10:22 AM - permalink
    NCN8V
    I been a volunteer with K9 Rescue for nearly 20yrs and I volunteer at my local SPCA. I can provide support on the Admin portion of Rescue, do Home visits if in my area, provide Transport from NC to NY, and am able to help with SOME breed IDs and temperament tests. I have knowledge of the following breeds: Pit Bull and Pit mixes within reason, and most Mastiff type dogs.