Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Social Groups
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Social Group
This is a public group.

Attachment Parents

Group Created by ADVentive

AP is about forming and nurturing strong connections with your children. AP challenges us as parents to treat our children with kindness, respect and dignity, and to model in our interactions with them the way we'd like them to interact with others. Some practices that you may follow if you are an AP parent include extended breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing, and gentle discipline.

View All Members Showing 10 of 25 Member(s)
Showing Social Group Messages 1 to 10 of 20
  1. SympatheticListener
    02-06-2018 01:27 PM - permalink
    SympatheticListener
    Hi everyone! I've been reading the messages and I might be able to help regarding cereighnah's problem with Lachlan talking back. I teach a Love and Logic parenting course called, Early Childhood Parenting Made Fun". The Love and Logic approach to whining and arguing is that we shouldn't have to be victims when our children play Brain Drain, i.e., try to drain us of energy with all their arguments. The solution is to have one-- just one- response, then stick to it no matter what. A good one is "I know". This is called the broken record technique because whatever they say to disagree, you keep saying it like a broken record. But you have to say it with genuine empathy. Empathy is the key. If you deliver it with sarcasm or with anger, you become the bad guy. If you become the bad guy, the resentment in the child is eventually going to come out in a very negative way. Empathy has got to be the foundation of any discipline you use. Remember, eventually, your child will be selecting your nursing home. If you've based your relationship with your child on empathy rather than anger, he'll pick a somewhat nicer nursing home for you!
  2. Synde
    10-15-2009 10:28 PM - permalink
    Synde
    Hi, I'm new here and like the sound of the foundation of the group. I'm having what I believe is a behavioral issue with pants wetting that I'm hoping someone might be able to talk with me about addressing? Any takers?
  3. ADVentive
    01-15-2009 12:04 PM - permalink
    ADVentive
    I think it's fine to co-sleep with a child. I think it's how it has been done for most of time in most of the world. It's just our modern, Western society that thinks it's weird.
  4. mamadee1264
    12-05-2008 02:18 PM - permalink
    mamadee1264
    Hi, I am the mother of a 6 year old and she co-sleeps with me. I love having her there next to me. Does anyone else think its ok to co-sleep with a child?
  5. cgrimley
    11-03-2008 07:45 AM - permalink
    cgrimley
    This is Cora again.... my new business brought me to the forum but I wanted to share some of me aside from work. I have a son and a step son......they are both 5. Anyone else have any 1/2 siblings soo close together in age?
  6. Didi jamieson
    11-03-2008 04:18 AM - permalink
    Didi jamieson
    Hi everyone, I have recently sent my two children to live with their father as the older one is ready for hight school.i would like to talk to parents as i fear losing touch with them
  7. Kids Kaboodles Daycare
    11-02-2008 06:43 PM - permalink
    Kids Kaboodles Daycare
    Hello everyone my name is Chrissy and I am a daycare provider/owner and a Mom away from mom of many. I love talking with others about children and sharing my ideas and feelings. Yes, I do believe that sharing is caring but it helps to make the world go round. (oh my gosh Im really starting to sound like Barney). Message me anytime.
    God Bless
  8. ADVentive
    10-20-2008 09:51 AM - permalink
    ADVentive
    I would say that for hitting, what I would do is probably say something like "Ow, hitting hurts mommy. I don't want to play with you when you behave like that. I'm going to go over here now. I'll play with you again when you can be gentle." Then when he comes to you reiterate that it hurt you, ask if he's sorry and ready to give you a hug and be gentle. This comes up for us with Cadence more with throwing things or just not being careful when running around. She's pretty sensetive and usually cries and says sorry right away and gives hugs. At 2.5, she's starting to understand that her actions can hurt others and she's generally pretty careful. You can use the same concept for gentle words as for gentle actions.
  9. cereighnah
    10-01-2008 10:48 AM - permalink
    cereighnah
    Hi everyone. I am a 23 year old single mom of a 2 1/2 year old boy. Lachlan has always been a very independent child and loves to do everything on his own. He is a very intelligent and bright child with a mind for mischief. He is my first child and I have no idea how to discipline him, when he does something wrong. Right now he has started to talk back all the time and he hits. I'm not sure how to stop this behavior. Does anyone have any advise?
  10. max's mama
    08-22-2008 03:15 PM - permalink
    max's mama
    Wow, I haven't been here in the while! Happy to meet everyone!