Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Social Groups
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Social Group
This is a public group.

Scandinavian Americans

Group Created by Bestemor

Velcommen! to all those of Norwegian, Swedish, Danish, Finnish, and Icelandic heritage interested in the culture, genealogy, languages, history, arts & crafts, and foods of these Scandinavian and Nordic cultures.

View All Members Showing 10 of 21 Member(s)
Showing Social Group Messages 1 to 9 of 9
  1. marcboucher21
    03-03-2021 03:48 PM - permalink
    marcboucher21
    hey my name is marc i wanted to share this with yall i lost 35 lbs inwhat now is 3 months i was told by my dr i needed to loose some weight so i tried this i was a big soda drinker and when i found out cutting that out and replacing it with this i thought this wont be soo damn bad after all i was all the way up to 275 and i feel way better now even when i lost the first 10 lbs i felt better i can tie my shoes now with out feeling like i was going to pop lol i know yall know what the hell im talking abut any wayy give it a shot it helped me hope it can help you too https://bit.ly/3kIlEYr here is the link it
  2. gentlearts
    12-04-2018 02:05 PM - permalink
    gentlearts
    Hi, I’m half Swedish and 1/4 Norwegian. The Norwegians were Smith and Svenson, and the Swedes were Anderson and Peterson. They came here in the 1860s.
  3. LadyAlaise
    05-22-2017 11:22 PM - permalink
    LadyAlaise
    Also; forgot to include in my post; I did my MTDNA; my maternal line via records traces back here in USA to my 3rd great grandmother (Mary O'Shea/Shea) who was from Limerick, IRE; her parents (Jeremiah O'Shea/Shea and Hanora Reardon) were from Co. Kerry, IRE; I might have a bead on her Grandmother; so 5th Great Grandmother (Possibly a Mary Scannell from the late 1700s) but no farther; my mtDNA is U3a1c which I have learned emerged in Scandinavia about 5-7 thousand years ago.
  4. LadyAlaise
    05-22-2017 11:18 PM - permalink
    LadyAlaise
    Hello all.
    I joined because I have been working on my family genealogy; and thus far have found no seemingly Scandinavian recent ancestors, however, my Mom's DNA test results say she is 19% Scandinavian; her Familytreedna test results also reflect this.
    My mom also has a predicted 5th cousin match who is from Norway and according to this DNA match his family lines are well documented in Oslo going back hundreds of years so we're at a loss as to the line(s) this might be from.
    Majority of my Mom's recent ancestry comes from Northern Ireland; and yes I am very aware of the movement of the Norse into the British Isles region; however that was VERY long ago and I find it hard to believe that an ancestor from that time period would translate down to my mom leaving almost 20% of her genetic make up Scandinavian. So I wonder if there is an ancestor I am missing or something I missed while researching my Mom's tree.
    Does anyone know of any Recent movement of Scandinavian peoples to Scotland or Ireland in the last 200 years?
    (My historical knowledge is more so about Colonial American and Canadian history as it relates to England, Scotland and Ireland; working on expanding my knowledge)
    I hope it is ok that I joined. I would include a pic of my mom and I but I am not sure how to do that here.
    My Mom is a Redhead.
  5. lmntree
    11-15-2014 01:40 PM - permalink
    lmntree
    Hi fellow Scandinavians! I have Swedish ancestry- last name Isaksson.
  6. FullFamilyTree
    09-12-2014 09:34 AM - permalink
    FullFamilyTree
    The genealogy market really does need a free place for people to hold and store family information.

Most users are just not willing to spend the $20 a month that many genealogy sites want to charge just to have a place hold their information. Many people start a family tree on one of these sites and then stop the service because they have a period where they don't work on the family research.

Some people will take this information and store it in a place on their computer in a file format like a GEDCOM file. But the information sits there and it's of no use to anyone.

Some people just stop the service and lose the ability to go any farther with the research.

In rare occasions, someone will find a way to put the information on a website built specifically for their own family. For instance, say Jimmy Smith has decided to publish his family's information on a personalized website. He might secure the web address JimmySmithFamilyTree and put his tree and corresponding data up for various family members to take a look at.

The problem is, this way of doing things is not a good way for all families because most families lack that technology savvy person who can create a website on their own. And this information sitting on a single person's computer is of no use to anyone else in the family.

There is no doubt though that most genealogy websites offer a service well worth the $20 a month they typically charge. But these services are for the more hard-core researcher. And the money a hard-core family member spends on these services each month is well worth it. These services often have many databases and stores of data a user can tap into and make use of while researching their family.

But once a hard-core researcher has reached a point where they are satisfied with where they are in the process or if they decide they need to take a break from researching, they need a place to hold that information and not pay the $20 a month.

In addition, that user will also want to be able to share the information they have collected. They will want to be able to show family members a family history beyond the basic knowledge everyone in the family generally knows.

Welcome to Full Family Tree is a place where someone can create their tree, upload photos, create comments for family members profiles, and pay nothing for the service.
  7. NDUffda
    01-29-2014 12:07 PM - permalink
    NDUffda
    Hi! Brand new lister here! Looking for descendants of Jacob Ericson 1838-1918. He had 9 children all but one married. He originated on Talle Farm, Luster County, Mor og Romsdal Nor. I have 4 of the Luster County Farm Books and would be happy to look up farms or names given a little info. I'm looking for help in WI, D.C., British Columbia, Sask., and CA. (Banning area) Be happy to exchange knowledge, help, look ups, whatever. I'm looking for obits so I can find Living Relatives (My family didn't keep in touch very well) email at nduffda@nemont.net Scheldrup, Torgerson, Erickson, Tryggestad, Albrecht, Schaeffer are some names I'm looking for.
  8. Bestemor
    08-28-2009 12:07 PM - permalink
    Bestemor
    Oh dear, didn't know that having a moderated social group meant that one needed approval to join the group,too! Sorry about that!
  9. Bestemor
    08-18-2009 12:42 PM - permalink
    Bestemor
    Greetings! All Scandinavian Americans who are interested in their heritage are invited to participate here regardless of how much you know (or don't know) about your heritage. I'm Minnesota-born and of Norwegian-Swedish descent (father emigrated from Sweden and maternal grandmother from Norway). While I'm a member of the Daughters of Norway in WA state where I moved from, there are no lodges down here in NM so it would be nice to connect with others via the Internet.

Do you enjoy "Ole and Lena" jokes? Here's one for you:

One dark night outside a small town in Minnesota, a fire started inside the local chemical plant and in a blink of an eye it exploded into massive flames. The alarm went out to all the fire departments for miles around. When the volunteer fire fighters appeared on the scene, the chemical company president rushed to the fire chief and
    said, 'All our secret formulas are in the vault in the center of the plant.They must be saved. I will give $50,000 to the fire department that brings them out intact.' But the roaring flames held the firefighters off. Soon more fire departments had to be called in as the situation became desperate. When the firemen arrived, the president shouted out that the offer was now $100,000 to the fire department who could bring out the company's secret files. From the distance, a lone siren was heard as another fire truck came into sight. It was the nearby Norwegian rural township volunteer Fire Company composed mainly of Norwegians over the age of 65. To everyone's amazement, that little dilapidated fire engine roared right past all the newer sleek engines that were parked outside the plant. Without even slowing down it drove
    straight into the middle of the inferno. Outside, the other firemen watched as the Norwegian old timers jumped off right in the middle of the fire and fought it back on all sides. It was a performance and effort never seen before. Within a short time, the Norske old timers had extinguished the fire and had saved the secret formulas. The grateful chemical company president announced that for such a superhuman feat he was upping the reward to $200,000, and walked over to personally thank each of the brave firefighters. The local TV news reporter rushed in to capture the event on film, asking their chief, 'What are you going to do with all that money?' 'Vell,' said Ole Larsen Bratvold, the 70-year-old fire chief, 'Da first thing ve gonna do is fix da brakes on dat darn truck!'