Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Social Groups
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Social Group
This is a public group.

Genealogy as a passion

Group Created by GrandmaSarge

Anyone who does Genealogy and is looking for answers to skeletons in the closets

View All Members Showing 10 of 51 Member(s)
Showing 5 of 6 Picture(s)
12002409 b450 4dd6 be80 a6a2af9e90fb 0  Aline Barre Mathieu and Ida Barre Legaux.
From gml59
9525 166814516477 566651477 3401276 2622555 n  Gertrude Nicholas Legaux, my mother.
From gml59
DSC01869  Mina Legaux, my dads sister.
From gml59
DSC00330    Suzette Nicholas in front row on left, others unknown.
From gml59
a0510cc4 5fbf 4396 8ae1 e580edaaa6f0 0   The Nicholas Children about 1934 N.O.,La.
From gml59
Showing Social Group Messages 1 to 10 of 15
  1. papi14
    09-03-2022 03:25 AM - permalink
    papi14
    Hello,
    the family is looking for Paweł's great-grandfather
    Nobody knows where he is.
    The only trace is in the US.

Paweł Bommersbach. June 24, 1871 Gemini Paweł and Agnieszka. Father: Marcin Bommersbach, son of Jan and Marianna Kaliszczak, Mother: Marianna Dąbrowska, daughter of Jan and Elżbieta Kisilewicz

Paweł's wife.
    Paulina Bommersbach. From the House of Gudz.
    Paulina was born in 1876 and died on March 21, 1961
    Buried Poland
    He lived in Lviv.
    We are happy Przystan.Mosty Wielkie, Butyn
    Commune of .Zółkiew
    Name and surname: Paweł Bomersbach
    Ethnicity / Nationality: Galizien (Galician)
    Marital Status: Married
    Age of departure: 37
    Date of birth: abbot 1871
    Place of residence: Butyn, Przystań, Bridges
    Great. Region. Lviv

I have the only address for Paweł. from 1910.
    House in 1910: Cleveland Ward 17, Cuyahoga, Ohio, USA

Paul's parents: Marcin Bommersbach and Maria Dąbrowska. Paweł has a brother, Jan Bommersbach, born on December 23, 1860. Jan's wife is Maria Kunz. Jan and Maria had children: Józef (1886), Maria (1887), Theresa (1889), Andrzej (1891), Katarzyna (1892), Rosalia (1894), Marcin (1897-1899), Jozef (1899), Franziszka ( 1900-1981), Petr (1902-1902), Elzbieta (1903), Michael (1906).

If anyone knows anything, please contact me.
  2. FullFamilyTree
    09-12-2014 09:35 AM - permalink
    FullFamilyTree
    The genealogy market really does need a free place for people to hold and store family information.

Most users are just not willing to spend the $20 a month that many genealogy sites want to charge just to have a place hold their information. Many people start a family tree on one of these sites and then stop the service because they have a period where they don't work on the family research.

Some people will take this information and store it in a place on their computer in a file format like a GEDCOM file. But the information sits there and it's of no use to anyone.

Some people just stop the service and lose the ability to go any farther with the research.

In rare occasions, someone will find a way to put the information on a website built specifically for their own family. For instance, say Jimmy Smith has decided to publish his family's information on a personalized website. He might secure the web address JimmySmithFamilyTree and put his tree and corresponding data up for various family members to take a look at.

The problem is, this way of doing things is not a good way for all families because most families lack that technology savvy person who can create a website on their own. And this information sitting on a single person's computer is of no use to anyone else in the family.

There is no doubt though that most genealogy websites offer a service well worth the $20 a month they typically charge. But these services are for the more hard-core researcher. And the money a hard-core family member spends on these services each month is well worth it. These services often have many databases and stores of data a user can tap into and make use of while researching their family.

But once a hard-core researcher has reached a point where they are satisfied with where they are in the process or if they decide they need to take a break from researching, they need a place to hold that information and not pay the $20 a month.

In addition, that user will also want to be able to share the information they have collected. They will want to be able to show family members a family history beyond the basic knowledge everyone in the family generally knows.

FullFamilyTree.com is a place where someone can create their tree, upload photos, create comments for family members profiles, and pay nothing for the service.
  3. klizzy
    08-31-2011 12:35 PM - permalink
    klizzy
    Hi, I'm searching for info about Mysliwy or Lubas in MA or NJ. My grandfather, Peter Mysliwy came from Szebnie, Poland and lived in Salem, MA; his parents were John and Constance. My grandmother, Katherine Lubas came from Budzisz, Poland; her parents were Jacob and Veronica. She had a sister in NJ named Mrs Agnes Czapla and one in Poland named Mrs Maryanna Witasek. If anyone has any information it would be great.
  4. gml59
    03-28-2011 02:33 PM - permalink
    gml59
    Hi I'm searching Legaux, Nicholas, Dessalles and Barre' families with ties to La., N.Y., Ca. I am from a large Creole family and have recently met several distant cousins who were unaware of their Creole heritage. My e-mail is gmlegaux@yahoo.com.
  5. jjrynk
    09-28-2010 11:04 AM - permalink
    jjrynk
    Looking for any and all info on my GF JOHN RYNKIEWICZ/RENKIEWICZ and his brother ANTHONY RENKIEWICZ and step brother BOLESLAW MERCHELSKI all from nanticoke, PA.

Thanks

John J. Rynkiewicz (JJRynk@hotmail.com)
  6. KIDYNAMITE
    09-01-2010 12:51 PM - permalink
    KIDYNAMITE
    My family tree maker2009. Researcing "brien cooney family and all relatives,
  7. KIDYNAMITE
    09-01-2010 12:49 PM - permalink
    KIDYNAMITE
    hi had first family reunion . have family tree maker 2009 great site and researched family 1830 ireland and have 493 people 132 marriages, 8 generations, 157 surnames,and ober 6200 files with old photos 300 so far, and also on ancestroy,com. been doing family research since 2001 and still adding more, love genealogy and history of our families and to pass it on to our children and grand children. also saved to a cd all files, great and rewarding experience but very time consuming, good free site:FAMILY SEARCH.ORG.
  8. Thyra
    03-24-2009 09:59 AM - permalink
    Thyra
    THE POLL IS UP TO VOTE TODAY!!!! go to "About the Forum" and vote!!!!
    Trudy
  9. Thyra
    01-25-2009 04:46 PM - permalink
    Thyra
    Just wanted to let you all know that next week there will be a poll for new forums. It will be in the "About the Forum" and Genealogy will be one of the choices...so make sure you vote !!! Thanks
  10. linicx
    12-01-2008 10:56 AM - permalink
    linicx
    Very often a County Home was where the very poor lived - sometimes the last years of life. Campion County should have a record. And it could be where the county housed its inmates. Every prisoner has been prosecuted or he wouldn't be in jail. Contact the county District Attorney where the ancestor was jailed and ask for records. The transcript I bought was the original. It was 3" thick and cost $50 to locate and mail.

There are two or three places to find an old newspaper article: Call the highschool; the 1934 event might be a class reunion, contact the local Library. county and state Historical Society. Many of the microfilms from the newspaper can be borrowed by your local library, or they may be available at the local LDS church library. Also try the Lehigh, Iowa county message board at Ancestry.com you may find someone willing to look up the reunion for you.

Contact the local county health board where Nell Stephens died. They should be able to make a copy of tje death certificate or tell you where to get one. Some states charge a lot of money for this search.

1827 records are tough. Get a copy of hte marriage license; it may have a clue as to where the grandparents came from. Then you can search census records and join the ancestry county message board where they lived. It took me almost a year to find an ancestor in Pennsylvana in 1805. When I did I found the family historian.

Don't give up hope. Being the family detective is an arduous process and sometimes lengthy - but the rewards are great.

The Allen County library in Indiana has some of the most complete genealogical records in the country. Their research is excellent. So is the Ohio state library.

The states hardest hit during the American Revolution and Civil War are missing 1000s of documents that were destroyed. Sometimes deeds and church records are the only place to find information. I also found information in a couple of most unusal palces. One was in the Masonic Lodge at Boston. My father ws trying to prove a Hobart ancestor was raised in the lodge by Paul Revere. The certificate was never signed; I have the papers. However, the Lodge historican sent a kind reply stating they were both members, but there was no record of who attended that particular meeting. I finally found the elusive Hobart in a bank brochure. He was the founder. The reason I never found him in a census was because his mother was still listed as head of household when she was 90 years old. He was listed as a child.
    He married great-grandma when they were both 80. I spent five years looking for a beloved STEP-great-grandfather. They were born deceased before dad was born.

Oh, the family legends.. . .

linicx