Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Social Groups
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Social Group
This is a public group.

asperger autism

Group Created by CrowsMatter

welcome!

View All Members Showing 10 of 100 Member(s)
Showing Social Group Messages 1 to 10 of 57
  1. 12-21-2016 11:43 AM - permalink
    DebraRangam
    Hi--Just wanted to tell you about our job portal for people on the Spectrum and/or with other disabilities. It's called thespectrumcareers.com. We are slowly but surely getting more and more postings from hiring firms as well as people uploading their resumes. If you decide to upload your text resume try to do a brief (less than 1 minute) video introduction. It's so much better to see a live person connected to the resume especially for those that may have predispositions to anyone with disabilities. We are striving to get more employment opportunities for everyone. Thank you!
  2. BrokenHeartSleepingMind
    11-14-2016 12:23 AM - permalink
    BrokenHeartSleepingMind
    just wanted to say hi to everyone. i am an aspie, was diognosed at 20. was bullied a hell of a lot, people seem to use me instead of trying to understand me. i am very much an introvert, but can be an extrovert at the right timing.
    comfort zone and all. and in response to xgirl1020 i have trouble sleeping, i will often find myself awake at night and asleep in the mornings lol
    the only thing that truly helps me is my mums anti-depressant that makes me extremely sleepy. before those though if i stayed up all night i would try stay up all morning too and fall asleep at 6pm. work my way up to 8-10pm and get it back normal again. it really is a pain in the backside
  3. Nothere1
    09-21-2016 07:15 PM - permalink
    Nothere1
    Hi, I'm a high functioning Autistic and low functioning human.
  4. gelofogo
    01-30-2016 11:10 AM - permalink
    gelofogo
    Hello. I'm aspie and easing my way "out of the shadows" with it. I've managed to finish college, have a career and a marriage, and recently had to disclose to my employer about my condition. I'd finally landed in a corporate culture where it was an active problem. Still feeling my way through how to self-advocate without losing my privacy, or getting hammered by people who "know" what Asperger's is, or who think that we're all alike. Looking forward to talking with some other adult aspies as well. Cheers everybody!
  5. Xgirl1020
    01-06-2016 03:57 AM - permalink
    Xgirl1020
    I just found this site. I'm the 46-year-old single mother of a 12-year-old wonderful daughter who happens to have Aspergers. While she was being diagnosed, I told her therapist that I never thought she had Aspergers because she was just quirky like me. (Honestly, if my DD had not gotten severely bullied, I probably never would have gotten her diagnosed.). We both had high IQs (over 150) and everyone knows clever people have their eccentricities, right? Yeah, right....

Her wonderful therapist diagnosed her and ,when she got to know me, told me that I should be tested. I've not been tested as, at 46, I've gotten accustomed to my quirks and issues (LOL). What I'd like are people who are like us with whom to converse.

First question: Do all people with Aspergers have trouble sleeping?

It is almost 6 a.m. here and I've been up all night. Unless I take Ambien, I only sleep every other night for about six hours. Sometimes, even Ambien doesn't work. I have to wear industrial earplugs and a blindfold to even try.

My DD is the same.

(Sigh) At least we understand each other.

Does anyone here (or a parent of an Aspie who may) have the same issue? Any suggestions?

Oh, by the way, I'm Angi!
  6. MsTerri1952
    12-06-2015 09:53 AM - permalink
    MsTerri1952
    Hello. I just found this site and then the forums! My bf is an Aspie, I'm an artist and somewhere on the spectrum. My life changed greatly after reading Temple Grandin's book 'Thinking in Pictures' which helped me understand myself and then reading her other books and the movie about her "My Name is Temple Grandin." The more I learn about Asperges the better chance for a personal relationship with not only him but what seems to be a growing population of high functioning autistic people. FYI there's a TED TALK easily viewed on their site or Utube. It's 20 minutes of why we need high funcioning autistic people in our society.
    I don't know how to post a link you can click on, but maybe someone else here can. Anyway, it's grreat to find an active forum and I hope to learn and offer what I've learned about Aspies.
  7. Laylalove1992
    12-04-2015 09:18 PM - permalink
    Laylalove1992
    Hi I'm Layla me and my boyfriend both have disabilities but he has aspergers and I have a learning disability. For Christmas and a gift for soon moving in with each other I was gonna get a plan of just us in it and buy him a phone. Well his parents still think it's OK to take it away from him when its my property and I'm paying for it, all I'm asking. Do you think it's OK for a parent to take something away from a young adult that they did not pay for, or his girlfriend baight.? I'm getting kinda mad here and he should have it when he wants it... Help???
  8. autismmami
    11-14-2015 07:08 PM - permalink
    autismmami
    Hello Everyone,

My family and I recently took a trip to Anaheim, CA and we just love it out there. We are thinking of moving out there in the near future. I have a son who has autism and I will like to know if anyone has information about the public school district in Anaheim, CA and if they have good autism programs for my ten year old. If anyone has any info I will greatly appreciate it.
    Thanks in advance!
  9. connect2satyendra
    10-12-2015 02:16 AM - permalink
    connect2satyendra
    Hi All,

I am moving to Tampa, FL from San Jose, CA due to my job. I have a 9 years old daughter High Functioning and a 6 years old son Low Functioning who needs speech therapy, ABA and OT.

Could you please suggest any good schools/school district in and around Tampa area. And any other information about the Autism Group, Resources and Regional Centers in Tampa Area or Florida state, which I should know and will be helpful as a new comer to Tampa, is appreciated.

Thanks & Regards,
    Satyendra Kumar
  10. UtahOrBust994
    06-04-2015 06:34 PM - permalink
    UtahOrBust994
    Hi everyone, I'm a 21 year old woman with Asperger's I'm fairly high-functioning and good at appearing normal but that's not such a good thing when I well...can't. When my routeines and/or plans get disrupted or I get mentally exhausted from being in large groups of people for too long... planning of relocating from IL to Utah in the next 7 years