Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Social Groups
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Social Group
This is a public group.

Stop Profiling My Dog!!!!

Group Created by ilovemypit

a group for responsible owners of so called "aggressive" dogs.

View All Members Showing 10 of 36 Member(s)
Showing 3 of 3 Picture(s)
Showing Social Group Messages 1 to 10 of 22
  1. soulsurv
    08-24-2017 05:21 AM - permalink
    soulsurv
    Hi. I've been a multiple Doberman owner for 35 years. The baby I have now (since 11 weeks) is now 16 months old. I am certainly NOT a novice owner, but this girl, though from a STELLAR show line, is "impulse reactive' to other dogs. FOUR behaviorists have come to my home. The verdict: NON-AGGRESSION, BUT "OVER EXCITEMENT" in every case. Don't know why she is like this as she was raised with two-other dogs: my 6-yr-old Collie and my now-deceased Pointer/Rottie. Having a tough time convincing the neighbors that she's not Norman Bates with the odd "screaming" sound she makes when we're walking or at the vets. Yes, we do all types of impulse-control exercises multiple times, every day. We got "kicked out" of puppy class because the trainer would NOT allow a prong collar when the RA in my hands flared. She is FABULOUS and enthusiastic with people, and the most affectionate baby I've ever owned. Has anyone ever tried any natural things such as "Rescue Remedy" or the canabis oil that I read about? Just wondering...THANKS! Sandy in PA
  2. debbmill
    04-25-2013 09:18 AM - permalink
    debbmill
    I had a pit ( Petie) who was the sweetest dog I have ever had the honor to know. The neighborhood cats would curl up with him to take naps. The only time I saw anyu pit get agressive was when his mate ( Storm) didn't approve of a person that adoped one of her pups. She broke out of her yard to bring her baby back. Myu nephew and his 2 little daughters were heartbroken. Like I have always said, if you raise a pet with love all you get back is love.
  3. Star1317
    04-21-2013 01:07 AM - permalink
    Star1317
    Hi All. I just joined this site. This is my first post. I have a pit bull who is the sweetest dog in the world! But I am very familiar with the stigma that comes with owning a pitbull. I'm in the process of moving and I am having a very hard time finding somewhere to live that will accept my dog. Anyone been in this situation before? Any advice? Thanks!
  4. Mrsserrano
    04-18-2013 07:41 AM - permalink
    Mrsserrano
    I'm looking to move to South Carolina and I'm having a REAL hard time finding a place that will accept my "aggressive" "large" 102lb dog ;( anyone have anyway to help
  5. Mrsserrano
    04-18-2013 07:39 AM - permalink
    Mrsserrano
    I have a Rottweiler & Shepard mix he is the sweetest & I get these ppl with their lil dogs looking at me & tell me "there is a leash law u know"?...so I tell them there is a mind ur own business law too ur paying more attention to him than he Is to u
  6. artangel
    08-03-2010 10:32 PM - permalink
    artangel
    EndCruelty,
    I just re-read your post. Oh, my, I was unaware of PETA's stand on this issue. And does HSUS refer to the Humane Society of the United States? Guess I'm really uninformed, as you might surmise from my earlier post. Could you elaborate on what you experienced with these groups while doing rescue work? I sure do commend you for your caring envolvement!
  7. artangel
    08-03-2010 10:27 PM - permalink
    artangel
    I just want to let you know that there are people who are not owners of the so-called"agressive breeds" who deplore the stereotype thinking in towns/apt. complexes. HOA etc. I have never owned a pit, but took my little dog to a dog park where a young man brought his. He was a nice guy who obviously loved his dogs and was responsible for their training and behavior. i got to hold the youngest one when he first started coming, because she was just a puppy and too young to socialize yet. I offered to hold her so he could take his adult dog into the park to let it have some fun romping around. What a precious little pup! So sweet! Unfortunately, many people do train their dogs to be aggressive, partally for their desire to have some protection for their property. But too often these dogs try to do what they have been trained to do, and as a result get shot and killed. I've read about those circumstances over and over.
    Would I be afraid if I saw a pit bull running at me? Probably. But I'd be afraid of ANY larger dog running at me until I know their intentions. My little shi-poo was attacked by a big, usually friendly Lab---that doesn't mean all labs are vicious!!!!!! What a crock all this is. But what do you do to get this profiling stopped? Humans have rights in our country----dogs---not so much. Seems like perhaps breeders might be able to have some influence on public policy (probably many have tried), the Humane Society, PETA, someone? I'm not too informed on this problem, just a dog lover who hates to see nice dogs or nice owners hurt because of this misconception.
    BTW, srgrimes, your dog does look like she has a lot of lab in her. Big difference in face shape and ears, I'd say.
  8. ashcody
    07-07-2010 09:45 AM - permalink
    ashcody
    And I've actually had people yell at me for not having my well behaved dogs on a leash because children were present...I'm like maybe you should put your misbehaving child on a leash, sheesh! My dogs would never hurt an adult let alone a child, I've seen the Dobe form a protective ring around my boss' 5 yr. old son.
  9. ashcody
    07-07-2010 09:44 AM - permalink
    ashcody
    Whenever I take my German Shep. and Doberman for a walk at the same time---people will turn around and walk the opposite way, cross the street like they can't get away fast enough. Funny thing is, I'm 20 something female...if I'm walking those large "aggressive" breeds odds are, they won't attack.
  10. phoenixscorpiogirl
    03-28-2010 06:42 PM - permalink
    phoenixscorpiogirl
    HI guys...glad to bew here.I have 2 cats still very young and 2 puppies. One is a pit bull my daughter found wandering the street, cut up, bones stiicking out. Well, we kept him he is so gorgeous and healthy now. And he's a big baby! I have 2 younger kids he loves to play with, and the cats...well, he plays with them but they were not always up for it! lol So, we adopted a little girl dog who is half lab and chow she is gorgeous too. I'm hoping our pit stays sweet. We discipline him when he's really naughty and he does "act" a little aggressive when he sees other dogs but I think it's more curiosity then anything...b/c he get's scared to death of out cats when he bugs them to much and they hiss and swipe at him lol.
    I do hate to see these dogs get such a bad rap when it is the fault of peole who breed them to be mean. Any dog can be raised to be vicious! I had a friend that had a bunch of Chihuahuas and they were the most unlikeable mean little rats I've seen. You couldn't walk anywhere near them and they'd bark like crazy and try to bite your ankles!
    I used to work at Animal Control in Tuucson...well, I lasted there all of maybe 5 weeks b/c it was the most horrific place to work at. The dogs that were even mixed with pit were un-adoptable unless they were under 4 months old. Many of these pits were so scared and vulnerable I felt so bad for themm. But b/c of people like Mike Vick they don't get a fair shake.