Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Social Groups
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Social Group
This is a public group.

Northern Women living in the South

Group Created by Redchick

I am so interested to make friends with people who are from the north and have transplanted to the South. I am in Alabama and would like to have a social gathering once a month. The south is great, but when you are not from here, sometimes it's hard to get along. Know there are other people in this situation and would LOVE to find them and meet them. Please respond if you live in Alabama. I look forward to it. Couples welcome and single men, too.

View All Members Showing 10 of 35 Member(s)
Showing Social Group Messages 1 to 10 of 31
  1. chadg1016
    09-21-2015 10:22 AM - permalink
    chadg1016
    Anyone from New York? I grew up in upstate NY and now live in Jacksonville Fl. Looking to meet new people for friendship and possibly more.
  2. resriechan
    09-20-2010 08:10 PM - permalink
    resriechan
    ok well part of the whole thing is where one considers North and South.

My family of origin is a Navy family. My mom and dad both have ties to Miami Fla, so that's pretty far South for the US . But were stationed (of course) at various locations including Japan twice.

Anyhow, the two locations of longest duration have been in a smaller town near Jacksonville Fla and also in the DC area (technically our home there was identified as located in Alexandria, Va). Funniest north/south aspect: when Dad retired from his stint at the Pentagon and we returned to the Jax area, somebody called me a Yankee, b/c we were here from VirGINia, fer Pete's sake ....

one of my sisters now lives in an area of NJ not fair from Plainfield. Another brother lives in an area not far from Austin Tx.
  3. dispointd in lex
    09-04-2010 08:16 PM - permalink
    dispointd in lex
    Hi, I live in NC originally from Long Island NY, I miss the convienence of walking to a store, the beach, and get a general feeling I'm not liked but tolerated for a few moments, I know-I can recognize a phony from a mile away. I have never had this problem of people being so standoffish, I guess everyone is too busy with their lives to bother anymore, gee- they say NY'rs are rude?! Oh well I'm here to stay, so I guess I'll keep trying and when hope runs out I will just keep to myself and live out the rest of my days never feeling as if I belonged. No matter what, I will still have fun somehow.
  4. rocknroll123
    08-16-2010 08:21 PM - permalink
    rocknroll123
    Hello,
    I'm currently in Ohio but I plan on relocating to Memphis as soon as possible. Anyone on here near Memphis? Do you like the city? I'm really excited about getting out of Ohio. I plan on coming down and seeing the city soon...
  5. teejuris
    07-08-2009 09:50 PM - permalink
    teejuris
    Hello, Everyone:I'm new to the group. I haven't relocated yet, but will be moving from MI to Irving/Las Colinas. I haven't ever lived in the South, but the few times I have visited, I didn't have such great experiences. I'm a pretty nice and friendly person, but reserved. Many of the Southern people I've encountered haven't been exactly friendly, contrary to the popular belief and/or stereotype that Southern people are sooo uber-friendly. I found many of them to be standoffish, and they stared at us as if we were aliens; as if they knew we weren't from "those parts"! One thing that was odd in GA is it seems people try to stuff food down your throat, and if you properly decline to eat, "No, thank you", or respectfully say, "I'm not hungry", that's not acceptable; people get offended. That was "different"... I will admit, though: The southerners that were friendly were VERY friendly. That took some getting used to. I know it will be an adjustment living in TX and assmilating into southern culture. I don't want to offend anyone, so I know I'll have to be very careful. Hopefully, I will meet good people that "show me the ropes", and correct me when I'm wrong. I'm also interested in enrolling in a southern etiquette course/class. That experience will probably help me out a lot as well.
  6. brandiboo
    04-23-2009 02:31 PM - permalink
    brandiboo
    I am from Michigan and now living in Lexington Kentucky.......southern women get on my nerves....people in the south are nice????Yeah whatever
  7. Aussie-Chik
    03-18-2009 11:04 AM - permalink
    Aussie-Chik
    Hey, I am not exactly a 'Northern' woman...actually even more south. From Sydney Australia...and now living in a small small small country town in west TN. It has been a big change from big city life. I enjoy certain aspects..but wish making friends was a bit easier. I have been here for a year, and have met some beautiful people. I know I kinda don't fit the original thread request..but just wanted to give a shout out.
  8. FrozenSnow85
    02-20-2009 08:39 PM - permalink
    FrozenSnow85
    I'm leaving the South. Good riddance!
  9. kbunnie25
    02-13-2009 01:36 PM - permalink
    kbunnie25
    Hello leveryone. I am originally from NYC. I have been living in southern pines, nc for about 6 months. So far, i like it. I am just missing the convenience of everything. I am still getting used to strangers saying hello to me. I stopped giving them a crazy look, when they do...LOL..
  10. trisha8806
    02-03-2009 01:21 PM - permalink
    trisha8806
    I am from the south, but now live it the north. I married a "yankee". Southerners are kind of brought up to think northerners are mean. My husband lived with me in the south for a bit and wondered why it took so long for people to get used to him. In a southerners mind, we think northerners just care about thier career (especially for women), they are very selfish people, heartless, and just rude. So if people are a littel stand offish at first that's why. Just be persist and nice and they'll take to ya