Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 09:40 AM

9 posts, read 21,833 times

Advertisements

Thank you GSUPSTATE - I can't tell you how excited we both are. In addition to living closer to family, we are also looking forward to experiencing all four seasons, and the landscape of Greenville is just beautiful. Get me away from all this cactus

In Phoenix there are a LOT of call centers & banks. I'm sure that there won't be quite so many call centers in Greenville, but I'm confident that we will be able to find employment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 09:48 AM

470 posts, read 595,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancing Phalanges View Post
To clarify further - we are not "considering" moving - we ARE moving, and soon.

It feels odd to be discouraged from moving to a city in an online forum
Don't be discouraged! As in any city in the country you will hear stories about someone who moved here and things didn't work out.
I moved to Greenville about 16 months ago - without a job! The company I had worked for in NY had closed and we decided that we had enough of NY and wanted to move south. After a lengthy visit to the area we were sold. I was not going to actively search for a job in NY and concentrate soley in the Greenville area, so why not move... Well things could not have worked out better! I can easily say that 2009 has been one of the best years of my life! To me there is much more to life than the size of my paycheck. Now I'm not recommending anyone move to any city without a job, but it's your choice. Don't let a few naysayers influence you or scare you. Decide what's right for you and your family and go from there.

Best of luck to you!

Old 08-21-2009, 10:03 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,864,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancing Phalanges View Post
Thank you GSUPSTATE - I can't tell you how excited we both are. In addition to living closer to family, we are also looking forward to experiencing all four seasons, and the landscape of Greenville is just beautiful. Get me away from all this cactus

In Phoenix there are a LOT of call centers & banks. I'm sure that there won't be quite so many call centers in Greenville, but I'm confident that we will be able to find employment.
Greenville has a good positive energy you'll really enjoy.

I'm laughing at your cactus comment. I had a friend that moved to Phoenix with Wells Fargo several years back and everytime I would talk to her she would say she was "living on the surface of the sun".

Greenville does truely have 4 seasons. A warm spring where flowers gradually bloom over several weeks (I've lived in the DEEP South before where spring lasted for all of 2 days ). A hot summer, with hot days and decently comfortable evenings. A fall season that is simply beautiful, thanks to the nearby mountains. A winter that gets cold and usually has one to three "events" of snow and/or ice.

As regards fall, that is apple season, and just 30 minutes north of Greenville in Hendersonville,NC is the heart of apple country. A beautiful fall Sunday afternoon spent stopping at roadside apple stands and getting hot apple pies, picking apples, drinking cider......life doesn't get much better. Take a picnic lunch, some wine and enjoy with the one you love. Soooooo amazingly simplistic, sooooooo incredibly relaxing and fun!

Oh yeah, on call centers and banks.....a bit of info to chek out.

The South Financial Group is based in Greenville. A top 40 bank nationally.
BB&T has a large call center operation in Greenville.
Samsung just built a new call center and is in the process of hiring 1,000 people.
World Acceptance Corp is based here.
Cryovac move major call center operations here from Connecticut a few years ago.
Nuvox Communications is based here.
Charter Cable has a large Southeast Regional call center.
Verizon wireless has a large Southeast Regional call center.
MetLife has a large operation.
Hubbell Lighting has corporate headquarters in Greenville.
Michelin North American headquarters are here (in addition to the numerous factories, they have a large operation for the publication of their travel related books, restaurant guides, etc. Believe they have a call center).

Old 08-21-2009, 10:23 AM

68 posts, read 132,457 times
We just moved in from the Midwest. We will never move back. Our children go to school in Taylors and love it. This is a very respectful community. It's kind of like going back in time a little, children are expected to address adults with yes ma'am & no sir. The christian attitude of the area is exceptional, the weather is great, and sooner or later you will find satisfying employment. You get things out of life that you put in. Jobs are tough right now everywhere, but, things will improve, and I guarantee you, the "snow/rust belt" where we came from is dead. High taxes, infrastructure costs, snow removal, nasty weather, no one in their right mind will willingly move there unless they are alcoholic and love to sit indoors & drink for six months of the year.
This is a nice place, one needs to embrace the benefits and accept the challenges, in time all will work out.

New York Born, with all respect, I've read many of your posts. Maybe consider moving back to a big city up north. Your attitude towards the area is negative and you may never find the "big pay" that you seem to seek down here.

Old 08-21-2009, 10:28 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,864,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianPK View Post
You get things out of life that you put in.
Excellent comment.

A zest for life seems like a common trait among most people I've met in Greenville.

Old 08-21-2009, 10:46 AM

347 posts, read 980,699 times
Quote:
... The christian attitude of the area is exceptional...
That's for sure. Since I moved to Taylors two months ago, I've had 6 people (or groups of people) knock on my door with religious literature.

Maybe word got out that there's a Jew in the neighborhood, lol

Old 08-21-2009, 02:26 PM

9 posts, read 21,833 times
gsupstate - I can't thank you enough for the helpful information, and I am now dreaming at my desk about moving What a WONDERFUL description of a fall day. I'm going to have to learn to bake a decent pie now knowing that I will have a bounty of delicious fresh apples to pick in the fall.
Also - thanks for the advice on companies in the area. This gives me a great idea of where to submit my resume!

BrianPK - Thank you for sharing your experience. My sweet little guy is only 8 months old now, but the school system here in Phoenix leaves a lot to be desired. It is great to hear from so many that LOVE living in Greenville. The positive posts far outweigh the negative.

I know it seems crazy to leave 2 jobs and move across the country to start over from scratch - but something in our gut just tells us this is the right thing to do, and everything seems to be falling into place naturally. In fact - I just got an excellent job lead with a large company in Greenville and should have an interview soon!

Old 08-21-2009, 02:40 PM

134 posts, read 262,446 times
Do what your heart tells you. My wife and I moved here without a job 3 years ago. Granted the economy was better, but in the end everything worked out and we are very happy here.

Old 08-21-2009, 02:41 PM

5,593 posts, read 15,383,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Greenville has a good positive energy you'll really enjoy.

I'm laughing at your cactus comment. I had a friend that moved to Phoenix with Wells Fargo several years back and everytime I would talk to her she would say she was "living on the surface of the sun".

Greenville does truely have 4 seasons. A warm spring where flowers gradually bloom over several weeks (I've lived in the DEEP South before where spring lasted for all of 2 days ). A hot summer, with hot days and decently comfortable evenings. A fall season that is simply beautiful, thanks to the nearby mountains. A winter that gets cold and usually has one to three "events" of snow and/or ice.

As regards fall, that is apple season, and just 30 minutes north of Greenville in Hendersonville,NC is the heart of apple country. A beautiful fall Sunday afternoon spent stopping at roadside apple stands and getting hot apple pies, picking apples, drinking cider......life doesn't get much better. Take a picnic lunch, some wine and enjoy with the one you love. Soooooo amazingly simplistic, sooooooo incredibly relaxing and fun!

Oh yeah, on call centers and banks.....a bit of info to chek out.

The South Financial Group is based in Greenville. A top 40 bank nationally.
BB&T has a large call center operation in Greenville.
Samsung just built a new call center and is in the process of hiring 1,000 people.
World Acceptance Corp is based here.
Cryovac move major call center operations here from Connecticut a few years ago.
Nuvox Communications is based here.
Charter Cable has a large Southeast Regional call center.
Verizon wireless has a large Southeast Regional call center.
MetLife has a large operation.
Hubbell Lighting has corporate headquarters in Greenville.
Michelin North American headquarters are here (in addition to the numerous factories, they have a large operation for the publication of their travel related books, restaurant guides, etc. Believe they have a call center).
Here is a list (http://greenvilleeconomicdevelopment.com/business_and_industry_sectors/call_centers/Call_Center_Operations_in_Greenville_-_Edited_08.pdf - broken link) (needs update) of additional companies with call centers in Greenville.

Old 08-21-2009, 03:43 PM

1,556 posts, read 3,548,848 times
Quote:
We just moved in from the Midwest. We will never move back. Our children go to school in Taylors and love it. This is a very respectful community. It's kind of like going back in time a little, children are expected to address adults with yes ma'am & no sir. The christian attitude of the area is exceptional, the weather is great, and sooner or later you will find satisfying employment. You get things out of life that you put in. Jobs are tough right now everywhere, but, things will improve, and I guarantee you, the "snow/rust belt" where we came from is dead. High taxes, infrastructure costs, snow removal, nasty weather, no one in their right mind will willingly move there unless they are alcoholic and love to sit indoors & drink for six months of the year.
This is a nice place, one needs to embrace the benefits and accept the challenges, in time all will work out.

New York Born, with all respect, I've read many of your posts. Maybe consider moving back to a big city up north. Your attitude towards the area is negative and you may never find the "big pay" that you seem to seek down here.
With all respect then your reading is not that great! If you read my posts you will always see a balance of the good and bad in Greenville. No place is perfect, as much as the people on this forum try to cover up you can not have all good and no bad when discussing any place.......this is just a fact of life! If people want to hear only the nice things.......then they have their family and friends for that and should not post on a forum asking other people about what is happening in a city. When they ask questions about a city then they should be prepared to hear the bad along with the good.

You are right about one thing though......will not see any "big pay" down here because it is illusive for the majority of the population!! The economy down here is simply too saturated with low paying jobs and employers who want to pay people slave wages and use the cost of living as an excuse to get away with it.

Last edited by NewYorkBorn; 08-21-2009 at 04:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area