Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 02:05 PM

5,593 posts, read 15,383,609 times

Advertisements

Those are all phenomenal! The detail even when completely zoomed in is crisp.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosleyh View Post
...By the way, if anyone has suggestions for other photogenic panoramas in the area, I'm always looking for good places to shoot. . .
This is kind of a secret, but as great a place to capture the foothills and mountains as any I have seen locally. After reaching the summit and parking, walk down the path on the northside of the pinnacle until you reach the open face of the rock, sharply falling away. The trail is not long, although it can be a bit dangerous, so caution is advised, however the reward is worth every drop of sweat. I imagine this would be a great time of year to capture the panorama of various greens and blues.

Old 04-20-2009, 03:07 PM

44 posts, read 252,168 times
That's about 20 minutes from my house! The first low-haze weekend day will find me up there. Thanks!

Old 04-21-2009, 03:13 PM

I had to redo the second one - there was some sort of artifact in it. Here's the new version:

gigapan: Falls Park on the Reedy River - Greenville, SC #2

Old 04-26-2009, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
This is kind of a secret, but as great a place to capture the foothills and mountains as any I have seen locally. After reaching the summit and parking, walk down the path on the northside of the pinnacle until you reach the open face of the rock, sharply falling away. The trail is not long, although it can be a bit dangerous, so caution is advised, however the reward is worth every drop of sweat. I imagine this would be a great time of year to capture the panorama of various greens and blues.
Thanks again, Sky. You were absolutely right - the view is great. I found that if you take the trail that splits off of the switchbacks toward the east, you can get to another bald area. If you go straignt up the rock you pop out a few yards down the hill from the parking area. It's a more strenuous straight-up climb, but it seems shorter.

The morning was a bit hazier than I would have liked, but it was still well worth the effort. I didn't shoot this from the overlook - I climbed down to the left of it and got a bit farther down the face. When I go back I'm going to take a rope to tie myself off. . .

So, here it is:

http://www.gigapan.org/viewGigapan.php?id=21835

Enjoy!

Old 04-26-2009, 01:14 PM

As always, tremendous panoramic view! I've often called this "a front row seat to the South Carolina foothills and mountains." It is impossible to capture the vastness of that view and also provide the incredibly open feeling you receive upon visiting this place. It is so peaceful and natural that it almost seems surreal at times. The view is equally stunning at sunset. I was just up there today, but the haze did not allow for the best possible condition to view the mountains. I was treated to a heavenly chorus of birds sing though.

Old 04-26-2009, 04:55 PM

58 posts, read 146,415 times
Mosleyh..Panoramic Photos are so cool..I have never seen those before. Great job!

Old 06-05-2009, 08:02 PM

And yet another panorama, this time from the middle of the bridge in falls park:

Falls Park on the Reedy River - Greenville, SC #4

I highly recommend that you view it in Google earth, using the link "View in Google Earth 4.2+" that you will find to the right under the image.

The way that Google earth does the spherical projection really gives you the sensation of being there. . .

Old 06-19-2009, 10:17 PM

Here's one of Twin Falls, which is out in Pickens county about 30 minutes north of Pickens

gigapan: Twin Falls - Pickens County, SC

Anybody out there??

Old 06-20-2009, 10:33 AM

110 posts, read 373,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosleyh View Post
Here's one of Twin Falls, which is out in Pickens county about 30 minutes north of Pickens

gigapan: Twin Falls - Pickens County, SC

Anybody out there??

Love the snake! Did you notice it while shooting?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area