Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2017, 04:06 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,494,397 times

Advertisements

Good evening! I saw The Lion King when it went to Durham NC last year, but this year they went to Greenville. I am going on Friday June 16. Trying to figure out how good the seating is. Will be getting 2 tickets, bringing my girlfriend.

For $155 a pop we can sit in the middle of the orchestra section, and that looks good and close. For $100 a pop, we can sit in the middle of the Founders Circle section. That price is better but I'm worried that it is too far too see very well. I know some people bring those little binocular things, would that be necessary? Still close enough to see details?

Also, I'm assuming we would not look TOO out of place if we got a little dressy uppy, right? Nothing crazy, but i plan on wearing a button down collared shirt tucked into my slacks. She doesn't know we are going yet it's a surprise, she wants to know if she can "wear one of her dresses, or is that too much?" She's relatively modest, so yea. I know there will be a bunch of kids and that can take the niceness level down.

The show starts at I I believe, and I think we are going to arrive at around 5 to try and catch dinner at a decent restaurant where we again won't stick out in nice clothes. I've never been to Greenville. Any suggestions? Might be spending the night at a hotel, not sure.

I will be flying up to Boston for 2 weeks for work 2 days after this, so trying to take her out on a nice evening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2017, 04:22 PM

453 posts, read 646,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
I think we are going to arrive at around 5 to try and catch dinner at a decent restaurant where we again won't stick out in nice clothes. I've never been to Greenville. Any suggestions?
Hey there! Greenville has an exceptionally walkable downtown, and there's no shortage of fantastic restaurants within a comfortable distance. In particularly close proximity to the Peace Center are Soby's, Jianna, and, right next door, Larkin's on the River. If you really want to splurge, Hall's Chophouse is for my money the best restaurant in Greenville, although it's probably also the most expensive. You absolutely get what you pay for, though. You won't be out of place in nice-ish clothing anywhere you go, really.

You'll also be very close to Falls Park, and I'd definitely recommend taking the time to take your girlfriend there. The Reedy River runs through the heart of downtown, and there's also a large waterfall and a pedestrian suspension bridge.

Old 06-03-2017, 10:22 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
The show starts at I I believe, and I think we are going to arrive at around 5 to try and catch dinner at a decent restaurant where we again won't stick out in nice clothes. I've never been to Greenville. Any suggestions? Might be spending the night at a hotel, not sure.

I will be flying up to Boston for 2 weeks for work 2 days after this, so trying to take her out on a nice evening.
So long as you're not in the balcony, there's really not a bad seat.. And the balcony may be fine, i've just never been there. I was in row N or so for a Weird Al concert and The Book of Mormon at the Peace Center.. Perfectly fine seats.

Rick Erwin's Nantucket is right next door. We went there before the Book of Mormon show and while expensive, it was quite good.

Old 06-03-2017, 10:44 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,649,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
So long as you're not in the balcony, there's really not a bad seat.. And the balcony may be fine, i've just never been there. I was in row N or so for a Weird Al concert and The Book of Mormon at the Peace Center.. Perfectly fine seats.

Rick Erwin's Nantucket is right next door. We went there before the Book of Mormon show and while expensive, it was quite good.
We sat in the second balcony from the stage and it was great. You also can get bottle service and drink up there.

Old 06-04-2017, 11:01 AM

1,998 posts, read 4,606,032 times
IMO Peace Center seating is awful - this is due primarily to no center isle (however, if I recall, The Lion King requires a center isle for its introduction scene - didn't the PC accommodate them during it's last run here?)

I only sit in the balcony now - MUCH more room to spread out - easy access to bathrooms - BUT, its not handicap accessible

Old 06-04-2017, 04:29 PM

843 posts, read 1,431,124 times
I always enjoy being up a little and Founder's Circle is my preference. And I like Larkin's way more than I do Nantucket.

Old 06-04-2017, 06:43 PM

39 posts, read 72,622 times
I saw LK opening night here in Gville and sat in orchestra seats. We were close and loved them... but you want to be closer to the middle. We were in row G seats 42-45 (orchestra right) and parts of the show were obstructed by the sides of the set (two songs where you couldnt see the singer). 42 was on one of the aisles (2 are created for the opening marches -one on each side) so I wouldn't buy orchestra seats unless they are at least 10 seats in from the end to avoid obstruction. Founders circle seats area are very good - sat there before. I'd say sit closer to middle in FC unless you are middleish at orchestra level

Old 06-04-2017, 06:46 PM

39 posts, read 72,622 times
I see your orchestra seats are middle. I usually sit there (somewhere in first 6 rows in the middle)and they are great seats. Founders circle are very good as well but not as good.

Old 06-04-2017, 08:29 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,494,397 times
Thanks for the insight y'all, I think I'll go for the Founders Circle seats in the middle. Haven't bought the tickets yet, waiting on the exact itinerary from work first. I'm looking forward to it, never been to Greenville and the Peace Center looks quite nice. Might go for one of those more splurgey restaurants ;-D

Old 06-05-2017, 10:11 AM

2,261 posts, read 5,839,501 times
There used to be a nice restaurant in the peace center, I ate there before going to see Lewis Black and it was delicious. I don't know what they call it tho.

I love sitting in the balcony/box seats on the sides, the pricing isn't any different than good floor seats and as others have said, you can have drinks up there. I also didn't mind sitting in the top balcony or founders circle, but the top balcony is a little harder to see from, even from the front row.

Edit: just looked it up, its called Genevieve’s. Looks like they changed it and now they serve light appetizers only.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area