Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2015, 04:16 PM

1 posts, read 843 times

Advertisements

I have a Goodman 4 ton heat pump it was installed in 2010 and maybe 2 weeks after installation I had a problem with it and I didn't know what it was so the installer came back and checked and told me that there was nothing wrong, this problem has come up off and on for a few years but I would just cut it off for a while being a women and later it would be ok for a while the problem has come back up and I had a person out to check and he told me that the problem is in the original installation. that the people who set it up did not do the air intake and out take correctly. Every time I turn the air conditioner on it puts out very little cold air. The man who checked it showed me where the air filter is to be changed that with it running when I tried to put the filter out there should be some suction but it is not. one vent is behind a thin curtain and the curtain is not even moving. Is there something that I can do myself to repair it, I am disabled and a widow and my income doesn't allow for this kind of repair costs. Plus I think if it was a installation error I shouldn't have to pay for it anyway. I have asthma and heart problems and a lot of heat does not help me. HELP!!!! Every time I turn it on the coil ices back up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2015, 11:43 PM

7,266 posts, read 4,687,208 times
I'm not a HVAC person but just from reading around from my own occassional AC issues:

From your comments of having someone out saying the intake and output duct lines weren't installed correctly then that's probably a leading contributor I would think. Another opinion from someone else who gives free estimates could be worth it too just for another opinion. But if the air ducts are the issue then look for any kinks in the lines to make sure it's not pinching itself closed or that they haven't fallen down and come disconnected. Make sure there's no gaps at all between connections that could be letting your air escape (Lowe's and home Depot sell ductwork tape made for sealing gaps)

Make sure your air filters are not clogged causing the low air flow. The filters that catch more items like pollen, mold, etc tend to clog within 2-3 months while cheaper filters that really don't filter anything will last much longer before restricting the air.

Low air flow and ice build up could also be caused by a bad fan in your air handler not blowing enough air.

Icing up could also be caused by low refrigerant, or a clogged or kinked coolant line.

give your AC contractor or another AC contractor your Goodman AC model number and serial number. It may be under warranty still, but if its install error then manufacturer may not help. Need to diagnose the problem first but if you have a manufacturer warranty still then it may be up soon so check sooner rather then later.

I don't know if it's true or not but I've always been told that when the unit freezes up to immediately turn it off and also put the fan from auto to On so that the blowing air will help melt it quickly until de-iced.

Good luck!

Old 06-14-2015, 07:30 AM

632 posts, read 754,539 times
All things being equal, it usually means your unit needs freon added. It also indicates you probably have a small lea in the system.

Old 06-14-2015, 08:29 AM

1,849 posts, read 2,784,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedge1 View Post
All things being equal, it usually means your unit needs freon added..
The most significant statement I saw was
Quote:
there should be some suction but it is not
- minimal air flow would definitely create icing almost every time. And like everything else, many possible causes and hard to diagnose without training and seeing it. The advice above about seeing if the fan in the air handler looks OK and looking for open leaks in the ducting are good recommendations.

If the air flow is good, then the Freon level is the next item on the list.

Old 06-14-2015, 05:01 PM

9,659 posts, read 9,955,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedge1 View Post
All things being equal, it usually means your unit needs freon added. It also indicates you probably have a small lea in the system.
Most likely this. I have a rental unit that I have a small leak in the line somewhere. I just refill it each year, but occasionally the renter will use it before I can refill it and it will freeze up. After refill it usually lasts the whole season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area