Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2019, 10:14 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,157,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
This thread is for the discussion of supermarkets and grocery stores in the Greenville, South Carolina area, specifically within Greenville County.

Options
  • Aldi: discount grocer
  • Bi-Lo: traditional/conventional supermarket
  • Costco: wholesale warehouse
  • Earth Fare: specialty grocer operating as a healthy supermarket
  • The Fresh Market: gourmet supermarket
  • Ingle's: traditional/conventional supermarket
  • Publix: traditional/conventional supermarket
  • Sav-A-Lot: discount grocer. Several Rite Aid locations in Greenville and Pickens counties feature a Sav-A-Lot section.
  • Walmart: operates traditional/supermarkets in supercenters and Neighborhood Market; operates wholesale warehouse in Sam's Club
  • Whole Foods: specialty grocer

Areas underserved

Articles in the The Greenville News and Upstate Business Journal highlighted specific areas in need of grocery stores. West Greenville has been featured. (West Greenville grocery store) Other areas mentioned are Augusta Street/Road and Stone Avenue.

Several affluent areas throughout the county are food deserts. They are notably Pelham-Batesville and southern Greer.

Future

The year 2013 was a big year for supermarkets in North Carolina and South Carolina. Piggly Wiggly Carolina divested 29 locations to Bi-Lo and Harris Teeter. Bi-Lo acquired Harvey's, Reid's and Sweetbay from Delhaize, parent of Food Lion, and divested seven Charlotte, North Carolina area stores to Publix. Kroger acquired Harris Teeter and opened the first Kroger Marketplace store in South Carolina in Hilton Head Island. Publix started their Charlotte Division, their fifth, and opened their first North Carolina store in February.

Are there any chains who may consider coming to Greenville? Are any existing chains likely to be acquired or close? Is anyone opening new stores?

Recommended reading and sources

Lee, Anna. "Greenville sees opportunities for grocery stores in urban neighborhoods." The Greenville News. 2014-04-10. GreenvilleOnline.com. 2014-04-10. <http://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/news/local/greenville/downtown/2014/04/10/greenville-sees-opportunities-grocery-stores-urban-neighborhoods/7539269/>

Toppe, John. "Westside study shows need for grocery store." Upstate Business Journal. 2014-03-14. Upstate Business Journal. 2014-04-10. <http://upstatebusinessjournal.com/news/westside-study-shows-need-grocery-store/>
Those of us who have lived outside of SC know that our grocery choices and their offerings are severely limited. It's a shame... might as well just package everything in a white box with a black label that says "food."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2019, 12:18 PM

2,442 posts, read 2,866,823 times
Wow! I don't agree at all with the above. I think our choices are great- the usual chain markets, plus Aldi, Lidl, Sprouts, and more.

Old 04-10-2019, 12:37 PM

401 posts, read 378,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Those of us who have lived outside of SC know that our grocery choices and their offerings are severely limited. It's a shame... might as well just package everything in a white box with a black label that says "food."
Well it is just food. Personally, I do not understand the fascination with grocery stores on this forum. I just want a clean store with competitive prices.

I do disagree with your assessment as there are high and low quality grocery options for everyone in this area.

Old 04-10-2019, 01:39 PM

446 posts, read 414,715 times
Yeah, definitely have to disagree with that assessment. Within a 5 mile radius of my house I have:

Walmart
Publix
BI-LO
Lowe's
Aldi
Lidl
Fresh Market
Ingles
Sprouts
Whole Foods
Trader Joe's

That's plenty of choices IMO. Could even add Target, Sam's and Costco in as options.

Old 04-10-2019, 02:22 PM

5,671 posts, read 5,868,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wedge71 View Post
Well it is just food. Personally, I do not understand the fascination with grocery stores on this forum. I just want a clean store with competitive prices.
You forgot the hypermarket, discount grocers, specialty grocers, and wholesale clubs.

Old 04-10-2019, 02:39 PM

2,213 posts, read 2,841,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wedge71 View Post
No way. I won't be happy unless I have a grocery store that will custom age steaks for me and grind fresh almond butter. And it has to be within 5 minutes of my house.

Old 04-10-2019, 03:29 PM

5,999 posts, read 7,095,028 times
Quote:
What?!?!?!?!? We moved here from Los Angeles and the choices for grocery shopping here are overly abundant.

Old 04-10-2019, 04:13 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,048,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
I still wish it had reopened as a Harris Teeter. They need more suburban locations.
It was a neat store. Especially for that era.

Old 04-10-2019, 05:41 PM

1,947 posts, read 2,756,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
What?!?!?!?!? We moved here from Los Angeles and the choices for grocery shopping here are overly abundant.
Our son lived in Atlanta for a few years. The choices for grocery stores were nothing like what we have, except for the huge international markets. Richmond is the same, very few choices. We are blessed here with many nice grocery stores and many nice gas stations.

Old 04-11-2019, 08:32 AM

214 posts, read 300,858 times
Quote:
I invite you to SE Michigan. You'll be dying to come back to SC and the choices of clean, well stocked stores with a variety of products. Even the Greenville Whole Foods blows away the "brand new" Whole Foods location in Birmingham.

Of any area I've ever lived in, the upstate in the past 15 years has had the best variety of grocery stores, hands down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area