Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 02:03 PM

9,496 posts, read 9,804,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
I would not be surprised to see Walmart open a store in Greenville's downtown. A Neighborhood Market store would provide the necessities of food and pharmacy. The trade area is distant enough from other stores to consider a Supercenter store. A Supercenter store would have to be vertically expansive.
Has anyone been to the Greer Neighborhood Market? Is it a nicer shopping experience than going to the Supercenter? I've been thinking of stopping by the Simpsonville location later this week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2015, 02:36 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,221,764 times
Default Walmart Neighborhood Market #4145, Greer Plaza, 805 W Wade Hampton Blvd Ste B, Greer, SC 29650-1311

I have been inside Walmart Neighborhood Market #4145 once last February. I view a Neighborhood Market store more as a supermarket rather than an extension of a Supercenter store. I must have overlooked the full service bakery and delicatessen departments during my visit. The front end's regular checkout lanes are identical to Walmart Supercenter stores without the baggers' stations. I assume associates are on hand to carry out groceries when needed.

Old 01-14-2015, 08:03 AM

Default Walmart Neighborhood Market #3628, 115 Highway 14, Simpsonville, South Carolina 29681-6051

Walmart Neighborhood Market #3628 is now open for business.

Old 01-14-2015, 11:05 AM

5,159 posts, read 7,346,591 times
I think Walmart Neighborhood Market is a nice choice for folks who don't like the big Walmart superstores. Good low prices without the chaos and congestion of the larger stores. And a decent basic selection overall, including a bakery and deli. I think they will pull business from Food Lion and Bi-Lo more so than Publix. My mother hates to set foot in a Walmart Supercenter, but she likes the Neighborhood Market. And she will reguarly shop at Publix and sometimes Fresh Market. But she has fallen out of favor with Bi-Lo for a good while now.

Old 01-14-2015, 01:24 PM

723 posts, read 1,148,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
I think Walmart Neighborhood Market is a nice choice for folks who don't like the big Walmart superstores. Good low prices without the chaos and congestion of the larger stores. And a decent basic selection overall, including a bakery and deli. I think they will pull business from Food Lion and Bi-Lo more so than Publix. My mother hates to set foot in a Walmart Supercenter, but she likes the Neighborhood Market. And she will reguarly shop at Publix and sometimes Fresh Market. But she has fallen out of favor with Bi-Lo for a good while now.
I do most of my shopping at Publix but generally avoid Bi-Lo. There are specific items that I buy at Wal-Mart, either because of price or because Wal-Mart is the only store that carries the product. I also have one prescription filled at the Wal-Mart pharmacy, again because of price. However, I simply HATE shopping at Wal-Mart and so you've just shown me a good reason to try out the Neighborhood Market. Thanks!

Old 01-20-2015, 10:19 AM

Default Kroger Acquiring Bi-Lo Holdings? Speculation

In the past few days, speculation has increased that The Kroger Company may acquire Bi-Lo Holdings, both Bi-Lo and Winn Dixie.

This would be an interesting move with Harris Teeter already returning to the Greenville area and the upstate South Carolina market.

Further reading:
Kritzer, Ashley Gurbal. "Kroger looking to bag a major acquisition - could buying Bi-Lo/Winn-Dixie land it in Florida?" Tampa Bay Business Journal. 2015-01-18. Accessed 2015-01-20. <http://www.bizjournals.com/tampabay/blog/morning-edition/2015/01/kroger-looking-to-bag-a-major-acquisition-could.html>

Old 01-20-2015, 10:25 AM

5,159 posts, read 7,346,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
In the past few days, speculation has increased that The Kroger Company may acquire Bi-Lo Holdings, both Bi-Lo and Winn Dixie.

This would be an interesting move with Harris Teeter already returning to the Greenville area and the upstate South Carolina market.

Further reading:
Kritzer, Ashley Gurbal. "Kroger looking to bag a major acquisition - could buying Bi-Lo/Winn-Dixie land it in Florida?" Tampa Bay Business Journal. 2015-01-18. Accessed 2015-01-20. <http://www.bizjournals.com/tampabay/blog/morning-edition/2015/01/kroger-looking-to-bag-a-major-acquisition-could.html>
This would allow Harris Teeter to expand in the Upstate, as so far only Lewis Plaza has been announced.

Old 01-20-2015, 10:33 AM

Default Kroger Acquiring Bi-Lo Holdings? Speculation

Harris Teeter may have seven additional stores planned for the upstate, not just in the Greenville area, but within the regional market. I do not know where these store sites are.

If Kroger acquires Bi-Lo, it would not make sense to have Super Bi-Lo coexist with Harris Teeter. These stores could be converted to Harris Teeter, or they can revert back to Bi-Lo.

Old 01-21-2015, 04:58 AM

9,496 posts, read 9,804,183 times
There are several other chains that could move to SC that have a regional presence already, such as Sprouts Farmers Market (GA) for example. A lot of folks wish Wegmans would come, but as of now, the farthest south they go is Virginia.

I certainly could see opportunities for TraderJoes to add one or two more locations in the Upstate.

Old 01-21-2015, 07:41 AM

Default Sprouts Farmers Market

Sprouts Farmers Market has five stores in Georgia. Its ingress to the upstate South Carolina region will intensify competition in the specialty grocer category with The Fresh Market, Whole Foods Market and Earth Fare. Its "Site Selection" page provides detail in what goes into selecting a site for a new store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area