Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 04:40 PM

10,152 posts, read 7,816,826 times

Advertisements

I tried to sell my house and just recently took it off the market. I only had 7 potential buyers look at the house during the 3 months it was listed and I had no offers.

I didn't need to sell it thank goodness so I'll just wait until the housing market improves.

Anyone else having any luck selling? I could probably sell it if I went down in price about 10,000 but I refuse to do that. I already had it low to begin with.

Any buyers get any really good deals? I wished I was looking for a house now...all kind of deals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 07:19 PM

1,998 posts, read 4,617,728 times
I've been casually looking at the Greenville market for about a year now (as a buyer). Specifically, I'm looking at the immediate locals surrounding downtown Greenville (with the exception of the western area). I've seen very nice homes for sale sit for months and months (with a few nearly two years).

These days it's all about price and location. LOTS of home are overpriced in this general area and sellers (who are frustrated) refuse to budge expecting the market "to improve".

Yes, there are a few "gems" to be found: I located a fantastic, newly remodeled, one level house several months ago (with a level lot) in the Parkins Mill area (Gower Estates). It was priced right, in a great location (middle of Gower), and completely (and I means completely) redone. This house was sold in less than 60 days (if I recall).

As a potential buyer (who is renting, has no contingency, and has the means to purchase), I refuse to purchase any potentially overpriced home in this volatile market.

Old 03-30-2011, 07:47 PM

10,152 posts, read 7,816,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfranklin View Post
I've been casually looking at the Greenville market for about a year now (as a buyer). Specifically, I'm looking at the immediate locals surrounding downtown Greenville (with the exception of the western area). I've seen very nice homes for sale sit for months and months (with a few nearly two years).

These days it's all about price and location. LOTS of home are overpriced in this general area and sellers (who are frustrated) refuse to budge expecting the market "to improve".

Yes, there are a few "gems" to be found: I located a fantastic, newly remodeled, one level house several months ago (with a level lot) in the Parkins Mill area (Gower Estates). It was priced right, in a great location (middle of Gower), and completely (and I means completely) redone. This house was sold in less than 60 days (if I recall).

As a potential buyer (who is renting, has no contingency, and has the means to purchase), I refuse to purchase any potentially overpriced home in this volatile market.
Dr. Franklin,

It sounds like you're in a good place and can sit and take your time looking for the perfect purchase. Good luck. I wished I was able to buy right now.

There are so many homes in my neighborhood that have been for sale forever. My sister is a realtor in Chas and she sent me a bunch of links showing me some homes and what they recently sold for. These homes sold for so much less that they did years ago. It's horrible. I feel for those people that have lost money on their homes.

I love Gower Estates. I go there to jog sometimes.

I jog a lot and I get bored if I do the same route too many times so I try and map out different routes and I've done Gower Estates many times. It has a few mean hills though. lol

Old 03-30-2011, 09:42 PM

5,596 posts, read 15,406,055 times
WYFF recently posted a video that is directly related to this topic.

Greenville House Up For Sale Gets National Exposure - Video - WYFF Greenville (http://www.wyff4.com/video/27326588/detail.html - broken link)

One of the main reasons for the decline in home sales is the fact that financial institutions have become much stricter about their requirements to obtain loans. That is not necessarily a bad thing though.

Old 04-01-2011, 06:32 AM

807 posts, read 1,787,842 times
Default housing maket

The housing market did become stagnant for a bit but we are seeing things pick up as Spring approaches. That is typical for the market here. It seems that Spring & Summer are our best selling months although I have seen that carry well into December. There are some "deals" out there now and yes, the lending restrictions are much more strict. Spring is a great time to have your home on the market but you have to be market ready & market priced if you want to sell. Appraisals are tough! I have seen a lot of sellers that had to bring money to the closing but I have seen some walk away with a nice profit. As someone else said-it's all about price and location.

Old 04-01-2011, 06:46 AM

506 posts, read 1,224,841 times
It definitely depends on where you're at. Also, the market in Greenville has always been slower moving, so 3 months isn't altogether that long for a house to be on the market (unless it is priced extremely low).

But, bottom line is, it really depends on where your house is at. Doesn't matter how nice your house is if it's not in a desirable location, or if 30 other homes within a quarter mile are for sale.

Old 04-01-2011, 10:53 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,479,042 times
At least in Greenville County there is no reason for anyone to overpay for a property as the county website has a feature that shows you the sales of like properties in as close as a 1/4 mile radius and back 3 months or up to a few miles and a few years. It even figures what the sold price per square foot for the property you are interested in comes out to based on the past sales. I think it is great info for a buyer. Every buyer should familiarize themselves with this tool.

Old 04-01-2011, 03:37 PM

915 posts, read 2,427,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackofdawn View Post
It definitely depends on where you're at. Also, the market in Greenville has always been slower moving, so 3 months isn't altogether that long for a house to be on the market (unless it is priced extremely low).
The average days on market for single-family resale homes in the Greenville MLS has always hovered around 120 days, even at the "peak" of our market in terms of number of homes sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
At least in Greenville County there is no reason for anyone to overpay for a property as the county website has a feature that shows you the sales of like properties in as close as a 1/4 mile radius and back 3 months or up to a few miles and a few years. It even figures what the sold price per square foot for the property you are interested in comes out to based on the past sales. I think it is great info for a buyer. Every buyer should familiarize themselves with this tool.
Just don't assume that data is accurate. I have rarely found a house with the correct square footage listed on the Greenville County site, and Greenville County does not list any incentives (closing costs, allowances, etc) given to the buyer.

This is also why Zillow shouldn't be considered a source, since they get their data from the county records.

Old 04-01-2011, 06:23 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,141,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckeegan View Post
The average days on market for single-family resale homes in the Greenville MLS has always hovered around 120 days, even at the "peak" of our market in terms of number of homes sold.

Just don't assume that data is accurate. I have rarely found a house with the correct square footage listed on the Greenville County site, and Greenville County does not list any incentives (closing costs, allowances, etc) given to the buyer.

This is also why Zillow shouldn't be considered a source, since they get their data from the county records.
Thank You for the Zillow comment. Way overated information.

Old 04-01-2011, 07:24 PM

607 posts, read 1,404,877 times
Agreed about Zillow - I checked my house and surrounding houses on it out of curiousity, and it was WAY off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area