Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 04:59 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,591,550 times

Advertisements

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- General Electric said Thursday it has secured a $1.4 billion contract to supply wind turbines and provide services for what will be the world's largest wind farm operation when completed in 2012.

The conglomerate will supply 338 of its 2.5-megawatt turbines to New York-based Caithness Energy to be installed in 2010 and 2011 at Shepherds Flat, the 845-megawatt farm that stretches across 30 square miles in north-central Oregon.

GE locks $1.4 billion deal to provide wind turbines - Dec. 10, 2009
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2009, 05:45 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
Where does GE build these devices? I hope in the US.

Old 12-11-2009, 08:20 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,063,834 times
Good, better a US company than a European one, like Vestas. Besides, the V-90's that they have been shipping recently had a bunch of crap parts and their turbines had to be replaced.

Old 12-11-2009, 10:56 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,852,928 times
Made in the USA? Hahaha... don't make me laugh... the only things now made in the USA are anchor babies... the irony...

Old 12-12-2009, 05:54 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,726,169 times
Just have to follow the money. Not only is GE making big money selling wind turbines. They are raking in the cash selling areo-derivative gas turbines to produce the needed energy backup when the wind doesn't blow...research LM-2500, LM-6000 and the new LMS100. Same reason CAT is supporting Global Warming... They are selling engine generators faster then they can make them.....

Old 12-12-2009, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Just have to follow the money. Not only is GE making big money selling wind turbines. They are raking in the cash selling areo-derivative gas turbines to produce the needed energy backup when the wind doesn't blow...research LM-2500, LM-6000 and the new LMS100. Same reason CAT is supporting Global Warming... They are selling engine generators faster then they can make them.....
What a load of nonsense. Engineering firms don't make up fake needs in order to supply new technology. R&D departments consult with scientists and policy makers to see what future regulations will be and then design new devices or redesign old ones to conform to those expected future regulations. Your ideas about the order of technological progression are completely backwards.

Perhaps you should confine your opining to an area in which you have some actual knowledge?

Old 12-13-2009, 07:21 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,726,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
What a load of nonsense. Engineering firms don't make up fake needs in order to supply new technology. R&D departments consult with scientists and policy makers to see what future regulations will be and then design new devices or redesign old ones to conform to those expected future regulations. Your ideas about the order of technological progression are completely backwards.

Perhaps you should confine your opining to an area in which you have some actual knowledge?
Just E.S.A.D.. They design and sell equipment to make money! GE and Cat are making billions selling backup generator sets. We are installing them left and right! Over 40 Mws of CI-ICE engine in the last 5 yrs and another 25 to 40 MWs by 2013. And if you want to see my area of knowledge get out of your moms basement and come to our office in Rochester or call us (The engineering team meets Monday morning) I have invited other so called experts to do the same but they too have failed to put there money where their mouth is...

Old 12-13-2009, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Just E.S.A.D.. They design and sell equipment to make money! GE and Cat are making billions selling backup generator sets.
That doesn't support your argument that these companies have invented a false crisis. So next you roll out the "I know more than you." Please try to make logical statements, instead.

The GE-nx engine sacrifices thermodynamic efficiency in a fuel-lean combustor to avoid NOx production not because they lobbied congress to enact enhanced pollution controls on aircraft, but rather because they anticipated that such action would take place and acted accordingly to meet future customer demands.

Quote:
We are installing them left and right! Over 40 Mws of CI-ICE engine in the last 5 yrs and another 25 to 40 MWs by 2013. And if you want to see my area of knowledge get out of your moms basement and come to our office in Rochester or call us (The engineering team meets Monday morning) I have invited other so called experts to do the same but they too have failed to put there money where their mouth is...
40MW of installed capacity in five years does not a put one in the know. The nameplate power of a moderately-sized wind farm is 10 greater than that. Thats like a handful of MCFC fuel cells or 1/20th of a real powerplant.

Make sound arguments to support your premise if you can, don't try trotting out some sort of personal credentials. You're not going to post personal information (if you have a grain of sense) like your company's phone number or email, so your "invitations" fail to make up for a lack of logical argument.

So take a deep breath, maybe go do something else for a little while, and then come back and see if you can come up with a real argument. If you have examples from your personal experience which really do support your premise, I'd be happy to hear and discuss them.

Old 12-13-2009, 02:38 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,065,889 times
Such silly nonsense. GE makes products that for virtually any generation technology that you want. From wind & solar through, diesel, natural gas, coal, oil, & nuclear. The company is "General Electric" Sheeple are so naive.

Old 12-13-2009, 04:23 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Where does GE build these devices? I hope in the US.
Nope, but they are assembled here.

Seems Oregon has very generous subsidies for wind which is where this project is being built.

Tax dollars blow away in wind projects | Oregon Business News - OregonLive.com

FYI total cost is $2 billion, the 1.4 billion is just the GE portion.

Last edited by thecoalman; 12-13-2009 at 04:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living