Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 10:20 AM

2,062 posts, read 2,550,100 times

Advertisements

I need to choose a washing machine, I have a small space to put it in ( unless I go to a small shed in the back of the house) the space I want to use is about 28 inches wide. I was looking at the choices and found there is quite a controversy over something as seemingly simple as washing machines.

Front loading washing machines were quite popular when they came out. They are efficient and waste less water, use less heat and apparently get a lot of different types of clothes cleaner, but they can also leak, the latch can break and worst of all they can get mold. Apparently there was even a lawsuit over that. But manufacturers claim that they have fixed the problems and with proper care mold problems will not exist.

Top loader manufactures say new machines have become more efficient and some say work best on dirt encrusted clothes because the water clothes sit in lifts the dirt up much more than a front loader can.

The great washer debate: Are front-loaders really better?

I have also looked into the tiny washers for the small space I want to use, not only small washers but the really tiny portable ones as well, I think however that they may require smaller hoses that may not fit well.

The Big Appeal of Compact Washing Machines - Consumer Reports

I also do not seem to have any kind of vent in the house for a dryer should I create one or just line dry the clothes outside? Since I do not have a vent I guess a double decker washer dryer combo may be out.

I have been interested in ozone washing machine equipment as well. Does anyone have any experience with how well that works to get out germs and clean clothes? Here is an example of one.

Scent Crusher Wash O3 Laundry Ozone Generator : Cabela's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2016, 10:33 AM

3,751 posts, read 7,674,702 times
The only good front loaders in my opinion, are commercial machines.
I have always had top loaders. Always wanted a front loader because I think they are superior machines. But after using a home front loader and having to clean up big leaks three times in one month, I said forget it! And this was a newer model.
Now my son has a front loader, his machine is outdoors in a shed where if it does leak, no problem. He works dirty jobs and his clothes are always nice and clean. This front loader I had been using did not wash things well at all.
So perhaps, probably, the brand/model has a lot to do with it.
I also know a family that runs a second hand appliance place....they have all worked on dozens and dozens of different machines and they all say that front loaders are a pain, not worth it, problematic.
do they even make front loaders that small?

Old 09-13-2016, 10:39 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,634,295 times
I have a small space for a washer also since our house was built in the mid 70's. Front loader will not fit in the space. I bought one of the new top loading washers that works like a front load but fills from the top. I love it. I paid a bit more to get the one with a see through top and am so glad I did. It has many different selections and this top has helped me choose the right settings for my wash.

I could add clothes easily to the old washer I had. That is the main difference. Once you start the washer, it needs to be left along. I have found the deep water wash is best for most of my loads but I just finished washing sheets with the special sheet setting. It selects the water level on its own. Stress free washing!

The real bonus is that the clothes get cleaner with less water and less detergent. Guess they have discovered that the real washing comes from having clothes rub together.

Old 09-13-2016, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
The only good front loaders in my opinion, are commercial machines.
I have always had top loaders. Always wanted a front loader because I think they are superior machines. But after using a home front loader and having to clean up big leaks three times in one month, I said forget it! And this was a newer model.
Now my son has a front loader, his machine is outdoors in a shed where if it does leak, no problem. He works dirty jobs and his clothes are always nice and clean. This front loader I had been using did not wash things well at all.
So perhaps, probably, the brand/model has a lot to do with it.
I also know a family that runs a second hand appliance place....they have all worked on dozens and dozens of different machines and they all say that front loaders are a pain, not worth it, problematic.
do they even make front loaders that small?

Thank you for the advice and warnings on front loading washing machines. In answer to your question yes they do . For example here is an expensive front loader that is 2.2 cu ft and only 23.5 inches wide

Bosch 2.2 Cu. Ft. 15-Cycle High-Efficiency Compact Front-Loading Washer White WAT28400UC - Best Buy

Old 09-13-2016, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I have a small space for a washer also since our house was built in the mid 70's. Front loader will not fit in the space. I bought one of the new top loading washers that works like a front load but fills from the top. I love it. I paid a bit more to get the one with a see through top and am so glad I did. It has many different selections and this top has helped me choose the right settings for my wash.

I could add clothes easily to the old washer I had. That is the main difference. Once you start the washer, it needs to be left along. I have found the deep water wash is best for most of my loads but I just finished washing sheets with the special sheet setting. It selects the water level on its own. Stress free washing!

The real bonus is that the clothes get cleaner with less water and less detergent. Guess they have discovered that the real washing comes from having clothes rub together.
My home was built in the 70s also. Do you think the new washing machines are a lot better then the older ones? I was thinking of getting a used washing machine to save money but not if the new ones are a whole lot better

Old 09-13-2016, 01:17 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
We have had our Samsung front loader for two years without any problems, and love it and the matching dryer, and both do steam. It's very common to have those compact stacked washer/dryer units without a vent to the outside. There is an accumulator/dryer unit that goes on the dryer hose and the air just stays in the house. We see them often when renting a vacation condo.

https://www.google.com/search?q=indo...+vent&tbm=shop

Old 09-13-2016, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
We have had our Samsung front loader for two years without any problems, and love it and the matching dryer, and both do steam. It's very common to have those compact stacked washer/dryer units without a vent to the outside. There is an accumulator/dryer unit that goes on the dryer hose and the air just stays in the house. We see them often when renting a vacation condo.

https://www.google.com/search?q=indoor+dryer+vent&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#q=indoor+dryer+vent&
tbm=shop

Thank you for the advice, if I do not need a vent to the outside for a dryer then maybe a stackable two in one washer dryer is the best bet for me? I admit though to feeling a little confused on how using a dryer without a vent to the outside works? Can a stackable washer dryer be plugged into a regular outlet? I think it may require a higher voltage and I only see a normal plug in the space.

What is the steam effect on your washing machine, does it work well for getting rid of germs? I found a small front loader with a lot of cubic space for clothes ( 4.6) but is only 27 inches wide. It is on sale at sears outlet and got good reviews. I feel interested but with the double decker I could have a dryer too. Although I notice they are expensive despite being so small.

GE Appliances - GTW680BSJWS - 4.6 cu. ft. Top Load Washer - White | Sears Outlet

You say you have had not any problems with the front loader? Do you have to keep the door open and clean regularly to prevent mold?

Last edited by vanguardisle; 09-13-2016 at 01:52 PM..

Old 09-13-2016, 03:06 PM

14,316 posts, read 11,708,830 times
We've had a Whirlpool stacking front-loader washer and dryer for about ten years. I've been happy with them. They are quiet, they don't take up much space, the washer has never leaked, and I don't have a problem with mold (they're in the garage so I just leave the washer door open, and this is a very dry area). My husband, however, has never been convinced that they get the clothes as clean as our old top-loader and he is pushing to replace them. I think he's imagining it.

On the other side, my sister did a lot of research and got a large, highly-rated top loader, and she's not happy with it either and feels the clothes don't get clean. Wish I could remember the brand.

Our dryer does have a vent to the outside.

Old 09-13-2016, 03:18 PM

3,499 posts, read 2,664,329 times
We have used our front loader for over 10 years and love it. Higher capacity with less water, what is not to like. Front loaders have been used in Europe a decade or more before finally arriving at our shores because of water conservation.

I have never had a spill or leak with the machine. I clean the crevice of the rubber apron inside the machine occasionally. Never experienced mold or any other problem. We will never go back to a top loader.

Old 09-13-2016, 03:54 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,888,603 times
The washer that came with the house I bought is a front loader and it is my first. I was weary about it. It is an older model, but not super old. Its ok.

I hate that I cant open it mid cycle. I hate, hate, hate that. I didn't realize how often I opened my running machine until I couldn't any more.

I think it does get clothes cleaner and dryer after the spin, so they dry faster. Thats nice.

I had to wash my (used) machine many, many times with cycles with bleach and detergent to get the mold out from the former owners. I cant believe they didn't smell that. But now I just pop open the door and keep it open between washes. It dries out and the mold hasn't come back in over 15 months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living