Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 03:50 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,415,423 times

Advertisements

Mostly I view Yankee's today as folks from New England but upstate NYers qualify as do people from PA. Historically everybody here was a Yankee & in Europe, at least the English speaking parts we are still "Yanks" The Yankees are the folks that won our independence and its always baffled me the way many view the term in a negative way.

the Civil war is a great stain on our country's history, its a shame many try so hard to keep it going.

Old 10-21-2009, 06:03 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,063,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Re the "gang mentality"....I have lived in the South for 20 years, and that is a bunch of nonsense. Every native Southerner I know works their tail off, are family oriented, proud of their community, and quick to help neighbors and friends.
This has been my overwhelming experience with Southerners as well.

Old 10-22-2009, 06:53 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Sounds like you are confusing "Yankee" With city folks. I'v no doubt theres city folks in every southern state that act like that.

Maybe you should think & respond useing the inside of your head instead of the top of it.
Im sorry. I was responding to this question by the op:
Quote:
How do you define what being a yankee means
I never made a distinction between north and south but apparently you feel you are more qualified and need to control other peoples thoughts. The op did not ask what was the correct definition of a yankee. Yes, yankee in MY little world is defined by me as more city slickers. Perhaps in yours it is those living in the north. [MOD CUT]

Last edited by Ibginnie; 11-22-2009 at 05:35 AM.. Reason: Snarky comments are not necessary

Old 10-22-2009, 09:17 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
I always thought it was a simple question of whether you're north or south of the Mason-Dixon line. Apparently, judging by all the postings in this thread, it's a lot more involved than that!

Old 10-22-2009, 09:18 AM

7,006 posts, read 6,994,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Isn't it funny how a specific term acquires all sorts of different connotations over time? The word "Yankee" comes from the Dutch "Jan Kees," meaning John Cheese. It was a put-down of Englishmen!
The term yankee came from the native americans.

Old 10-22-2009, 10:29 AM

247 posts, read 538,276 times
It seems to me a lot of southerners seem to exude a real politically correct "friendly" manner but as soon as they are questioned in an objective manner about their way of life or thinking or told what to do or learn in a even a tactful way they take offense and think it is rudeness or hostility and need to get back at the supposed offender.Pride has its place, but this way of thinking has been continuing for quite a while and has spread in the attitudes of many people originally from the south.Yes, pride is in all races and places.But, after the civil war when people fled the south they took their animosity,hostility and grudges with them to wherever they went and now we are still dealing with those attitudes today and the ramifications of them.We cant change the past but being able to talk about it in a civilized manner may be a start.Live and let live is becoming live and question people's integrity.There are many bad apple's who ruin it for the good one's but there are more good people who' live are being unfairly scrutinized because they may not be as politically correct as the phony politician who so easily dupes the average consumer or citizen into thinking they know what's best for the average American that only wishes tio work hard and make a decent living for their self free of envy,over zealous scrutiny,ignorance and the double standards that seem to beseech the blatant iniquity that is so obvious.

Last edited by No attitude; 10-22-2009 at 10:42 AM..

Old 10-22-2009, 11:36 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Yankee is a term used by southerners to describe any American who does not abide by the prevailing social standards of the American South.

In my observation, the biggest stereotype of the "Yankee" is a person with an attitude of superiority. Every other "Yankee stereotype" ultimately is a sub-set of this stereotype.

Old 10-22-2009, 05:22 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,415,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Im sorry. I was responding to this question by the op:

I never made a distinction between north and south but apparently you feel you are more qualified and need to control other peoples thoughts. The op did not ask what was the correct definition of a yankee. Yes, yankee in MY little world is defined by me as more city slickers. Perhaps in yours it is those living in the north. Maybe you should think before you respond. We are all entitled to our own thoughts.

Every Southerner I'v ever met was polite & courteous. But they also held a general dislike of anything "Yankee" and could switch the meaning around to suit there needs at the time. Aint no way anybody in America doesn't associate the term with people from, at the very least, outside the south.

Would you call a city slicker from Atlanta a "Yankee"

Old 10-22-2009, 06:19 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post

Would you call a city slicker from Atlanta a "Yankee"
DH calls everyone from north of the Florida state line a Yankee.......seriously.
So do quite a few of the natives here, I have found.

Old 10-22-2009, 07:26 PM

30 posts, read 60,167 times
Apparently Northwesterners aren't Yankees. We were having breakfast at a B&B on the Oregon coast, chatting with a retired couple from the Atlanta area. Being from Oregon, my husband told them what to see on their visit. They started talking about Atlanta real estate and the gentleman paused to ask, "You said you're from Oregon, right?" My husband replied yes, and so he went on to tell us how the "Yankees" are ruining the South. I piped up with "I'm from New York" and have been wondering about that myth of "southern geniality" ever since.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates