Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 07:53 PM

5,516 posts, read 8,762,507 times

Advertisements

Let's please put an end to the vicious meme going around in many conservative circles that black Americans don't protest or are otherwise unconcerned about black-on-black crime in their neighborhoods. That is just plain untrue. But it gets repeated over and over again by folks who keep asking "Well, where's Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton when blacks kill other blacks?" Well believe it or not, black people don't need Jesse or Rev. Al to protest black-on-black crime. We are quite capable of doing it on our own -- and we do it frequently too. It took me maybe 20 minutes to Google all the protests against community violence I've posted below, and the list could be much longer if I wanted to.

People aren't aware of this stuff I think because so much of it never hits the national news outlets, which only care when the victims of black-on-black crime are deemed worthy -- like Hadiya Pendleton in Chicago, who was killed in a shoot-out after being in Obama's inauguration parade. But reports of protests, large and small, against community violence are often in local media outlets. But to know that you'd have to actively look for them, and many folks who point to black-on-black crime don't want to look. They prefer at best, willful ignorance, and worst, plain old racism, to support the idea that we somewhere don't care what happens in our own communities.

We care and always have and here are many demonstrations of that over the years and from around the country:

Why Don't Black People Protest 'Black-on-Black Violence'?

https://www.popularresistance.org/30...-the-violence/

‘Stand Up To Violence’ rally protests shooting in Allerton • Bronx Times

'Stop the violence' rally held in response to surge in Tampa shootings | Tampa Bay Times

Joliet residents and leaders urge community to stop the violence | The Herald-News

Newark Anti-Violence Coalition | on the move to politicize and awaken the consciousness of Newark, one community, one home and one mind at a time.

Detroit Rally to Protest Violence Across Community

Houston leaders rally to stop black-on-black crime - Houston Chronicle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2015, 09:09 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,704,681 times
While all you post may be true, the question about where is Rev al and Rev Jesse when black on black crime happens and where are they when a black kills a white like the senseless murders of Shorty Belton and Christopher Lane among others?

I think answering the question "where is Jesse and Al" would go a long way to stopping that "lie".

Old 03-24-2015, 09:16 PM

490 posts, read 659,828 times
Moderator cut: against forum guidelinesBlacks kill blacks, blacks kill whites, whites kill blacks, whites kill whites. One would have to be ignorant to think otherwise. Just because the media over-emphasizes one does not indicate it is more prevalent.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 03-27-2015 at 10:36 PM..

Old 03-27-2015, 07:06 PM

1,293 posts, read 1,216,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
While all you post may be true, the question about where is Rev al and Rev Jesse when black on black crime happens and where are they when a black kills a white like the senseless murders of Shorty Belton and Christopher Lane among others?

I think answering the question "where is Jesse and Al" would go a long way to stopping that "lie".
Why would you ask the average black person where they are? Do you even know that many Blacks don't care for them? If you wanted to know all you have to do is ask.

Old 03-30-2015, 09:37 AM

162 posts, read 155,502 times
It's totally untrue that Black people don't protest. The media just ignores it so that it can keep the ignorant stereotypes flourishing. America is the most racist "developed" country.

Old 04-03-2015, 10:54 AM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:

Where's Jesse Jackson? Rev. Jesse Jackson rallies to stop black-on-black carnage

Old 04-03-2015, 11:02 AM
PJA

2,462 posts, read 3,174,479 times
Quote:

I'm black and I could care less about Jesse and Al and no they don't speak for all blacks. I wish white people would stop bringing them up in debates like the speak for all of us.

Old 04-03-2015, 11:14 AM

950 posts, read 923,628 times
If blacks want to protest crime, the first thing they should do is co-operate with the police who are trying to solve murders.

They seem to be too busy protecting.........the local thugs .

Yup, I wish I had a dollar for every time a thug shoots someone or gets shot and the crying mother says..........." he was starting to turn his life around"

sure, sure , he was............SARC

Old 04-03-2015, 11:23 AM
PJA

2,462 posts, read 3,174,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VJDAY81445 View Post
If blacks want to protest crime, the first thing they should do is co-operate with the police who are trying to solve murders.

They seem to be too busy protecting.........the local thugs .

Yup, I wish I had a dollar for every time a thug shoots someone or gets shot and the crying mother says..........." he was starting to turn his life around"

sure, sure , he was............SARC
What local thugs am I protecting????

Old 04-03-2015, 12:46 PM

950 posts, read 923,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJA View Post
What local thugs am I protecting????

-------if------you refuse to co-operate with the police by giving info you are protecting your local thugs.

Re-read my post and see if the shoe fits .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates