Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 12:15 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,322,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
I see that you have bought the propaganda hook,line and sinker.

At the time that the USSR was placing those missles in Cuba the USA had Nuclear weapons on the Russian border for thousands of miles. Every little artillery station even had nuclear shells to whomp those Ruskies with. Tell me?? Why shouldn't the Russians give the USA a little tit for tat.
Why, because the Russians were holding eastern Europe in a concentratioon camp, were responsible for the murders of tens of mlllions of their own people under Stalin, and were in the business of starving the citizens if Berlin, not to mention killing American sodiers with proxy armies in Korea and elsewhere. Would you rather see all of Korea controlled by Kim bad hair, or do ya think the South has done okay? Do you think the Poles, Czechs, Bulgarians, Romanians, East Germans, Lithuanians, Estonians, etc., would prefer to back behind Russia's barbed wire? Or do ya think at all?

Quote:
I'll bet that you have never been in Cuba and you don't have a clue what you are talking about. My family spends a lot of time there and my sister and her husband are going to retire there after visiting all the surrounding countries to find out where would be best for them.
Hooray for you and them. Enjoy giving your dollars to Castro and his brother. And hey -- why would I want to go to Cuba? I can smell it from Miami.

Quote:
By far most of the people support the revolution because things for the average Cuban are better than they have ever been.
LOL. Revolution about what? The right to remain ignorant and in a prison camp from which no one can leave? Cubans are steeped in paranoia, worshipping a royal family, and living like garbage pickers. Cuba used to be the cathouse of the Caribbean. Then it was the cathouse of the Russians. Now it's a cathouse looking for a new pimp. Making you a john.

Quote:
Take a good look at who the USA supports around the world and you will see that many are far worse than Cuba in just so many ways.
Meaning that supporting another fascist dictator in Cuba is a good thing? How, exactly?

Quote:
After what the USA did in Central America with their support of the Contras it will be a long long time before the people of this region forget that crime against humanity.
Don't feel so bad. Ortega is back in power in Nicaragua and ready to settle some scores. Mod cut. Please read stickies at top of forum regarding personal statements.

Last edited by skinem; 01-21-2011 at 12:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 08:11 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,786,482 times
I would love to travel to Cuba. I heard it is a beautiful country where the rest of the world is free to visit. Although, it's not much of an issue for me I would support an end to the embargo.

Old 01-25-2011, 02:58 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,592,281 times
Perhaps the embargo was more relevant at the time of the Cuban Missile Crisis. But that was 49 years ago, and just about all of the principal players are dead. Besides, let's face it: it isn't as though Americans traveling to Cuba are going to ruin the American economy. (That's already been taken care of!)

Old 01-27-2011, 06:20 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,573,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Why, because the Russians were holding eastern Europe in a concentratioon camp, were responsible for the murders of tens of mlllions of their own people under Stalin, and were in the business of starving the citizens if Berlin, not to mention killing American sodiers with proxy armies in Korea and elsewhere. Would you rather see all of Korea controlled by Kim bad hair, or do ya think the South has done okay? Do you think the Poles, Czechs, Bulgarians, Romanians, East Germans, Lithuanians, Estonians, etc., would prefer to back behind Russia's barbed wire? Or do ya think at all?

I think that the USA supported Stalin and the USSR during WW2
It suited the purposes of the USA at that time and anyone with half a brain knew full well that the result would be the domination of most of Europe by the USSR post war.
I'm not a communist myself in any way but I'll tell you this. I have relatives in Russia and in the former East Germany and they are waiting for the day when conditions become as good for them as it was under communism.

Hooray for you and them. Enjoy giving your dollars to Castro and his brother. And hey -- why would I want to go to Cuba? I can smell it from Miami.

You talk big for someone who lives in a country that has millions living in slums like I have never seen in Cuba. Ever been to the south side of Chicago? Detroit, Flint, St. Louis, Trenton NJ, Cinci? At least when I'm walking around the poorer areas of Havana I'm not worried about being shot or robbed like I am in the USA.

LOL. Revolution about what? The right to remain ignorant and in a prison camp from which no one can leave? Cubans are steeped in paranoia, worshipping a royal family, and living like garbage pickers. Cuba used to be the cathouse of the Caribbean. Then it was the cathouse of the Russians. Now it's a cathouse looking for a new pimp. Making you a john.

Not many Cubans want to leave the country. The ones who wanted to are now living in the USA.

Meaning that supporting another fascist dictator in Cuba is a good thing? How, exactly?

If it was not for the absolute stupidity of USA foreign policy Cuba would have long ago evolved into a free society

Don't feel so bad. Ortega is back in power in Nicaragua and ready to settle some scores. Mod cut. Please read stickies at top of forum regarding personal statements.
Did you learn about foreign affairs at the Sara Palin school of I can see Russia from my house? What a statement you have just made. After the USA supported Contras killed what? 200,000 people, who wins in the end? The guy who was voted in by the majority of the people before the genocide. Who rules in Siagon? by the way. The USA has normal relations with Vietnam. How's that, Guilt complex or what. Did Castro kill 50,000 American soldiers like the Vietnamese did or did you guys just decide somewhere along the line that the whole thing was just one big horrible mistake?

Old 01-28-2011, 07:42 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,289,908 times
It is time to end the embargo against Cuba. Even if for the sake of argument, I were to accept the notion that the Cuban government is somehow worse than all the others in this hemisphere or world, a rational person still has to realize the obvious: The embargo has not worked.

Castro's Marxist government is still in power 52 years after overthrowing the Batista dictatorship. It shows no signs of disappearing.

If the concept of the trade embargo was to destroy the Castro dictatorship than it has been a 50 year failure.

If we want Cuba to peacefully evolve into a more democratic government than its time to look at other policies. One can argue that if the Cuban people were exposed to the benefits of free trade with the USA than they might take an interest in developing an economy and political system that allows them to achieve a higher standard of living.

The idea that we shouldn't trade with Cuba because it is a repressive regime, makes no sense unless we immediately halt trade with countries like China which are also repressive regimes. We could make a list of all the countries in this world that are "repressive" and stop all trade with them. Perhaps, we could stop importing oil because so much of it comes from the Middleast from countries like Saudi Arabia with terrible human rights records? No, we won't do that. Our politicians are smart enough to know that our economy would grind to a halt without imported oil.

The real reason we don't trade with Cuba has little to do with human rights. What is has to do with is the fact that some politicians have allowed themselves to become unduly influenced by the Cuban Exile Community in Florida. It always amazes me the influence this group seems able to exert on the Republican Party and on foreign policy as a result. If the Cuban Exile Community wants to protest Castro they need to stop using American foreign policy to do so. Perhaps, instead they could move back to Havana and protest against Castro there?

Whatever we do, its time to realize that our policy with Cuba makes no sense. "Dumb" is no less "dumb" because it lasts for 50 years.

Old 01-28-2011, 05:28 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,909,043 times
I will abide by the Embargo until it is lifted. It's my duty as a citizen.

However, as soon as I can go there "legally", I'll be there!

Old 01-29-2011, 11:06 PM

584 posts, read 1,934,824 times
allow us travel the imbargo was dumb after 20 years

Old 01-30-2011, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
Did you learn about foreign affairs at the Sara Palin school of I can see Russia from my house? What a statement you have just made. After the USA supported Contras killed what? 200,000 people, who wins in the end? The guy who was voted in by the majority of the people before the genocide. Who rules in Siagon? by the way. The USA has normal relations with Vietnam. How's that, Guilt complex or what. Did Castro kill 50,000 American soldiers like the Vietnamese did or did you guys just decide somewhere along the line that the whole thing was just one big horrible mistake?
I have no idea what you are talking about, except parroting every anti-American tidbit you can throw together. Your use of the phrase `you guys` suggests that you are not an American. If that is the case, I would ask that you identify your nationality and explain just what gives you the right to comment on American policy vis-a-vis a Stalinist dictatorship 90 miles from our country.

Even before you reply, I can assure you that were it not for the United States, it is doubtful that you would own a computer, enjoy access to the internet, or have the right to post critical comments freely without fear of reprisal.

The reason these things are true is that America has put it all on the line, not once but many times, to defend human rights around the world. We opposed Hitler, Stalin (and his successors), and kept South Korea from being dominated by the lunatics in Pyongyang. We sometimes we have been wrong in the leaders we supported, but to argue that other nations deserve to be ruled by tyrants because America was misled by other tyrants is to distort the truth and engage in the worst kind of historical disingenuousness.

You were probably not alive in 1962, when Castro brought the world to the brink of nuclear war, all out of his personal animus toward my country and his despicable strategy of encouraging paranoia and xenophobia among his people. May I remind you that just because you weren`t here does not mean that these things did not happen and that what I say is not true?

As I stated above, if and when Castro and his `government` are prepared to apologize for their behavior toward the United States and the free world, and permit their people free access to information and freedom of expression, we should consider lifting the embargo. But only then. To do otherwise would be to reward the Castro brothers for their intransigence and the paranoid, dictatorial policies which keep the Cuban people mired in poverty and ignorance.

Old 01-30-2011, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
It is time to end the embargo against Cuba. Even if for the sake of argument, I were to accept the notion that the Cuban government is somehow worse than all the others in this hemisphere or world, a rational person still has to realize the obvious: The embargo has not worked.

Castro's Marxist government is still in power 52 years after overthrowing the Batista dictatorship. It shows no signs of disappearing.

If the concept of the trade embargo was to destroy the Castro dictatorship than it has been a 50 year failure.

If we want Cuba to peacefully evolve into a more democratic government than its time to look at other policies. One can argue that if the Cuban people were exposed to the benefits of free trade with the USA than they might take an interest in developing an economy and political system that allows them to achieve a higher standard of living.

The idea that we shouldn't trade with Cuba because it is a repressive regime, makes no sense unless we immediately halt trade with countries like China which are also repressive regimes. We could make a list of all the countries in this world that are "repressive" and stop all trade with them. Perhaps, we could stop importing oil because so much of it comes from the Middleast from countries like Saudi Arabia with terrible human rights records? No, we won't do that. Our politicians are smart enough to know that our economy would grind to a halt without imported oil.

The real reason we don't trade with Cuba has little to do with human rights. What is has to do with is the fact that some politicians have allowed themselves to become unduly influenced by the Cuban Exile Community in Florida. It always amazes me the influence this group seems able to exert on the Republican Party and on foreign policy as a result. If the Cuban Exile Community wants to protest Castro they need to stop using American foreign policy to do so. Perhaps, instead they could move back to Havana and protest against Castro there?

Whatever we do, its time to realize that our policy with Cuba makes no sense. "Dumb" is no less "dumb" because it lasts for 50 years.
I respect your point of view, though I would question the parallel with other repressive regimes which have not, unlike Cuba, threatened the United States with nuclear war, and ask just what political liberalization has occurred in Vietnam and the PRC as a result of our normalization of relations with them (haven`t those countries become more repressive rather than less, and even more firmly in the control of the hard-liners?). I would also question your reference the influence that the Miami Cubans have on the Republican party; correct me if I`m wrong, but aren`t the current President and Secretary of State both Democrats, and isn`t the Senate controlled by the Democrats?

It occurs to me to ask: if the embargo is such a failure, why do the Cubans and their sympathizers here want us to end it? To save us futher embarrassment? One would think that the Cuban economy would be booming --what with all those Canadian tourist dollars pouring in, and the exploding market for tobacco and 1957 DeSotos -- and that the embargo would be largely irrelevant, since it is after all largely a fiction kept alive by the handful of Cubans in south Florida who are still for some reason unhappy about the seizure of their nation by a gang of Communist thugs who keep Cuba living in garbage and ignorance while they strut about in freshly-pressed army fatigues, lest the people forget their proud revolution and the fifty years of dreary gray collectivism which is its philosophical spawn.

Last edited by Yeledaf; 01-30-2011 at 02:06 AM..

Old 02-05-2011, 03:58 AM

This just in: Castro`s latest move to keep the paranoia level high while quashing the flow of information to the Cuban people...

Cuba to seek 20-year sentence for U.S. contractor - World news - Americas - Focus on Cuba - msnbc.com (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41430181/ns/world_news-americas/ - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates