Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2022, 08:39 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,909,909 times

Advertisements

Hi All - We are planning a move to East Grand Rapids from out of State. We visited Ada/Forest Hills, Rockford, and EGR last weekend, and have decided on EGR.

For those that are more intimately familiar, are there any particular areas of town (NSEW) that are more popular for young families?

Anything you'd consider when choosing a a K-5 district? I'm assuming they all have full day Kindergarten?

I understand nearly all housing markets have ballooned due to high demand and historically low rates.. Do you feel like it's totally out of whack in EGR, or would you assume the market is fairly steady moving forward? I know nobody has a crystal ball, but your opinion can't hurt.

Anything else we should be aware of?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2022, 06:15 AM

63 posts, read 78,497 times
You will see some flattening of the Real Estate Market for the next few months. Of course EGR is a highly sought after School District and city to live in so the competition will still be there a bit with buyers just not as much as the past year or so.

Old 07-22-2022, 10:26 AM

5,293 posts, read 6,054,135 times
I guess it will ultimately depend on how close to the walkability you want to be. If you’re only concerned with school district pretty much anywhere in the city will work. EGR is only about 3sq mi so there’s not a whole lot of areas. I’d say if you want to be closer to the action center your search between Hall St. to the south, and Robinson Rd on the north. If you need more flexibility your possibilities will open up extending your search south to Burton. The further south you go from Hall, the further you get away from the quaint street car vibe it offers. The bigger challenge will be inventory. I don’t think EGR is out of whack given the demand. From what I’m aware a lot of inventory is snatched up before it even gets to the market in EGR, so it can be about who you know.

The biggest issue in the Grand Rapids market is a pretty big shortage of new inventory compared to the amount of folks moving in. GR never saw a return of the volume home builders after they left in the 00s. The local builders just don’t have the capacity to support the volume needed. That is the biggest driver of prices/competition. Where other markets are more speculator driven.

Surprised you’re headed to GR, is it a work related move? From what I’ve seen you post you are from much bigger, much sexier cities. I’d think GR would be an adjustment for you. I know you've had experience being in town before. My impression was that you were underwhelmed by your experience lol. If you have specific questions feel free to DM me. I’m not super well versed on the real estate side, but I’m an expert on the area otherwise.

Good luck my friend!

Last edited by mjlo; 07-22-2022 at 10:42 AM..

Old 07-22-2022, 12:14 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,909,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
I guess it will ultimately depend on how close to the walkability you want to be. If you’re only concerned with school district pretty much anywhere in the city will work. EGR is only about 3sq mi so there’s not a whole lot of areas. I’d say if you want to be closer to the action center your search between Hall St. to the south, and Robinson Rd on the north. If you need more flexibility your possibilities will open up extending your search south to Burton. The further south you go from Hall, the further you get away from the quaint street car vibe it offers. The bigger challenge will be inventory. I don’t think EGR is out of whack given the demand. From what I’m aware a lot of inventory is snatched up before it even gets to the market in EGR, so it can be about who you know.

The biggest issue in the Grand Rapids market is a pretty big shortage of new inventory compared to the amount of folks moving in. GR never saw a return of the volume home builders after they left in the 00s. The local builders just don’t have the capacity to support the volume needed. That is the biggest driver of prices/competition. Where other markets are more speculator driven.

Surprised you’re headed to GR, is it a work related move? From what I’ve seen you post you are from much bigger, much sexier cities. I’d think GR would be an adjustment for you. I know you've had experience being in town before. My impression was that you were underwhelmed by your experience lol. If you have specific questions feel free to DM me. I’m not super well versed on the real estate side, but I’m an expert on the area otherwise.

Good luck my friend!
Thanks mjlo, much appreciated.

Yes, this is a work opportunity. It will be our second move in only three years... All good, we like to move anyways, and the kids are still young enough and nimble enough to do it. Do you know if all of EGR offers full day kindergarten?

I have spent extended time in GR in the past. Certainly noticed some changes in downtown this go around south (?) towards Wealthy.

You're not wrong, I/we have exclusively lived in major markets like Chicago, Seattle, the Bay Area, Boston, and I do love my big cities. I won't pretend like I'm a huge fan of the city of GR itself, but I also view my time there as positive. I am, however, a big fan of EGR for what it is... A walkable, safe, convenient area with great schools and strong communal ties. It reminds me of a smaller, more convenient inner Chicago suburb, and I can certainly get onboard with that! And Western Michigan offers more than IL by way of nature.

Thanks again!

Old 07-22-2022, 12:30 PM

5,293 posts, read 6,054,135 times
https://www.egrps.org/documents/Enro...%20Meeting.pdf

Reached out to a friend and they sent me the above link. Looks like kinders start at 8:15 and end around 3:20 in EGR. So my assumption is that’s all day.

You can also reach the school district at 616-235-3535 if you have more specific questions I believe.

GR is small, and will undoubtedly bring culture shock. The thing I loved about it during my time there was how much the city changed and is still changing. There was something fascinating to me about watching this little out of the way, and otherwise obsolete industrial city, grow up and start transforming. That is certainly continuing. There’s a subtle but robust community of folks in Grand Rapids that think big and have had an impact on the otherwise sleepy, provincial folks that are native. GR will never meet the expectations and standards of the places you’ve called home, but If you have a propensity to focus on the positive and seek out the good, you may enjoy your time there.

Last edited by mjlo; 07-22-2022 at 12:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area