Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 12:33 PM

6 posts, read 26,774 times

Advertisements

Can anyone whose african america and who has been here along time what are the advantage of living in this county raising a family, etc, etc,: Is Paulding county a great place to raise kids

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2007, 11:10 PM

73,007 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Default Response

I am an African-American male age 20 and I used to live in Paulding County. I lived there for almost ten years and Paulding County is not a good place to raise your children. I was a child out there myself and that place is very racist. I have had my share of problems out there and it isn't a good place for children. Maybe for the old people who want to retire and get a cheap house, but raising children in an environment like that is ridiculous.

Old 03-15-2007, 02:26 PM

9 posts, read 43,897 times
I Am Not African American But Douglas County In Some Area's Are Nice To Raise A Family Maybe Not So Much The Country Part Out In Fairplay But The Rest Of The Area Is Fine, None Of My Friends Have A Problem Or The Kids My Daughter Goes To School With. I Am Orginally From St Louis And I Was Nervous To Move South Because I Never Knew Much About Racist And Klans And Black Panthers, Both Groups Scare Me But I Feel Comfortable Here Along With My Friends. Villa Rica Area Is Nice And The Houses Are Cheaper. It Has Cleaned Up Alot And Have A Lot Rec Centers. My Friends Out There Like It Even Better Less Traffic And Less Political.
Good Luck

Old 03-16-2007, 08:27 PM

2 posts, read 19,946 times
Default looking to relocate, too.

I read your response about nice places to live in Georgia. I plan to relocate around June. Can you suggest a faily quiet place for an educator to live and a place where I could work.

Old 03-17-2007, 02:29 PM

563 posts, read 2,773,787 times
If you look into Paulding...check out the Powder Springs/Douglasville area of Paulding. Those areas seemed very diverse to me, I'm thinking b/c of their proximity to Douglas County. Hiram, and Dallas, to be quite honest, while it has its areas that are really becoming diverse (for example, along Hwy 278 not far from the Cobb side of Powder Springs) there are still some areas of Paulding that I wouldn't be caught dead in with a flat tire at 9PM as a black woman.

Old 04-08-2007, 08:20 PM

7 posts, read 42,709 times
Default It really depends..

I have been here for almost 10 years and I have lived and been all over Paulding County. If you want to live in a diverse area then live near anywhere near or around Hiram. If you want a very strong African American presence, then Brownsville and S.R. 92 might suit you better. To say that Paulding is Racist is really too general a statement to make. You could say the same thing about areas of Douglas, Cobb, and even Fulton County. It really depends on what you are looking for. You can live in Paulding, shop in Paulding, and recreate (somewhat) in Paulding (generally in Hiram) and not be subject to racism. However, if you are the type that sees racism under every tree and bush, then Paulding or anywhere in Georgia outside of the City of Atlanta, Dekalb, or Clayton Counties would not be areas that you would want to live. In a nutshell, I would recommend Paulding as a place to raise your family and prepare young black children to succeed in 21st century America.

Old 04-08-2007, 09:32 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,883,354 times
Ok, let's clear some of this up.

I live near the West Cobb/Paulding (Hiram) line. It's a growing diverse area, and there are plenty of people of varied nationalities including "black Americans" moving into the area. When I hear comments about racism I have to wonder about who the person is making the comments.

Let's say you are black and from New York. You love Hip Hop and Rap and love to use the "MF" word 4 times per sentence. You own two Pit Bulls and drive down the street playing music with the base so loud it rattles the windows of all the homes within 150 feet or more. You move to Paulding County into a "typical" subdivision, and decide to continue this lifestyle? Are you going to have problems? UH--- YEAH. Is it "racist"? UH--- NO.

It's a matter of respecting those around you (neighbors). It wouldn't matter if you were white and listening to Goober music that loud or whatever either - if you disrespect people around you in that area, then yes, you will have troubles, and it isn't racist - it's just suburban people not taking any crap. People move out to those areas to get away from Urban Atlanta (noise, crime, etc). They put up with huge commute times in order to stay away from it. If you move into the area with an obnoxious urban mentality, then yes, the more "country" mentality of the neighbors will clash. Never usually direct arguments, but you can expect the cops to show up at your door every time the music gets turned up or the Pit Bull jumps the fence and roams free, etc.

If you respect your neighbors, keep your lawn mowed, and keep music to reasonable levels and keep pets properly contained, then it doesn't matter if you're white, black, brown, or yellow - you'll get along fine. If you don't do these things, then again, it doesn't matter if you're white, black, brown or yellow, you're going to have problems in the suburban areas.

This isn't directed at anyone at all who's posted in this particular thread, but the general point here is that regardless of who you are, if you move into this area from elsewhere and have a chip on your shoulder and a disrespectful attitude, then you'll have problems. Remember, you're the "foreigner" (so to speak) when moving into a new area - it's not their job to adhere to your ways - you need to adapt to theirs, or, find a more appropriate area that agrees with you more. Otherwise, really, you'll find that Paulding like most areas around Atlanta, is growingly very diverse and most folks get along just fine.

Old 01-09-2009, 12:39 PM

73,007 posts, read 62,598,043 times
I will give a first hand experience of Paulding County. I moved there in late 1997, hours before I started my first day of 6th grade. Coming from Marietta, that was quite a shock for me at age 11. What I found is that while there were some nice people, it seemed as is it was out of step, especially when I got to high school. Being the type of person who had so many experiences living in different places and dealing with different kinds of people had its advantages. At the same time, it seemed as if many of the people living there were a bit close-minded if not hateful. Nowadays if I go back and talk to many of the people I knew in high school, I wouldn't be able to relate to them for many reasons. Paulding County might be good for what you need, but for some people, it isn't for them. It wasn't for me and I moved out for that reason.

Old 01-09-2009, 08:33 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,883,354 times
Just a refresher FYI folks....

The posting dates are in the upper-left corner of each post. Pirate, you just replied to a thread that hasn't been active in oh - 1.8 years. Chances are the original poster isn't watching it anymore.

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 08-13-2011 at 09:55 PM..

Old 01-09-2009, 10:30 PM

1,352 posts, read 4,374,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I will give a first hand experience of Paulding County. I moved there in late 1997, hours before I started my first day of 6th grade. Coming from Marietta, that was quite a shock for me at age 11. What I found is that while there were some nice people, it seemed as is it was out of step, especially when I got to high school. Being the type of person who had so many experiences living in different places and dealing with different kinds of people had its advantages. At the same time, it seemed as if many of the people living there were a bit close-minded if not hateful. Nowadays if I go back and talk to many of the people I knew in high school, I wouldn't be able to relate to them for many reasons. Paulding County might be good for what you need, but for some people, it isn't for them. It wasn't for me and I moved out for that reason.

In some parts of this county the above is true about anyone not from there.. It has nothing to do with race. I felt it too and that was just being there on work related errands. The areas around cobb (basically acworth) are great, but the rest is just very weird.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia