Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 08:13 PM

9 posts, read 21,177 times

Advertisements

We are looking to relocate from Florida to Georgia, and would love advice on the various areas to start researching!

We're a young family (mid to late 30s) with an 11y old child, and I'd say we're definitely NOT looking for a big city like Atlanta, not even to commute to for work. I am a nurse and DH is in construction, so I'd like to think we can find job opportunities in most average cities. The school system we're moving from isn't the greatest, though my son is special-needs so a reputable school system is a plus. I'd like to find something southern or central GA so as to be somewhat closer to family here in FL, and we're looking to spend in the neighborhood of 100k on a home. We are not prejudiced in the least, but I would like a diverse neighborhood, and I've seen a lot posted lately about segregated areas, so I'd like to stay away from that if at all possible. Black, white, green, purple - it's all the same to me as long as we're in it together.

We come from a quiet town, and are just looking for someplace similar to land; we're not terribly impressed by culture or nightlife. Just a safe place to raise our son and carve out a bit of happiness.

A few areas that have been suggested to me are Columbus, Albany, and Valdosta. Thoughts? Concerns? Other suggestions? I'm open to them all, as long as it's constructive!

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2006, 02:20 PM

722 posts, read 3,316,455 times
god that's pretty much every town in south and central Georgia. There's Vidalia, Warner Robins, Thomasville, Valdosta, Waycross, Hinesville, Brunswich, Americus, The Barrier Islands, Monticello, Madison, Warm Springs. These are all sizable towns in central and south Georgia and safely out of metro Atlanta.

Just so you know, small towns in GA might be sorta different from the small town you grew up in. Many area very segregated and not very accepting. And there is hardly anything to do, but apparently that doesn't bother you. Just choose wisely.

Last edited by Marka; 06-02-2006 at 02:36 AM.. Reason: merged

Old 06-04-2006, 10:12 PM

117 posts, read 392,299 times
Newnan and Fayetteville both are growing (construction) and have good medical systems (nursing jobs) so check those out.

Old 06-19-2006, 04:30 PM

129 posts, read 324,878 times
Dublin Georgia is a nice small city to live. The population is appromately 17,000.
Dublin is a growing city. We have many shopping centers ,good places to eat out , good scools , Churches , and Great Medical facilities. The people here are friendly. The city is about 50 miles Southeast of Macon which is a large city should you ever need one. I am including some links for you. I hope this helps. We would love to have you here in Laurens County!!!

https://www.city-data.com/city/Dublin-Georgia.html

Green and Growing!

Last edited by Yac; 09-13-2007 at 06:02 AM..

Old 06-21-2006, 10:26 PM

137 posts, read 739,458 times
The problem with small town Georgia is that often that is where the racism is found. Small town Georgia is also where the most affordable housing exists. Newnan is a pretty good suggestion. It is close enough to Atlanta to keep people progressive and forward minded. Also, there are a lot of communities around Athens that are cheap and open minded towards diversity. UGA keeps those areas on the more accepting side. Beware of small towns really far from the cities. You can find cheap small towns that are not too far out there. It really is a different world there! A bit frightening one!

Old 06-22-2006, 01:30 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,904,348 times
I live in Valdosta and while we can't stand the weather, it really is not that bad a place to live. We have lived here twice (both times an Air Force move) and the first time I moved here I was quite worried as I am from up north and had lived in the Southwest for five years just before moving to S. Georgia. I was pleasantly surprised by how friendly people are. I am sure if I dug around I could find sterotypical ugly behavior but at least on the surface, people are very nice around here.

Since you are coming up from Florida, you are familiar with the weather (bonus is we don't get as much damage, if any from hurricanes). Religion is very big around here, as I would suspect all over the semi-rural south though, so that's not a big differentiating factor. Housing prices are rising around here, though you can still get about 1200-1500 sq ft 3 bdr, 2 ba for about 80k if you are willing to have California sized lots and a parking slab. We just sold our 1750 sq ft 4bdr/2ba on 1/3 acre for $123,000 (built in the early 70s and in a nice subdivision - and my part of the subdivision was diverse in both ethnicity and age). There are options in between those two examples also. A lot of the new houses going up are 150K and more though, but you should be able to find something in your price range regardless, just probably not brand new. I would suggest North Lowndes county, NW Valdosta (that might get a little pricey), and looking off of Bemiss road for houses in your price range. Check north of Inner Perimeter road around Forrest st - I'm not sure how much those cost but that might be an option too. I would not get anything that is considered to be in NE Valdosta (around Valdosta High and south down Forrest st). Also S. Lowndes county and Lake Park area might have something in your range and are pretty quiet.

There are two hospitals here, tons of private practices, and construction going on like mad....There is also a state university that is expected to expand and get more research money within the next 20 years.

This town is certainly growing and would be extremely convenient to getting down to Florida. If South Georgia is where you are looking to settle, I would put Valdosta pretty high on the list.

Good luck

Last edited by lisdol; 06-22-2006 at 01:35 PM..

Old 01-04-2007, 01:42 PM

2 posts, read 4,812 times
Post Questions???

My family is thinking of moving to Hinesville, Ga.
My husband is a high school math teacher, I am a stay at home mom, we have 2 young boys and we are wondering about the town of Hinesville. I lived there some 15 years ago and know it must have changed. We are wondering about the homes, schools, churches, and over all people. Any information would be helpful.

Thank You

Old 01-04-2007, 02:29 PM

233 posts, read 1,227,131 times
West Chatham and Effingham counties are doing a lot of growing so construction is definitely here. I am not sure if there are a lot of nursing jobs though.

I've only visited Hinesville twice. But it appears to be a nice area as well.

Old 01-04-2007, 02:35 PM

20 posts, read 222,752 times
Hi,
I live in Columbus Georgia. A nice house in a good neighborhood with good schools (North Columbus schools) will cost you about 200000 and up. Prices are going up here like crazy. We bought our house for 150K 6 years ago and selling it for 210K now. I am tired of Columbus, Geogia, it is soooo boring here, we are going to South Florida....Good Luck
PS House prices in Augusta, Georgia are much better, you can find a real nice home in the low 100's and the job market is good there.

Old 07-09-2012, 03:27 PM

1 posts, read 1,071 times
Default looking to avoid small town racism

My family has been in stone mountain,GA for two years. We are looking for a town that is more laid back with a Walmart close by. Hoping to avoid clashing with a town of closed minded people..I am biracial. I have been told that its not a good idea to be anywhere near 400. Any ideas? DH and I have been looking some, but dont want my kids to have to deal with unnessesary things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia