Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2023, 09:25 PM

78 posts, read 61,780 times

Advertisements

I'm being forcibly moved to GA to a tiny town called Parrott that is about an hour from Albany and very isolated. I want to move as soon as possible but the rent I can afford is about 850 a month. Any suggestions for cheap but safer areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2023, 07:21 AM

10,396 posts, read 11,496,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJgalaxy View Post
I'm being forcibly moved to GA to a tiny town called Parrott that is about an hour from Albany and very isolated. I want to move as soon as possible but the rent I can afford is about 850 a month. Any suggestions for cheap but safer areas?
Depending on how large of a metropolitan area you want to live in, I guess that you could look to see if you could find any safe and affordable housing options in mobile home parks in the metropolitan area of your choice.

If you want to live in a significantly larger metropolitan area or region with more job and/or career opportunities, you could probably also think about buying or renting a van and sleeping in it at roadside rest stops and truck stops (and taking showers at truck stops or gyms with affordable memberships) after getting on a (very long) waiting list for a limited amount of HUD (Department of Housing and Urban Development) federal subsidized rental housing.

Unfortunately, a budget of $850/month for a rental dwelling likely isn’t going to get one very far in what has noticeably been an inflated rental market in recent years, particularly in many (if not most) larger metropolitan areas.

Maybe splitting the rent with one or more roommates potentially could be an option? Particularly if you want to move to a significantly larger metropolitan area.

Old 08-02-2023, 01:25 PM

3,715 posts, read 3,700,465 times
I think you have a lot of options so long as you are willing to make concessions.

What about small metro areas like Rome, Valdosta, Dalton, etc.? Or the plethora of mountain towns. Would you consider a roommate? A mobile home? Would almost need to know more information to provide a better answer

Old 08-04-2023, 04:10 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,259,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJgalaxy View Post
If you truly are from Wenonah, NJ and moving to Parrott, Ga, you are to put it mildly going to experience a bad case of culture shock.

Old 08-04-2023, 08:39 PM

2,250 posts, read 2,164,870 times
Columbus is one hour away. 850 here will get you a nice one bedroom in a good area.

Old 08-06-2023, 07:56 PM

204 posts, read 135,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post

What about small metro areas like Rome, Valdosta, Dalton, etc.? Or the plethora of mountain towns. Would you consider a roommate? A mobile home? Would almost need to know more information to provide a better answer
Why would someone moving to Parrott look at places nowhere near it, like Rome, Dalton, and the mountains?

Old 08-06-2023, 08:23 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,496,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Apple View Post
Why would someone moving to Parrott look at places nowhere near it, like Rome, Dalton, and the mountains?
Someone moving to an isolated rural community like Parrott likely would want to look at places farther away from it probably because the places that are at least relatively near to an area like Parrott (in rural Southwest Georgia) largely are also very small towns and rural communities that very likely also won’t hold much appeal to someone presumably coming from the South Jersey suburbs of Philadelphia in a highly urbanized area like the Mid-Atlantic/Northeastern U.S.

Old 08-08-2023, 02:12 PM

3,715 posts, read 3,700,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Apple View Post
I can't speak for why OP wants to move or would live in Parrott to begin with. All I know is they want to move, to somewhere cheap, and I tried to suggest a few decent places that fit that bill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia