Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2022, 02:17 PM

2 posts, read 6,018 times

Advertisements

I was considering a move out to the Lake Lanier area. Can anyone from that area answer a few questions?

1. Which of the several cities surrounding the lake is best to live in?
2. What should I consider if I want access to the lake?
3. Are all the houses out there on wells?
4. Which part of the lake (north, east, west, south) is the nicest?
5. Which areas surrounding the lake are the quietest?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2022, 07:21 AM

703 posts, read 935,716 times
I lived in Gainesville in mid 90's and upon reading your post I think you might want to check out the area along US-129 North of Gainesville.

Old 08-02-2022, 07:25 PM

2 posts, read 6,018 times
Okay, thanks

Old 08-09-2022, 05:53 PM

271 posts, read 302,336 times
You might get more responses in the Atlanta forum, as many consider Lake Lanier (Buford, Cumming) as suburbs of Atlanta. You may get more responses.

I personally like the area around Paradise Boat Rentals 8800 Port Royale in Gainesville. It's a great part of the lake as it gives boaters access to both sides of the lake from a pretty central location. This is strictly for boating, not living on the lake.

Old 05-12-2023, 10:10 AM

60 posts, read 106,773 times
We just bought a house in coal mountain, the area looks very nice close to lake lanier, but it’s getting expansive as people more move towards north georgia area. So I am not sure if it stays as it is today since so many housing projects going on. Flowery branch is also a good alternative

Old 05-12-2023, 10:28 AM

537 posts, read 444,771 times
1. Which of the several cities surrounding the lake is best to live in? Gainesville, Flowery Branch and Buford
2. What should I consider if I want access to the lake? It depends if you're talking boat ramps or access to marinas. There are houses on the water with floating boathouses too. You'd really have to get feet on the ground to see what's available in the real estate market.
3. Are all the houses out there on wells? No, there should be city water most places. Lanier is not out in the country.
4. Which part of the lake (north, east, west, south) is the nicest? There's no "not nice" around Lake Lanier.
5. Which areas surrounding the lake are the quietest? Upriver is quietest. But on weekends, Lake Lanier is incredibly busy and also very loud. Wait until all the offshore racing boats crank it up on Saturday afternoons.

I used to live off Hwy 20 about 8 mi. south of Lake Lanier. We started to buy a house a block off the water, and we made a mistake. Note that Lanier's water levels vary widely--and I've seen it 17 feet low. It's part of being a mountain water lake. But when it's at full levels, it's a premier lake. In fact, it's the U.S. Government's most visited attraction--including any National Parks.

We now live on the Tennessee River--50' from the water. We have a full water pool all year round.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia