Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2020, 12:49 PM

339 posts, read 764,836 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I live in TX, but looking to refi my property in GA. Have spoke to a couple of lenders in GA and none offer a no-cost refi or lender credit. Is this simply specific to GA?

I just refi'd my home in Texas and almost every local lender i talked to offered 2k-3k in lender credit.

Am i missing something here? I even have had a couple of GA lenders ask me why they would give a lender credit on a refi.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2020, 02:16 PM

357 posts, read 329,238 times
Among other things, I imagine it not being an owner-occupied property is an issue.

Personally I can't really imagine a circumstance where I'd want to take advantage of a lender credit right now; given how low rates are, do you think you'll ever refi again?

Old 10-06-2020, 02:23 PM

the property is co-owned and the other owner is the primary owner of the property.

Why would you not want to take lender credit? If there is no cost/points - its a win win. Yes - if rates continue to drop more (which i doubt), will definitely refi again.

Old 10-06-2020, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulio82 View Post
the property is co-owned and the other owner is the primary owner of the property.

Why would you not want to take lender credit? If there is no cost/points - its a win win. Yes - if rates continue to drop more (which i doubt), will definitely refi again.
Okay, then it's an abnormal ownership structure, which is still going to set off red flags for lenders.

As far as cost/points, there's no such thing as a free lunch; of course there's a cost - it's rolled into the principal or the rate. One way or another, you're paying the closing costs.

Old 10-06-2020, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJayATL View Post
Okay, then it's an abnormal ownership structure, which is still going to set off red flags for lenders.

As far as cost/points, there's no such thing as a free lunch; of course there's a cost - it's rolled into the principal or the rate. One way or another, you're paying the closing costs.
Agreed! the lender is making money some way or the other. I just closed a refi on my property in TX and had to pay 0 out of pocket and my total loan value did not change. No clue how the lender made money, but it turned out to be a good deal for me.

Old 10-06-2020, 05:33 PM

1,709 posts, read 3,425,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJayATL View Post

Disagree. Many lenders make the their money on the bulk sale of loan portfolios. They will do no fee. They can be the at market rates to accomplish this.

Other lenders will try to make it off of the rate or fees or a combination of all three (loan sale).

I just closed on a 30 yr JUMBO at 2.875%. The lender credit took care of all fees except $1400 of underwriting and something else. This may make me never want to move. (They also tried to collect a rate lock extension fee and charged one at closing. I paid it at closing, wrote their CEO, and had a refund check in the mail the following week).

Old 10-07-2020, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL Golfer View Post
Disagree. Many lenders make the their money on the bulk sale of loan portfolios. They will do no fee. They can be the at market rates to accomplish this.

Other lenders will try to make it off of the rate or fees or a combination of all three (loan sale).

I just closed on a 30 yr JUMBO at 2.875%. The lender credit took care of all fees except $1400 of underwriting and something else. This may make me never want to move. (They also tried to collect a rate lock extension fee and charged one at closing. I paid it at closing, wrote their CEO, and had a refund check in the mail the following week).
If someone thinks he/she is getting the best rate/terms available in the market without having to pay any fees, he/she is not shopping around enough.

PS - As to your specific situation, I'd suggest you consider renting it out in the future; I've done that with two houses that I got what I thought at the time were amazing rates on (they're both under 4.25 - and to the topic of this thread, as non-owner occupied right now, despite great credit, I can't really beat the rates with refi's unfortunately).

They're pretty significantly cash flow positive, in a great rental market even now (not in Atlanta), and if you've got good credit it shouldn't take you a significant amount of time to pull together whatever cash you need to buy your next house.

Old 10-07-2020, 07:54 AM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
What is a lender credit?

Old 10-08-2020, 05:51 AM

Lender credits work the same way as points, but in reverse. You pay a higher interest rate and the lender gives you money to offset your closing costs. When you receive lender credits, you pay less upfront, but you pay more over time with the higher interest rate.

Lender credits are calculated the same way as points, and may appear on lenders’ worksheets as negative points. For example, a lender credit of $1,000 on a $100,000 loan might be described as negative one point (because $1,000 is one percent of $100,000).

https://www.consumerfinance.gov/ask-...y-work-en-136/

Old 10-08-2020, 03:34 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hulio82 View Post
Lender credits work the same way as points, but in reverse. You pay a higher interest rate and the lender gives you money to offset your closing costs. When you receive lender credits, you pay less upfront, but you pay more over time with the higher interest rate.

Lender credits are calculated the same way as points, and may appear on lenders’ worksheets as negative points. For example, a lender credit of $1,000 on a $100,000 loan might be described as negative one point (because $1,000 is one percent of $100,000).

https://www.consumerfinance.gov/ask-...y-work-en-136/
Thanks for the enlightenment!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
View detailed profiles of: