Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2017, 08:39 AM
bu2

24,107 posts, read 14,896,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Did you actually read the article? This is essentially the central argument:

“Big changes have been happening over the last 30 years,” Ms. Giannone said. “Now we’re actually seeing the impact of them.”

Those changes have come from multiple directions — from globalization, from computerization, from the shift in the United States away from manufacturing toward a knowledge and service economy. These trends have buffeted many smaller cities and nonurban areas. The uncomfortable political truth is that they’ve also benefited places like San Francisco and New York.

“The economic base has shifted in a way that highly favors cities — and big cities — because it’s now based on knowledge, on idea exchange, on agglomeration,” said Mark Muro, the policy director of the Metropolitan Policy Program at the Brookings Institution.
I'm not sure how you could argue against that. And the writer recognizes that big cities still maintain some basic connections to smaller towns and rural areas but arguing that she is "personally disconnected" is to ignore facts. It's not 1960 anymore.
Yes, I read it and actually understood it. She didn't understand that the whole country is not NYC and San Francisco. Atlanta and Chicago have a heavy distribution base to their economy. The US is a food producer and exporter. That's important to both cities. Georgia and Illinois are important agricultural states. San Francisco has become heavily IT dependent and does have close ties to China. Its simply a different economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2017, 01:54 PM

712 posts, read 701,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Yes, I read it and actually understood it. She didn't understand that the whole country is not NYC and San Francisco. Atlanta and Chicago have a heavy distribution base to their economy. The US is a food producer and exporter. That's important to both cities. Georgia and Illinois are important agricultural states. San Francisco has become heavily IT dependent and does have close ties to China. Its simply a different economy.
You may have read it but you clearly didn’t understand the article. And no, you aren’t more knowledgeable about these issue than the professionals who study them for a living. From the article:

Richard Longworth, a distinguished fellow with the Chicago Council on Global Affairs, fears that exactly this is happening in Chicago. The metropolitan area long sat at the center of a network of economic links crisscrossing the Midwest. They connected Chicago to Wisconsin mill towns that sent their lumber there, Iowa farmers who supplied the city’s meatpackers, Michigan ice houses that emerged along the railroads transporting that meat to New York.

“These links have been broken,” Mr. Longworth said. Of course, some remain. And antipathy toward prosperous big cities is not a new theme in history. “But this is different: This is deeper,” Mr. Longworth said. “It is also, as far as we can see, permanent, simply because the economy that supported the earlier relationships has gone away and shows no sign of coming back.”

Old 12-23-2017, 02:24 PM

37,888 posts, read 41,980,539 times
Quote:
The writer clearly specified coastal cities where these changes are most palpable:
A changing economy has been good to the region, and to a number of other predominantly coastal metros like New York, Boston and Seattle.

But it's clear that the changes in other major metros are still having an effect on rural areas in the greater region and she made that point as well.

Old 12-23-2017, 02:45 PM

1,388 posts, read 2,257,916 times
This has been an interesting thread. There is a symbiotic relationship between Atlanta and the rest of Georgia, but it has always been that way and the state is stronger for it even if there is some resentment. Not everyone outside of Atlanta refuses transit, as a matter of fact your fellow metro residents in Cobb, Gwinnett, Forsyth, etc have probably had more to do with the reason transit is underfunded in the city than rural Georgia. As far as subsidizing rural GA...yes there is a lot of that, but remember agriculture and the ports are huge and the related transportation needs are the reason Atlanta exists. I have no issue funding MARTA with tax dollars because as Atlanta goes, the state goes economically and I think most people know that. Atlanta is the reason Georgia is not Alabama.

That all being said, the biggest issues with growth in South Georgia and rural areas of America cannot be fixed by anyone but the residents of those areas. It is easier to retain than recruit people and that is true for rural areas. If you have never lived in a small town or rural area, it is a near impossible sell to get someone to move there. A focus on keeping young people who have family connections and history in the area is key. It is a horrible catch 22 however. There are few opportunities for young people so they leave, but you cannot attract opportunity without investment and quality of life. Instead of trying to attract businesses to relocate to rural areas which has been generally a failure, there has to be more of a focus on an entrepreneurial spirit and a grow your own mentality. There are a lot of pluses to life outside of the big city...If you have adequate employment, you can live like a king in comparison.

You want non metro on board with transit....fund some sort of innovation loan program for rural startups in exchange for MARTA. That would do it IMO.

Old 12-23-2017, 02:48 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,508,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I wonder when we'll get another governor from the Atlanta area?

We've had a bunch of them in the past -- Smith, Slaton, Dorsey, Sanders, Barnes, et al. A number of others have had close Atlanta connections.
That is an excellent question.

Believe it or not (and this is something that many people often find hard to believe), Lester Maddox (a figure who loudly and publicly advocated for segregation for much of his life) was the last governor from the City of Atlanta proper.

I think that Carl Sanders was actually from Augusta but continued living in Atlanta after his one term as governor was over and spent the rest of his life as one of the city/metro's leading citizens as part-owner of the Atlanta Hawks and a high-powered private attorney who did much community work.

Former Georgia governor Roy Barnes (as you noted) is from metro Atlanta, hailing from the Mableton area of South Cobb County.

(...I actually have a friend who went to school and graduated in the same class with Roy Barnes from South Cobb High School.)

Former Georgia governor Joe Frank Harris is from the Cartersville area.

Current governor Nathan Deal was born in Jenkins County in Southeast Georgia, grew up in Washington County in Middle Georgia and has spent most of his entire adult life in Northeast Georgia in Hall and Habersham counties when he was not either in Washington DC serving in Congress or in Atlanta serving as a state senator and governor.

Of the current contenders for governor in 2018, serious Republican contenders like Hunter Hill (Smyrna) and Michael Williams (Cumming) are from the Atlanta metro area while frontrunner and current Georgia Lt. Governor Casey Cagle is from Hall County which is effectively on the exurban outskirts of metro Atlanta... Though, Cagle has very extensive connections and close ties to the business community in metro Atlanta.

Both of the Democratic participants in 2018 governor's race, Georgia state Representative Stacey Abrams (City of Atlanta) and Georgia state Senator Stacey Evans (Smyrna) are from metro Atlanta.

Current Georgia Secretary of State Brian Kemp (Athens) is the only serious contender in the 2018 governor's race not from metro Atlanta.

With five of the six serious contenders in the 2018 governor's race being from the Atlanta metro area/region, the chances seem to be fairly good that the next Georgia governor will either be from metro Atlanta or at least have very strong ties to metro Atlanta.

Old 12-23-2017, 04:37 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,865,336 times
Excellent synopsis from Born 2 Roll as always.

For those of us from Georgia who can trace our roots deep within the state, there has always been a history of a great relationship and an immense pride that the city of Atlanta is not only the state capital but the capital of the entire southeast. This is a recent perception, this us vs. them attitude and would say it begins primarily with transplants who don't appreciate the historic relationship the city and state have always held. To me, Atlanta is Georgia and they are intermingled forever.

If you are originally from elsewhere and feel that Atlanta needs to be separate from the rest of the state, please, please, go back to wherever it is you hail from and take that attitude with you.

Old 12-23-2017, 04:50 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,393,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Excellent synopsis from Born 2 Roll as always.

For those of us from Georgia who can trace our roots deep within the state, there has always been a history of a great relationship and an immense pride that the city of Atlanta is not only the state capital but the capital of the entire southeast. This is a recent perception, this us vs. them attitude and would say it begins primarily with transplants who don't appreciate the historic relationship the city and state have always held. To me, Atlanta is Georgia and they are intermingled forever.

If you are originally from elsewhere and feel that Atlanta needs to be separate from the rest of the state, please, please, go back to wherever it is you hail from and take that attitude with you.
Well said, Saintmarks. Well said, indeed.

Old 12-23-2017, 05:21 PM
bu2

24,107 posts, read 14,896,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR Valentine View Post
You may have read it but you clearly didn’t understand the article. And no, you aren’t more knowledgeable about these issue than the professionals who study them for a living. From the article:

Richard Longworth, a distinguished fellow with the Chicago Council on Global Affairs, fears that exactly this is happening in Chicago. The metropolitan area long sat at the center of a network of economic links crisscrossing the Midwest. They connected Chicago to Wisconsin mill towns that sent their lumber there, Iowa farmers who supplied the city’s meatpackers, Michigan ice houses that emerged along the railroads transporting that meat to New York.

“These links have been broken,” Mr. Longworth said. Of course, some remain. And antipathy toward prosperous big cities is not a new theme in history. “But this is different: This is deeper,” Mr. Longworth said. “It is also, as far as we can see, permanent, simply because the economy that supported the earlier relationships has gone away and shows no sign of coming back.”
These same experts say manufacturing is gone from the US for good. Yet the past year has seen a big increase in manufacturing. The Europeans are concerned that our corporate tax cuts will drive manufacturing from Europe to the US. Germany is a heavy manufacturing and exporting country despite not being low wage at all. There's a defeatist and groupthink about a lot of these experts.

Yes things are changing. But they aren't totally different everywhere.

I fully understood the article. I disagree with their conclusion. You don't have to agree with me, but saying I don't understand just reflects your own lack of understanding.

Old 12-23-2017, 06:57 PM

32,027 posts, read 36,803,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
Of the current contenders for governor in 2018, serious Republican contenders like Hunter Hill (Smyrna)....
For some reason I was thinking Hunter Hill lived in Buckhead. I have bumped into him at various functions up there but maybe he was just campaigning or otherwise attending.

Old 12-23-2017, 07:17 PM

712 posts, read 701,914 times
Quote:
These same experts say manufacturing is gone from the US for good. Yet the past year has seen a big increase in manufacturing. The Europeans are concerned that our corporate tax cuts will drive manufacturing from Europe to the US. Germany is a heavy manufacturing and exporting country despite not being low wage at all. There's a defeatist and groupthink about a lot of these experts.

Yes things are changing. But they aren't totally different everywhere.

I fully understood the article. I disagree with their conclusion. You don't have to agree with me, but saying I don't understand just reflects your own lack of understanding.
Straw man. No respectable researcher is claiming that manufacturing is gone from the US for good. The past year has not seen an unusually large increase in manufacturing employment and manufacturing output, which has increased this year, has been increasing since the end of the recession. Your response is based on the fact that the article is from the librul NYT and your argument consists of repating, “The academics are wrong.”

If you’ve got an actual case for why the article is wrong beyond random speculation and Trump pom pom waving, have at it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia