Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2019, 09:12 AM

297 posts, read 259,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentyoung12 View Post
Is this a serious post? With the amount of progress Macon's downtown has made with all the lofts and restaurants opening, for you to describe it as dead and disappointing, it's obvious that you saw people complimenting Downtown Macon and for whatever reason this bothered you, so you started bashing. That rhetoric might have been warranted 5 years ago, but to speak in such a manner now, you clearly have no clue what's going on Downtown Macon and haven't visited.
I agree! Macon is doing a great job with redevelopment the downtown area. As with anything, progress takes time but I don’t see how anyone who has been to Macon within the past couple years can’t see the efforts being made to make the city core more attractive.

Macon isn’t alone, all of the 2nd tier cities are in transformation mode if you ask me. I would argue that both Macon and Columbus have a little but more going on than downtown Augusta currently as far a construction/redevelopment, although that doesn’t take away from the fact that all are making progress; I’m more impressed by the growth in suburban Augusta than downtown (at the moment) but that could change at the drop of a dime. The Cyber Command has the potential to further spark a growth in the downtown area. These 3 all have great potential and are definitely “underrated” by most.

As someone who is literally connected to all the “major” cities in Georgia and like to see all make it to the next level, I’d like to think I’m giving an unbiased ranking. Disclaimer, 4-6 our “Fall Line Cities” for those don’t know are relatively interchangeable IMO. They are like comparing apples to apples as they are the exact same Culturally with the exception of a much larger military presence in both Columbus and Augusta. (only ranking the larger MSA’s DOWNTOWNS):

1. Atlanta (by far)
2. Savannah (by far)

3. Athens (College town America, almost all are in “boom” mode for their respective size)

4. Columbus (interchangeable, best riverfront and corporate presence)
5. Macon (interchangeable, best historical bones and connectivity)
6. Augusta (interchangeable, cyber command, Masters)

7. Valdosta (some progress, more investments should be made)
8. Albany (some progress although significant investments need to be made, look to the fall
Line cities for inspiration/ideas)
9. Warner Robins (non existent but overall great area)

Stop bashing your peer cities people! To a large extent, many people only recognize one Georgia city *hint hint and group 2-9 as “The Rest of Georgia” not realizing civilization even exists South of Hartsfield-Jackson.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2020, 06:38 PM

3,406 posts, read 1,904,858 times
Columbus: Georgia's best kept secret! A great weekend getaway place! Stay downtown and park your car for the weekend.

www.visitcolumbusga.com

36 Hours: Columbus, Ga. – Find your tourist interests in Columbus, Ga.

Old 04-11-2020, 07:00 PM

11,801 posts, read 8,008,183 times
Atlanta > Savannah > Augusta <=> Athens > Columbus > Macon > Albany > Valdosta

Old 04-12-2020, 10:20 AM

176 posts, read 157,264 times
1. Savannah- (This city carries a little of everything, culture, vibrance, food, and charm. The cities downtown is among the most lively in the state and a role model for places like Augusta and Columbus. Savannah’s natural beauty is unrivaled anywhere in the state. River Streets charm complimented by the riverfront is untouched by any other city in Georgia except maybe in the mountain towns. The restaurant selection in Savannah is probably the best in the state behind Atlanta. Savannah has a lot going for it but it’s true southern charm is why I think it’s number 1. It’s a little of everything in Savannah.

2. Atlanta (Atlanta carries urban charm. However it has lost some of its vibrance and nightlife has shifted from a large part of downtown. However professional sports, shows, venues like the aquarium and sports hall of fame or world of coke give downtown Atlanta something unique. Atlanta is in a league of its own, while some parts feel like being in New York or Chicago Atlanta’s downtown still offers a lot. The streetcars are a welcomed addition but when you look at Peachtree Street you don’t see the sidewalk dining like you do in places like Savannah or Athens. The addition of closed businesses between MLK and Decatur Street gives an opportunity for a lot of development opportunities soon in downtown to pump new growth back in the underground area. Atlanta’s environment for business and international appeal keeps it as a top destination. Although in my opinion I feel Midtown has outpaced downtown.)

3. Columbus (I put Columbus as third due to what’s there and what’s coming. Growth is booming in Columbus’ downtown. Four new hotels, a medical school, lofts, and new office space all under construction or about to break ground. A dynamic assortment of local restaurants and mix of young professionals with CSU’s Uptown campus pumping new life in, The Columbus riverfront has become a Mecca of international tourism. A nightlife and day life balance has put Columbus on a path that follows that of Savannah. Similarly Columbus has preserved its past with the historic district and iconic venues like the Springer Opera House. A mix of bars, clubs, and theaters keeps downtown alive. )

4. Athens ( Athens is just a beautiful city. It’s a true college town which keeps it lively. The vibrance of Athens is unmatched. The dining and live music in Athens paralleled by its nightlife is a real draw to the city. Athens access to culture with its museums and theaters is a real draw and winning point for the city. The only reason I don’t rank the city higher is due to the fact it’s a college town. While downtown Athen’s is lively you can see a downfall in activity when the university lets out in summer months.)

5. Macon (I think Macon has something special. I was there a few weeks ago and really enjoy the life in downtown Macon. A huge assortment of restaurants and sidewalk dining was a real draw and vibrant feature of downtown Macon. A somewhat urban feel with southern comfort makes downtown Macon unique. The access to museums and venues like the centerplex opens downtown Macon even more lively. I love Macon’s mix of small town charm with urban amenities. I can still see developments underway in Macon which shows the potential for more growth in Macon. It’s a great city with a downtown with a lot to offer.)

6. Augusta ( I know it only asked for five but I would get an earful if I did not mention Augusta. The Riverwalk in Augusta is beautiful, I truly love how the cities skyline compliments the river. Augusta has a nice assortment of restaurants and hotels in its downtown as well as attractions. Augusta’s downtown offers southern charm and an urban feel. The potential from Augusta’s medical community is driving growth and keeping young professionals present in the downtown area.) A nice mix of museums and theaters in downtown keep the city feeling vibrant.)

7. Albany ( Albany still remains the economic hub for southwest, Georgia Albany is unique with its collection of theaters and venues like the Civic Center and Flint River Aquarium. There are some nice restaurants in downtown Albany but it lags behind other cities on the state.)

Every city has something special to offer. I believe some of the most beautiful downtowns are in the North Georgia Mountains. Places like Blue Ridge snd Helen can rival some towns in the northeastern U.S. I think downtown Decatur has some of the most charm in Metro Atlanta. It feels somewhat urban but has numerous cafes and restaurants making it so live able. Everything is in walking distance. The mom and pop shops of Decatur make window shopping something of ease. Valdosta in South Georgia is setting itself up to be the next economic hub of South Georgia and it’s downtown is leading the way. The access to festivals and dining are growing in the city. Norcross is Small but has one of the most beautiful downturns. The lit trees, old train station, and access to restaurants create a dynamic charm. Everywhere has has something special and unique but this is my opinion of how they fall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia