Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What City could play New York City best as a movie set?
Philadelphia 34 37.36%
Chicago 42 46.15%
Atlanta 3 3.30%
Los Angeles 7 7.69%
Boston 3 3.30%
Detroit 2 2.20%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2017, 09:26 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,590,323 times

Advertisements

Those aren't tenements. Most of your photos are rowhouses, with a decrepit factory and an abandoned hotel thrown in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2017, 12:17 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,222,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy215267 View Post
Yup those small things are very NOTICEABLE and are the "MAKE IT OR BREAK IT"
I know you’re being sarcastic, but to New Yorkers a lot of small details like that are extremely noticeable. For me, it’s the subway. Movies and TV shows never seem to get the subway right and it’s a small pet peeve of mine. This is a fake subway entrance and sign from CSI NY
Re: [Video] NYC Subway Scene From CSI: NY
The A and E trains don’t stop at 38th Street. And where’s the C train?

Or this from the new Spider-Man movie: https://www.reddit.com/r/nyc/comment..._subway_works/
I don’t even know where to start on this one. An L train that is also a Q train? But the “L” is in lights, like how it is on the newer trains, but the Q is the sign on the front of the train that is seen on the older trains. It’s usually one or the other, not both. Also the Q is colored orange, meaning that it’s running on the Sixth Avenue line in Manhattan with the B/D/F/M trains. But everyone in NY knows that the Q in reality is colored yellow and runs on Broadway with the N/R/W trains. It’s hard to read the sign on the station, but it looks like it says 31st street which is not a real station.

And many TV shows and movies show the trains all covered in graffiti like it’s still the 70s or 80s.

I may look a little crazy right now, but you can see that these little details instantly stick out like a sore thumb to me and other people from NY. It’s not really an issue since 99% of the viewers will not be from NY and this will go right over their heads unnoticed.

Old 12-23-2017, 01:05 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,267,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
I know you’re being sarcastic, but to New Yorkers a lot of small details like that are extremely noticeable. For me, it’s the subway. Movies and TV shows never seem to get the subway right and it’s a small pet peeve of mine. This is a fake subway entrance and sign from CSI NY
Re: [Video] NYC Subway Scene From CSI: NY
The A and E trains don’t stop at 38th Street. And where’s the C train?

Or this from the new Spider-Man movie: https://www.reddit.com/r/nyc/comment..._subway_works/
I don’t even know where to start on this one. An L train that is also a Q train? But the “L” is in lights, like how it is on the newer trains, but the Q is the sign on the front of the train that is seen on the older trains. It’s usually one or the other, not both. Also the Q is colored orange, meaning that it’s running on the Sixth Avenue line in Manhattan with the B/D/F/M trains. But everyone in NY knows that the Q in reality is colored yellow and runs on Broadway with the N/R/W trains. It’s hard to read the sign on the station, but it looks like it says 31st street which is not a real station.

And many TV shows and movies show the trains all covered in graffiti like it’s still the 70s or 80s.

I may look a little crazy right now, but you can see that these little details instantly stick out like a sore thumb to me and other people from NY. It’s not really an issue since 99% of the viewers will not be from NY and this will go right over their heads unnoticed.
Yeah, thats the kind of stuff locals notice. What drove me nuts about "The Revenant" was how obviously it was not filmed in the Dakotas or Montana or where it was set, but clearly in the Canadian Rockies. The historic Fort Kiowa is literally a thousand miles from where they filmed in the Canadian Rockies. (I'm not even a Dakota Local and I know that) They look nothing at all alike.

The few films or TV shows set in my home state of Idaho seem to always get it wrong too. "Georgia Rules" which I couldn't get more than 30 min into was clearly shot in California and in Wayward Pines it looked alot more like the area around Seattle than Idaho (actually filmed near Vancouver )
**Spoiler** I know it is set in the future, and I guess the climate probably would have changed somewhat but still, come on.

Honestly lots of TV and movies get Texas wrong too, not just on how it looks, but the way people are and accents are often done badly.

When it is bad enough this sort of thing can really distract me from a film or show, so lucky I don't notice it THAT often with NYC, otherwise it would probably drive me nuts since so much is set there. lol.

Old 12-23-2017, 02:23 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,189,445 times
Honestly, does this even matter? This is purely trivial.

Old 12-23-2017, 03:14 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,222,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
Honestly, does this even matter? This is purely trivial.
No, not really. It is trivial stuff and is not something over 99% of the audience will notice. The whole point is that things don’t have to be exact when it comes to movies.

Old 12-23-2017, 05:36 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,488,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
No, not really. It is trivial stuff and is not something over 99% of the audience will notice. The whole point is that things don’t have to be exact when it comes to movies.
I would argue that it does matter for certain genres, like crime dramas. But not for comedy or superhero movies.

Old 12-24-2017, 01:06 PM

2,327 posts, read 3,937,599 times
I nominate the New York-New York Hotel in Las Vegas. J/K

Old 12-24-2017, 01:48 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,277,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar54 View Post
I was just going to say Toronto. I think Canadian locations play US locales more than cities here in the states.
Toronto stands in for NYC in countless movies.
All they have to do is a couple of flyover or establishing shots of the real NYC,
then Toronto takes over for the rest.

Just like Vancouver, BC becomes Seattle and the PNW

Old 12-27-2017, 05:17 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,610,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Toronto stands in for NYC in countless movies.
All they have to do is a couple of flyover or establishing shots of the real NYC,
then Toronto takes over for the rest.

Just like Vancouver, BC becomes Seattle and the PNW
I remember Vancouver standing in for Oakland, CA in Romeo Must Die; and for San Francisco in Birth of the Dragon

Old 12-28-2017, 08:19 AM

401 posts, read 331,981 times
I think for SOME tighter shots (no, obviously not long or wide shots) Providence, RI could be used. We've had an uptick in movie shoots in recent years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.