Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 08:47 AM

136 posts, read 581,526 times

Advertisements

Saturdays unexpected, rare snowstorm that caused millions of homes without power, several deaths, closings and some damages across the northeastern U.S.

One main reason was because of the leaves on the trees.
Many homes don't have heat and electricity, and our house was 45 degrees this morning... brrrrr!! What about those with young kids and elderly people?! Few things were opened over the weekend!
Hundreds of thousands of people were stranded at the airports, leading them to no food and few hotels available.

America should really consider having UNDERGROUND powerlines like it is in most other countries in the world, for example like Europe.
This is not a third world country. Instead of spending tax money in other unnecessary things, and on other countries - let's spend them in our country. It makes America laid having overhead, ugly powerlines
BTW why does it take so long for power companies to restore power? It should NEVER take longer than 24 hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2011, 08:52 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,764,075 times
It was also because the snow was icy not light and fluffy.

Why don't more people call their City Officials and request the large old trees be either trimmed or cut down and replace with new trees before they become dangerous? It's not always up to the power Company to cut the tree limbs. I know tree hugging people want them and they can grow them on their own property in the center of their backyards if they want. Just not too close to the neighbors or the roots will grow into the neighbors foundation. I would take them to court for damages if that happened and they didn't pay for the damages.

It takes time to put up new poles, wires, transformers, etc., and with so many people out of power it would be impossible to restore everyone within 24 hours. Maybe someday we will have underground powerlines but not anytime soon. It would cost an unbelievable amount of money to do that for everyone, Plus not everyone wants their property ripped to shreds to install power lines.

Last edited by Lolipopbubbles; 10-31-2011 at 09:03 AM..

Old 10-31-2011, 09:06 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,950,687 times
We'd rather spend billions of dollars blowing up infrastructure in other countries than spending it upgrading our own infrastructure. We have crumbling roads, bridges, public transit systems, and electrical grids, but we have the most powerful armed forces in the world. Political choices have consequences.

Old 10-31-2011, 09:38 AM

14,021 posts, read 15,018,765 times
OR we can invest 100 dollars in a fire place, lol

Old 10-31-2011, 02:07 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,656,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
We'd rather spend billions of dollars blowing up infrastructure in other countries than spending it upgrading our own infrastructure. We have crumbling roads, bridges, public transit systems, and electrical grids, but we have the most powerful armed forces in the world. Political choices have consequences.
Totally agree--not just blowing them up, but then rebuilding them probably better than our own.

Old 10-31-2011, 02:50 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
Oh good Lord Mattias, North_NJ, NJ-201, etc...; didn't you already get the answer to this question when you asked it under one of your Many, Many names already?

Overhead Vs Underground powerlines

It was explained then why there are more areas that do NOT have underground power in the US in comparison to Europe.

Old 10-31-2011, 03:04 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,029,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Oh good Lord Mattias, North_NJ, NJ-201, etc...; didn't you already get the answer to this question when you asked it under one of your Many, Many names already?

Overhead Vs Underground powerlines

It was explained then why there are more areas that do NOT have underground power in the US in comparison to Europe.
I know. I've lost track of his various aliases over the years, but it's sad that he's still making these threads years later.

Old 10-31-2011, 06:26 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
I know. I've lost track of his various aliases over the years, but it's sad that he's still making these threads years later.
I know, it is kind of sad really.

Americans are fat and lazy,
All our powerlines are above ground,
Our turn signals are red on some cars,
God forbid, we don't use metric,
Speaking English instead of French... oh the shame of it all,
Shoot, the simple fact we are all not multilingual,
We can't drive here in the US.

I'm sure I have missed a few of his complaints about how backwards and ignorant we all are here in the US. I still find it funny that while he spews how much he hates the US and Americans in general over the years, he is still living here and making a living here instead of wherever the heck it is his family came from. If it is so blessed great "back home" I suggest he pack his sorry behind up and scurry back there.

At least the last couple names he has added a bit different back story trying to hide who it is. This time he is from Belgium instead of Sweden, and is in Canada (too bad he slipped on this thread and was complaining about the Northeast part of the US and his house being without power.) Last name he was married with kids.

Nevermind he is already complaining about the language issue in another thread LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libnani View Post
At least many Quebecois speak English, as well as another language, while rest of North America usually only speak English.

Old 10-31-2011, 07:28 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,023,882 times
The thing about underground powerlines is that you can still lose power as these are "fed" from above ground lines. We have plenty of times and we have underground lines in our area. Wind, ice, cars slamming into poles, thunderstorm lightning strikes, etc.

Old 10-31-2011, 08:44 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,764,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post

Do I ever agree with you here. If this Country wasn't so war happy and didn't go into the wrong Country we would have more money to take care of our own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.