Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2024, 01:54 AM

8,080 posts, read 12,799,949 times

Advertisements

Have you looked into U-ship? https://www.uship.com/

You could even have your car shipped with them and then fly to your new home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2024, 09:25 AM

2,442 posts, read 2,530,778 times
I saw uship.
From a similar container company I got a quote for $3000. That's crazy, cause air transportation would be around $1500, with multiple flights. Air just inconvenient.
Even regular truck transportation is around $1900, so those container companies are super greedy.
I will end up probably packing more in my car and shipping the rest with UPS or USPS or FedEx.

Old 02-22-2024, 09:46 AM

15,427 posts, read 9,107,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Town View Post
Honestly I hate to drive uhaul truck for more than 50 miles. Plus I have higher end car, don't want to take a risk with trailer as I have never done that. I might consider multiple stops along the way with living in different coastal towns for few days. So I would like to ship my belongings in a container and drive my car in vacation mode.
You are making this way more complicated than it has to be. Just go and rent a U-Haul. They have pickup trucks, they have cargo vans, they have every size box truck starting from 10 feet. They have trailers and auto-transporters. They have whatever you need.

A 10 foot truck and and auto-transporter would be your best bet. If you absolutely don't want to tow your car, then just get a 10 foot truck or a cargo van and then come back and get your car.

Old 02-22-2024, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
You are making this way more complicated than it has to be. Just go and rent a U-Haul. They have pickup trucks, they have cargo vans, they have every size box truck starting from 10 feet. They have trailers and auto-transporters. They have whatever you need.

A 10 foot truck and and auto-transporter would be your best bet. If you absolutely don't want to tow your car, then just get a 10 foot truck or a cargo van and then come back and get your car.
This is way complicated than I need.
I just need to ship my boxes at reasonable price.
Reasonable price for this amount of belongings is $500-1000, but not $2000-3000. That's it.
And I want to stop at beach towns and state parks along the way. Just want to have a pleasant drive, but not what others are trying to suggest.

Mods can delete this thread. Thanks

Old 02-22-2024, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post

Reasonable price for this amount of belongings is $500-1000, but not $2000-3000. That's it.
And I want to stop at beach towns and state parks along the way. Just want to have a pleasant drive, but not what others are trying to suggest.

Moderators can delete this thread. Thanks

Old 02-22-2024, 01:56 PM

7,523 posts, read 13,642,700 times
Quote:
I saw uship.
From a similar container company I got a quot
e for $3000. That's crazy, cause air transportation would be around $1500, with multiple flights. Air just inconvenient.
Even regular truck transportation is around $1900, so those container companies are super greedy.
I will end up probably packing more in my car and shipping the rest with UPS or USPS or FedEx.
Did you really look at Uship ?
It is not a "container" co like PODS or U Box. On U ship , you post what you need shipped where, and truckers going that way then BID on your shipment. You then accept or turndown bids as you see fit.

Works well for small or unusual items.

Old 02-22-2024, 03:07 PM

23,346 posts, read 18,916,990 times
Quote:

Mods can delete this thread. Thanks
TBH, you kept changing the goalposts. IMHO you are the one making moving a just pickup bed's worth of stuff more complicated. You don't like the shipping prices quoted. What you happen to think is reasonable may not be. The market will get what the market will bear. People here have made reasonable suggestions, but you don't like them. Then you started down this weird rabbit trail about marine/trans-oceanic freight handling. Economy of scale is a thing. So, you want to combine a vacation with a move. It would be easy rent a van/small truck and stop wherever/whenever you wish, but you won't tow your car. It would be easy to do your move and plan your vacation for another time. It would also be so easy to purge your belongings down to things you can't replace on the other end, ship them to an address that will hold the boxes for you and drive your car wherever you want. Just be aware if you're touring around with a fully packed car, it will become a target for thieves. Plan accordingly.

Last edited by Parnassia; 02-22-2024 at 03:17 PM..

Old 02-22-2024, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
TBH, you kept changing the goalposts. IMHO you are the one making moving a just pickup bed's worth of stuff more complicated. You don't like the shipping prices quoted. What you happen to think is reasonable may not be. The market will get what the market will bear. People here have made reasonable suggestions, but you don't like them. Then you started down this weird rabbit trail about marine/trans-oceanic freight handling. Economy of scale is a thing. So, you want to combine a vacation with a move. It would be easy rent a van/small truck and stop wherever/whenever you wish, but you won't tow your car. It would be easy to do your move and plan your vacation for another time. It would also be so easy to purge your belongings down to things you can't replace on the other end, ship them to an address that will hold the boxes for you and drive your car wherever you want. Just be aware if you're touring around with a fully packed car, it will become a target for thieves. Plan accordingly.
This is total BS
I asked about marine transportation as it is quite common for overseas moves. Why not?
So turned out it's not possible domestically within the US, question solved.
I don't need any other suggestions.
Yes I am looking for some better rates and I will find whatever works for me.
That's it.
Thread closed.
Thanks.

Old 02-27-2024, 07:19 AM

5,581 posts, read 2,313,274 times
Quote:
Reasonable price for this amount of belongings is $500-1000, but not $2000-3000. That's it...
If your entire load is in boxes, perhaps you can ship via USPS. Take the boxes to the Post Office the day before you leave, even if you need to take multiple trips to the post office due to having a sedan. Should take 3-5 days for delivery.

USPS has a cost estimator online but you can always take 1 box to the post office now to get them to measure and weigh, to get an idea about cost, without actually shipping it yet. Then do the math on the rest of the boxes for a rough estimate of cost if you ship your boxes via USPS.

Might be around $25-$60 per box to ship via USPS, depending on size and weight.

Old 02-27-2024, 08:07 AM

15,427 posts, read 9,107,021 times
Quote:
This is total BS
I asked about marine transportation as it is quite common for overseas moves. Why not?
So turned out it's not possible domestically within the US, question solved.
I don't need any other suggestions.
Yes I am looking for some better rates and I will find whatever works for me.
That's it.
Thread closed.
Thanks.
Because it's not cheap. Have you ever seen the prices people spend to move overseas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues