Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2023, 11:26 PM

543 posts, read 1,900,056 times

Advertisements

We are moving from Austin to NY in November and have heard horror stories about large moving companies. We have experienced some issues with movers in the past but they were only local moves. We have never done a move this big and will need more than the local U-Haul. We need long-distance movers who will load and unload. We are doing the packing ourselves.

If anyone has made an out-of-state move and had a good experience, or knows of a reputable moving company it would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

Old 07-02-2023, 07:50 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,299,568 times
We used Atlas when we moved from NY to FL and I would NOT recommend them.

Old 07-03-2023, 12:27 PM

7,243 posts, read 7,066,230 times
I've moved several times now - no mover is good.

I recommend DIY with upack or some such and just hire local labor for muscle.

Old 07-03-2023, 02:11 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Just something to consider. If you plan to go to the expense of a professional moving company to load, haul, and unload everything but do the packing yourself, be careful to read the fine print regarding what their damage insurance will or won't cover and to what percentage of value.

I've used larger interstate moving companies several times and they were contracted to pack, box, load, haul, unload, and partially unpack (furniture). The vast, vast majority of items arrived safely. There were usually some things I packed myself ahead of time. The movers made sure to label those items or boxes separately from the rest. They don't want to be responsible for breakage of things they didn't pack/box, so the liability coverage may be different.

Also consider that your time is worth something, especially if you work full time and/or have kids in school. A professional packing crew can pack, box and load the entire contents of a family home in just a day or two. How long will the same job take YOU?

Last edited by Parnassia; 07-03-2023 at 03:26 PM..

Old 07-03-2023, 03:17 PM

4,831 posts, read 3,259,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oc2nyc View Post
We are moving from Austin to NY in November and have heard horror stories about large moving companies. We have experienced some issues with movers in the past but they were only local moves. We have never done a move this big and will need more than the local U-Haul. We need long-distance movers who will load and unload. We are doing the packing ourselves.

If anyone has made an out-of-state move and had a good experience, or knows of a reputable moving company it would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

I used the San Antonio Two Men and a Truck outfit to move me to Nebraska. Same two guys loaded, drove the truck, unloaded, then drove back home to Texas.

Old 07-03-2023, 03:20 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,588,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
We used Atlas when we moved from NY to FL and I would NOT recommend them.
Why?

I've used atlas 4...(5?) times for major cross country, full service (they come and pack for you) moves and they've been great every time. They also coordinated creating high dollar items (a few antique furniture pieces, wine, tvs, art).

I'm not saying you didnt have a bad experience, just that YMMV.

Old 07-09-2023, 08:24 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,299,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
Why?

I've used atlas 4...(5?) times for major cross country, full service (they come and pack for you) moves and they've been great every time. They also coordinated creating high dollar items (a few antique furniture pieces, wine, tvs, art).

I'm not saying you didn't have a bad experience, just that YMMV.
They gave us a price and a day to have our stuff moved to our new home. Nobody told us they wouldn't leave New York until the truck was filled and that they put more than one family's belongings on the same truck. We spent three days in our new home in Florida with no furniture and we had a 2 month old at the time. We had to buy pool air mattresses to sleep on.

Then they finally get to our house (days after they were supposed to) and the bill amount had been whited out and replaced with a new figure. They wouldn't unload our stuff until we paid the extra amount. There is more but this happened in 1985 so I don't remember all the details; I just remember it was a nightmare.

And now, all these years later, they hopefully have improved.

Old 07-09-2023, 05:31 PM

4,831 posts, read 3,259,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
They gave us a price and a day to have our stuff moved to our new home. Nobody told us they wouldn't leave New York until the truck was filled and that they put more than one family's belongings on the same truck. We spent three days in our new home in Florida with no furniture and we had a 2 month old at the time. We had to buy pool air mattresses to sleep on.

Then they finally get to our house (days after they were supposed to) and the bill amount had been whited out and replaced with a new figure. They wouldn't unload our stuff until we paid the extra amount. There is more but this happened in 1985 so I don't remember all the details; I just remember it was a nightmare.

And now, all these years later, they hopefully have improved.

This kind of shenanigans isn't carrier specific, and no it hasn't improved. Family member went through a similar 'hostage' situation a couple months ago.

Old 07-09-2023, 06:38 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
The easiest way to avoid "Hostage Loads" is to know the regulation for the state you're moving to. If they have "Hostage Load" regulations, make sure all the required documentation to prove a "Hostage Load" is in your possession.

Next, research the assistance available and have their information at the ready. Most times, its a call to law enforcement with the proper documentation and they take care of it. I'm sure we all seen the Hostage Load news reporting of moving companies being banged for violations of the regulations. Don't be afraid to be the one making the next call.

Old 07-12-2023, 08:49 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,070,207 times
Where in NY? The City? How much stuff...a full house? Or a partial Load? The best mover in the USA runs out of Syracuse of all things. More than likely he can accommodate you. Give us some details.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues