Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2023, 09:31 AM

1 posts, read 2,400 times

Advertisements

I apologize if this isn't the right subforum for these questions, but I didn't know where else to ask these.

I've recently been awarded SSI benefits for mental disabilities, and I'm trying to figure everything out. I've tried searching for some of these answers through Google and various government sites, but they've been less than helpful (probably due to my lack of Google Fu). So I was hoping some of you might be able to help.

1.) Do I qualify as a NED (Non-Elderly Disabled) person when filling out a housing voucher application? I don't have any physical mobility issues, and I kind of assumed that's what this was for, but they don't make it very clear.

2.) If you win the lottery for a housing voucher in another state or distant city, how long do you have to find a home that will accept it, and is there any financial assistance available to help with the move?

3.) How exactly does the process work? For example, I know they keep 30% of your income (or in my case, my SSI benefits) and then pay for the rest of the rent, but how long does it last? Do you have to keep applying for housing vouchers, or is it automatic once you're in or until your situation changes? If a landlord evicts you or something similar, does the voucher carry over to a new home?

4.) Can you apply for vouchers in cities or states outside your current region? I'm currently in the Louisiana/New Mexico/Texas region, but have wanted to move to Vermont to be closer to some family.

I have follow-up questions as well, but those can wait. Any help you can offer would be invaluable to me, even if it's just a link to a site that explains these things better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2023, 01:04 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
You may want to repost this in the Renting Forum here on CD:
city-data.com/forum/renting/
or ask the moderator to move it.

Those question probably has been asked and answered. You can also search thta subforum for "Section 8" and there will be lots of post. Just know, have a thick skin as some answers are just political chest thumping over the program and not really answering the question, so wear hip waders.

Old 06-06-2023, 02:00 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim Fandango View Post
I apologize if this isn't the right subforum for these questions, but I didn't know where else to ask these.

I've recently been awarded SSI benefits for mental disabilities, and I'm trying to figure everything out. I've tried searching for some of these answers through Google and various government sites, but they've been less than helpful (probably due to my lack of Google Fu). So I was hoping some of you might be able to help.

1.) Do I qualify as a NED (Non-Elderly Disabled) person when filling out a housing voucher application? I don't have any physical mobility issues, and I kind of assumed that's what this was for, but they don't make it very clear.

2.) If you win the lottery for a housing voucher in another state or distant city, how long do you have to find a home that will accept it, and is there any financial assistance available to help with the move?

3.) How exactly does the process work? For example, I know they keep 30% of your income (or in my case, my SSI benefits) and then pay for the rest of the rent, but how long does it last? Do you have to keep applying for housing vouchers, or is it automatic once you're in or until your situation changes? If a landlord evicts you or something similar, does the voucher carry over to a new home?

4.) Can you apply for vouchers in cities or states outside your current region? I'm currently in the Louisiana/New Mexico/Texas region, but have wanted to move to Vermont to be closer to some family.

I have follow-up questions as well, but those can wait. Any help you can offer would be invaluable to me, even if it's just a link to a site that explains these things better.
I can answer some of it. Yes, I think you are disabled whether or not it's physical. If you get section 8 they don't give you very long to find a place. It might be three months or it might be less. No, they don't help you. The voucher lasts until you are over income or if you decide to start working or you otherwise disqualify yourself. It can last your entire life. You don't have to re-apply but don't break any of the rules or you could get thrown off. Your rent will be 1/3 of your income but it's also somehow based upon the cost of living in the particular area. If the landlord evicts you, you can just go somewhere else that takes section 8. That is, unless you're in trouble for breaking the rules, like having other people live with you or renting out a room.

Old 06-06-2023, 02:25 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Some counties/cities/states allow for the transfer of vouchers while others don't, you need to call & ask

Getting your name drawn in the lottery means you are on the list, you might wait on that list for years before your number comes up, and even at that the locality where you applied can have it's own preference rules, i.e. "employed locally" "has minor children" "disabled/elderly".

The voucher will expire 60 days after you receive it, where I live (Northern California) very few people can find a rental within 60 days.

You are responsible for the down payment, but some local housing authorities will help with that, you'd need to contact them directly.

You are responsible for paying for the credit check, if you have to apply for a lot of places get a printout of your credit score and bring it with you and ask them to let you know if that's adequate rather than pay out $40-$60 only to be told you don't qualify
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues