Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2022, 12:23 PM

7,514 posts, read 13,611,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamson520 View Post
There was quite the fracas at my apartment complex last week. Someone apparently had a U-box dropped off and placed in a parking space in the apartments' parking lot. Management called a tow service and they somehow got it put on a flatbed tow truck and taken away! I overheard the resident out in the parking lot screaming bloody murder and the manager was out there too saying U-boxes weren't allowed because the parking lot is permitted parking spaces for vehicles only.

I can only imagine what sort of monkey wrench that put in someone's move. How do you get a U-box out of impound???
Probably had U-Haul go get the Box, bring it to their rental lot, transfer the goods to a U-Haul van, then delivered to the apt.

All the "YouPack/We Drive" outfits try to warn customers to be sure to check into this very issue of if and where a container can be parked, whether on street or parking lot.

Many apt dwellers have to bring or pickup their stuff to the shipper's terminal when using a container shipper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2022, 07:58 AM

2,003 posts, read 2,878,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
Probably had U-Haul go get the Box, bring it to their rental lot, transfer the goods to a U-Haul van, then delivered to the apt.

All the "YouPack/We Drive" outfits try to warn customers to be sure to check into this very issue of if and where a container can be parked, whether on street or parking lot.

Many apt dwellers have to bring or pickup their stuff to the shipper's terminal when using a container shipper.
Apparently it was the very beginning of this tenant's process. It was an empty U-box which had been delivered and the tenant had yet to fill it for U-Haul to pick up and take away.

Old 06-09-2022, 12:24 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,685,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamson520 View Post
There was quite the fracas at my apartment complex last week. Someone apparently had a U-box dropped off and placed in a parking space in the apartments' parking lot. Management called a tow service and they somehow got it put on a flatbed tow truck and taken away! I overheard the resident out in the parking lot screaming bloody murder and the manager was out there too saying U-boxes weren't allowed because the parking lot is permitted parking spaces for vehicles only.

I can only imagine what sort of monkey wrench that put in someone's move. How do you get a U-box out of impound???
Yea, I had that concern so I got clearance from my apmt manager. I'm still concerned with vandalism as even though I only need the day to fill it up, it will sit a 3 nights before they come pick it up. Stupid, but I can't justify dropping another $1500 (the next cheapest option) + more money for someone to load it just to have it picked up some day. Fingers crossed.

Old 06-10-2022, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
Yea, I had that concern so I got clearance from my apmt manager. I'm still concerned with vandalism as even though I only need the day to fill it up, it will sit a 3 nights before they come pick it up. Stupid, but I can't justify dropping another $1500 (the next cheapest option) + more money for someone to load it just to have it picked up some day. Fingers crossed.
I need to correct myself here, I just spoke with them and they are taking it same day, so it will not be sitting overnight let alone several nights.

Old 06-27-2022, 08:07 PM

So part 1 is complete. The u-box holds more than I expected. I had downsized considerably but was still worried I would be leaving some items near the dumpster. I actually had some extra space. They aren't massive, but I was a bit surprised at how much they held. I actually paid the extra $200ish to have them load it for me. I was amazed at how quickly the 3 guys that showed up, loaded me up from the 4th floor (no elevator) in less than 45 minutes. Here's hoping the travel in transit, storage and delivery go as smoothly.

Old 06-27-2022, 08:24 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,972,911 times
Quote:
Here's hoping the travel in transit, storage and delivery go as smoothly.
Did you get one of the newer Non-Wood boxes?

Old 06-28-2022, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Did you get one of the newer Non-Wood boxes?
Mine was wood (unless the new non-wood is designed to look just like wood) but was at least new.

Old 06-29-2022, 02:52 PM

7,514 posts, read 13,611,290 times
Default New metal U-Box

Quote:
Mine was wood (unless the new non-wood is designed to look just like wood) but was at least new.
The new metal boxes are clearly different. Appear to be same size as wood.

https://www.uhaul.com/Locations/GetP...=978332&size=2

Old 07-19-2022, 12:55 PM

Just a quick update, my use of U-box by U-haul was a complete success. Load up by the added on moving crew from the 4th floor was quick. Everything that I had in the u-box arrived and was unloaded by the add on unloading crew with no problems. Nothing broke, no issues. No billing issues, no delays. Communication was good through the process. Most of my experiences with U-haul services have been awful, so I was pretty scared to use them for this, however, considering it was significantly cheaper than PODS and u-pack, I couldn't pass up the savings. Glad I didn't, as it worked out. Two thumbs up. Side note, not sure what the storage/warehouse for U-Box looks like here in Arizona, or for the Tempe location I used, but so far I'm not noticing any heat related issues. All electronics working fine, however, I generally avoided putting anything in it that I thought may suffer (candles, records/vinyl, etc) except for some DVD's which haven't been tested yet.

Old 07-28-2022, 09:38 AM

483 posts, read 243,461 times
I used a U-pack. Only complaint is ants got into our stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues