Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2016, 07:03 PM

194 posts, read 291,723 times

Advertisements

So my hubby and I just closed on our first home here in AZ. We had an inspection done and the owners fixed the minor repairs needed. That being said, the home 'showed' beautifully so I was quick to jump on it. Now that all is said and done I see that they must have had it staged. Where art was once formerly displayed there is now the most awful paint streaks that they tried to cover (successfully I might add). Also the house is FILTHY, I mean, I have spent the last 3 days cleaning old poo and pee off toilets and scrubbing the cherry cabinets that from the outside are shiny and gorgeous but on the inside are covered in crumbs, spills and grime. But I can handle all of the above..

The main problem is the carpets. The whole house is wood floor except the 3 spare bedrooms and when we first saw the house as well as when the inspection was performed, they had (what I now realize, looking back at photos) 'strategically' places rugs over the most awful paint and bleach (amount other things) stains. I am appalled at the condition. I can handle cleaning and dust, but I know not even a carpet cleaning is going to salvage these carpets and they need replaced.

Basically, we have yet to 'sign off' on the walk through even though we closed. Is there anything we can do to get them to cover the cost of the carpet being replaced? I am NOT cheap but carpet for this house will be close to $1000 and it's not as if we bought a cheap, fixer upper. We paid asking price for this home and feel that the carpet issue should have been disclosed beforehand.

Also, they left behind a ton of stuff for me to get rid of. I do not want their old things and am very frustrated with the added work being put on my plate right now. Not that I expect anything to be done about that but it just infuriates me how ridiculous some people can be.

I am trying so hard not to be nit-picky and definitely want to pick my battles but I feel the carpet situation is wrong and I would appreciate any input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2016, 07:30 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,602,405 times
Call your realtor! Express your displeasure over these two items. Go from there.

Old 07-01-2016, 07:50 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,464,005 times
I thought the walk through was suppose to be done before you close?

Sounds like you did a walk through after closing/the deal was sealed so not sure legally what kind of leg you have to stand on. I don't think you have much leverage at this point but perhaps someone who has more experience in these matters can offer something more. Did you ask your realtor?

That's too bad someone did that to you. That's terrible/I'd be big time ticked off.

Old 07-01-2016, 07:56 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,217,036 times
Walk through after you close? Once you close it is yours and you own the problems.

I'm no lawyer but I don't think you have any recourse now outside of litigation which would not be worth it for $1000 (to me at least).

Sounds like you got the house you wanted...clean it up and replace the carpets and enjoy it for years to come.

Are you still in Goodyear? If so, which area did you purchase in?

Old 07-01-2016, 08:00 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,676,901 times
The inspection was your chance to look for defects. If you knew they kept a dirty house, you should expect a dirty house after close.

Old 07-01-2016, 08:26 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,273,155 times
I never move in right away, I always at least change out carpets, repaint and have it hard cleaned by a service. people are dirty.

Old 07-01-2016, 08:38 PM

People are so dirty! Thanks for the replies.

I do not know how it all works. All I know is we have the spec sheet that is supposed to be signed by us after the walk through and we have not yet signed it and given it back. But we closed on Tuesday and the sellers left town about a week beforehand.

There were a couple other issues that had to be resolved upon closing that the seller's agent agreed to cover because they were supposed to be fixed before closing but weren't.

As mentioned I am not trying to nit-pick, just a little frustrated that this carpet issue was not disclosed.

We had an inspection done and nothing was ever noted about the carpets as the real bad spots were covered at the time.

The house really did not look that dirty when we originally viewed it. Then again, I didn't go through their cabinets and lift their toilet seats. I assumed it would be left in at least a reasonable clean condition

Old 07-01-2016, 08:39 PM

551 posts, read 692,846 times
I think you're screwed since you already closed. It doesn't matter if you sign off at this point or not. They don't technically have to honor it. You could definitely try and see if they do, but they don't have to.

Old 07-01-2016, 08:43 PM

By the way we brought in Litchfield Park. We love the house and the location. Just feel
Like we got a little hosed with the current condition of the house. Don't worry, I will bring it up to par and be very happy with it for many years.

Old 07-01-2016, 08:48 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,273,155 times
An inspection won't typically call out dirty carpets anyway, they're primarily looking for health and safety issues, making sure everything works, etc, not cosmetic issues. As they say you don't want someone else's toe nail clippings in your carpet, just buy new fresh carpet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues