Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2016, 11:46 AM

134 posts, read 176,426 times

Advertisements

Moving from DC to FL in July. I don't have a tremendous amount of furniture, and of what I have, most of it is not worth hauling 1000 miles. I'm moving in with my SO, and his place is fully furnished, of course. I do know I have to 'keep my options open', but I don't think it's worth bringing my junk down there and paying $100 a month to store it. I can give some of my things to my daughter for her apartment and have both (grown) kids take their stuff they've left me to hold on to, but in the end I would simply be moving boxes.

I know I can ship my books USPS, which is about half my stuff!

I'm reluctant to get a uhaul or Budget truck, as the $1000 expense for just the truck (plus gas, motel, food, etc) seems like I waste when I'm not bringing that much stuff.

So back to the original question (and I ask because I'm having difficulty finding info on the car rental websites) do companies do one way cargo van rentals? If anyone has used them, was it worth it in the end or am I being ridiculous?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2016, 12:57 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,993,806 times
uhual hertz/penske ... all do one way rentals.

u could also look in to pod type systems if its just boxes might be smaller and easier to handle

Old 05-14-2016, 01:39 PM

7,514 posts, read 13,608,655 times
Most outfits will not rent cargo vans one-way. Or they have exorbitant "drop fees".

If load is small enough, consider a Soccer-mom style minivan (Dodge Grand Voyager, etc) with the fold-flat rear seats.

Old 05-14-2016, 03:32 PM

1,995 posts, read 2,075,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
uhual hertz/penske ... all do one way rentals.

u could also look in to pod type systems if its just boxes might be smaller and easier to handle
+ ryder.

How certain is the relationship? What about just putting it into a local storage for a while if its worth it.

Depending on how much stuff it is, look into uship.com (basically, posting jobs wanted for trucking companies that have extra room)
Let them haul it all for about 1/3-1/2 the cost of a vehicle.

Old 05-14-2016, 05:01 PM

7,514 posts, read 13,608,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriver View Post
+ ryder.

How certain is the relationship? What about just putting it into a local storage for a while if its worth it.

Depending on how much stuff it is, look into uship.com (basically, posting jobs wanted for trucking companies that have extra room)
Let them haul it all for about 1/3-1/2 the cost of a vehicle.
+1 re Uship.com

RE Ryder, per https://reservations.ryder.com/ , "Ryder rentals are roundtrip only and must be returned to the original rental location.

Old 05-14-2016, 11:03 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tf2014 View Post
So back to the original question (and I ask because I'm having difficulty finding info on the car rental websites) do companies do one way cargo van rentals? If anyone has used them, was it worth it in the end or am I being ridiculous?
As Reed stated, one of the national rental rental companies currently offer one-way personal move cargo van or pickup truck rentals. The smallest most offer for one-way rentals are the standard 10' or larger cube vans. This is why if you go to U-Haul, Pensky, Budget, Ryder, etc and put in a one way rental, the cargo vans and pickups will show as not available.

However, you have an alternative which Reed also mentioned and that is renting through a car rental company for a one way rental of a mini van or similar. I know that although Hertz rents 12 passenger full size vans along with Nissan NV's and some Ford Transits, when you put in one way rentals above a 300 mile distance, all those vehicles drop off the list. So I think a large mini-van may be the largest vehicle available for personal rentals going one-way.

Also consider that a large mini van one way rental may be the same as a 10' box van one way rental even when factoring in gas and mileage due to the higher cost for the "car rental" versus the "personal moving van rental". One last option is if you are flexible, sometimes companies like Hertz needs to move these specialty car rentals (large passenger vans) to other location so they may be willing to do the one way rental so long as you are going from to to where the vehicle is and needs to go. This is seldom done at the local rental counter or online and usually has to be done over the phone as they know what needs to go where.

Old 05-16-2016, 12:28 PM

389 posts, read 916,291 times
We had the same problem when arranging to move our young adult daughter from CA to TN with a couple of furniture pieces and boxes of clothes/kitchen items, etc. We ended up renting a Dodge Caravan, but still got hit with the extra fees involved when you do not return the rented vehicle to the place where you rented it from. Overall, better to drive cross-country, better gas mileage, lots of availability. I do not recall how much it cost to rent, but there really wasn't much of an option.

Old 05-16-2016, 12:44 PM

4,384 posts, read 4,381,108 times
Prior to our last move we just took a bunch of stuff we wouldn't need or have room for to a consignment shop. They sold it all (eventually) and sent us a check for our share. OR, you could rent one of the smaller U-haul trailers. They can certainly be rented for a one way trip.

Old 05-17-2016, 01:25 PM

6,744 posts, read 3,361,971 times
We're looking to move from the Chicago area to Henderson, NV next spring. We'll get rid of a lot of stuff and have the equivalent of about a 2 BR house to move. The biggest problem is having two cars that have to get out there. I'm considering shipping one of them and we will drive the other. I've looked at all the options like truck rentals and PODS, but just having the movers do it is the easiest way. Maybe not the cheapest, but it seems to be the most practical.

Estimates have been about $6K to move the household stuff and about $1K to ship the car. Not exactly cheap, but about what I figured. Not a lot of heavy lifting for me, which I like, and that's worth something. I figure the move will be stressful enough. If the cargo van was more practical I would go that route, but I just don't see how we could make that work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues