Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 05:16 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,823,233 times

Advertisements

Is there no respect for the dead?

The newstory is not on their website, but on my local news they just stated that a cemetery in Butler county, Missouri was almost destroyed. A hospital wants to build on the site of the old cemetery, which is small, grown up, and hasn't had a fresh burial in years. The owners of the land (accidentally, according to them) had crews go through and they really tore it up, knocking over stones and moving stones. The owners of the land say the purpose was clear trees, not move stones. Some people whose relatives were buried there were obviously livid. Anyway, the whole story made me sad. I don't know whether it was an accident or not, but it's still awful.

The cemetery where my great-grandparents and great-great-grandparents are buried is also small and not used any more (meaning there are no more fresh graves). The people who were maintaining it have stopped, so my relatives are trying to contact some of the relatives of those buried there to get money to maintain it. It is really overgrown right now.

Of course, some cemeteries are just not maintained because of lack of interest and/or lack of funds. I've read cases of others being completely destroyed.

I'm glad findagrave and some other smaller sites record cemetery info, because many of these small cemeteries are in danger, or are already gone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 05:45 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,341,511 times
Years ago, while driving into D.C. on the Baltimore-Washington Parkway, I saw one of those old white marble tombstones (prob. 1700s) that had been dug up by the construction people rebuilding the access ramps from the Beltway. The construction workers had leaned the stone against a tree and had written "Bob" in black letters on it. After I got to my office, I called the local historical society and told them about it. The stone eventually disappeared but I wonder to where.

I have added information to findagrave. Good site for pics of tombstones and sometimes ancestors.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:20 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post

The newstory is not on their website, but on my local news they just stated that a cemetery in Butler county, Missouri was almost destroyed. A hospital wants to build on the site of the old cemetery, which is small, grown up, and hasn't had a fresh burial in years. .
Do you know the name of it? Some of my ggg and gggg grandparents are buried in that county.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:31 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,341,511 times
Years ago I read about some young people, I believe in Kentucky, being caught destroying the graves of Civil War veterans. I wondered then what sort of heartless monster would go into a cemetery and do such a thing.

I think that many, if not most, older cemeteries have unmarked graves whose inhabitants either could not afford a headstone or were segregated to the edges of the graveyard property where only field stones were used. However, it is odd where one sometimes finds burial records that normally would be in danger of disappearing. While studying my mother's family in the genealogy reading room of the Library of Congress years ago, I discovered a woman (1855-1917) who married into my family and would have been a 1st cousin (several times removed), who was buried at a small cemetery in the tiny town of Taiban, New Mexico. As fate would have it, I later took a job at Albuquerque and a weekend trip to Taiban revealed a very small wind-swept cemetery behind a barbed wire fence at the end of a dirt road. The grounds were covered only in dirt, rocks and Yucca plants and it appeared that the only grounds keeper was the spring winds. Near the back of this graveyard was the gravesite of this woman whose family history goes back to early Texas and an infamous feud in deep east Texas.

This information I found in an old book stuck away in the dusty stacks of a library some 1700 miles away. The short of this story is that, if you write down the location of a family member's burial site, maybe its location will survive souless monsters who respect nothing and hate everything.

Old 06-16-2011, 10:22 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
When there is no longer respect for human life how can their be respect for the dead?

There had been some land in my family that had 3 different cemetaries on it. A church group came one year to fence around one of them, fix the headstones, and update the church records as to whom was buried there. Another cemetary was without maintence but was fenced (from middle-late 1800's) and the person who bought the land said it was just taking up grazing space (it was all of 100 square feet at the most). The third was heavily damaged but we tried to keep it up somewhat.

Vandalism in my town of the graveyard most of my family is buried in is not uncommon as it sits in what has become a less than desireable part of town. It is supposed to be "perpetual care" but I always have to go to the office to report overturned gravestones two or three times each year.

Children learn respect when it is taught to them. If they are never taught to respect life or the dead there is no reason to expect them to respect cemetaries either.

Old 06-16-2011, 10:49 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,823,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Do you know the name of it? Some of my ggg and gggg grandparents are buried in that county.
The article is on the website now.

Shadle (also called Cedar Valley) Cemetery.
Locals continue working to preserve old cemetery in Butler Co. - KFVS12 News & Weather Cape Girardeau, Carbondale, Poplar Bluff

One of the pictures on the KFVS12 page shows a stone with the name William Shadle. Here's his death certificate
http://www.sos.mo.gov/images/archive...9_00042794.PDF

Here is the cemetery on findagrave, but only one grave is listed. It's not William Shadle.
Find A Grave: Shadle Cemetery
Findagrave also has Cedar Valley Cemetery, with 7 graves
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...try=4&CSst=26&
I'm not sure if it's the same place or not.

My ancestors have a family cemetery in a nearby county. Last I checked, it was still being maintained. Let's hope it stays that way. It's only got about 20 or so graves in it.

Apparently I've driven by the road that goes to this cemetery a few times and not known it. Here's the look on Google Maps
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ba...ed=0CBoQnwIwAA

Here's the overhead view. I think this is it, based on the white stones seen
http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=q3t...ri&form=LMLTCC

If the hospital wants to build there, and the cemetery is so small, couldn't they approximate where the graves are, lineout that area and build around it, rather than on it?

Last edited by STLCardsBlues1989; 06-16-2011 at 11:07 PM..

Old 06-16-2011, 11:11 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
The article is on the website now.

Shadle (also called Cedar Valley) Cemetery.
Locals continue working to preserve old cemetery in Butler Co. - KFVS12 News & Weather Cape Girardeau, Carbondale, Poplar Bluff

One of the pictures on the KFVS12 page shows a stone with the name William Shadle. Here's his death certificate
http://www.sos.mo.gov/images/archive...9_00042794.PDF

Here is the cemetery on findagrave, but only one grave is listed. It's not William Shadle.
Find A Grave: Shadle Cemetery
Findagrave also has Cedar Valley Cemetery, with 7 graves
Find A Grave: Cedar Valley
I'm not sure if it's the same place or not.

My ancestors have a family cemetery in a nearby county. Last I checked, it was still being maintained. Let's hope it stays that way. It's only got about 20 or so graves in it.

Apparently I've driven by the road that goes to this cemetery a few times and not known it. Here's the look on Google Maps
Google Maps

Here's the overhead view. I think this is it, based on the white stones seen
Bing Maps - driving directions, routes, and traffic

If the hospital wants to build there, and the cemetery is so small, couldn't they approximate where the graves are, lineout that area and build around it, rather than on it?
It is not unusual for cemetaries to be moved. I don't think it is right that eminent domain be used to raise the tax base by turning the property over to another private entity; but, the SCOTUS disagrees.

Old 06-17-2011, 09:17 AM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,368,879 times
Volunteerism, get out there with a mower and a weed whacker or prep food and drink for those hardy enough to do the back breaking labor.

Old 06-17-2011, 12:14 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,138,742 times
Cemeteries are private property. Unless there's something written into the deed, the owner can do with the property whatever they wish. Unfortunately.

Some states are passing laws to protect "historic" cemeteries, and many states have organizations to oversee the protection.

One problem I've heard of, concerning vandalism in cemeteries, is that each tombstone is considered to be individually owned. So though destruction can total in the tens of thousands, the criminals are usually only charged with misdemeanors. Sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy