Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 01:17 PM

531 posts, read 1,982,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartwell Girl View Post
BMWGUYDC, she said cut back within a foot of the ground. Azaleas cannot handle that type of pruning anytime of the year.
Azalea Care

Above is one of many websites in which cutting azaleas within a foot of the ground is described ("heading"). It is done when the plants have tons of dead limbs inside the greenery, as ours do. They were allowed to get too big too fast and now the best thing, I guess, is to cut them back and let them start over. But in the spring, I guess, not now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2008, 02:53 PM

2,063 posts, read 7,777,312 times
It depends on where you are located as well as the vigor of the azaleas but you can cut them back severely and have them *survive*. Since you are in an area that will have more 6 weeks before any chance of frost I don't see why you can't. The shrubs should recover and grow some leaves before really cool weather slows them down. You will loose the blooms for next year (although it may surprise you and have a handful per shrub) but the azaleas should remain alive. Considering the alternative of having someone stomp on them I'd say cutting them back sounds less risky.

BTW the article does not say you can't do it now, only in the spring, it just lets you know if you do it too late in the year you loose the next spring's flowers. This is because Azaleas set their buds later in the year (usually from late summer through fall). The silver lining is that if you prune them again next year (in late spring!!!) for shape you may have some really nice looking flowering shrubs in the spring after next.

Old 09-02-2008, 03:07 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,134,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
I believe that's why I said to do what was necessary for now, as in to gain access. I apologize for giving an opinion, however, and won't bother to do so again.
Yikes! That is NOT what I implied at all...I was just wondering if you read that part. okay? Thanks.

Old 09-02-2008, 04:07 PM

2,035 posts, read 5,034,055 times
Default J&Em

..that sounds about right... ive also had to do this to both azaleas as well as camillias and as long as you're willing to sacrifice next springs flowers, you should be ok...
...the only thing i might add is that once you've finished pruning them back,...give the azaleas a shot of miracid..or any other fertilizer specially designed for azaleas.. this will help them recover and get them off to a good start come spring..this treatment worked out well for the ones id mentioned at the beginning here..

Old 12-14-2008, 10:45 AM

1 posts, read 11,967 times
Azaleas are actually a hardy shrub. I've had them for many years and cut them back whenever they become too big or straggly. Doing this causes no harm to the plant. The only time NOT to but them back is when the blooms have started appearing on the branches, after the cold weather is gone, as this would keep them from blooming in the spring. The best time to cut them back is right after the blooms have fallen off. This can be done every year to control the shape and height of the bush.

Old 12-14-2008, 03:11 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,175,023 times
One word of warning....sometimes it seems as if they are NEVER going to regrow and when they are pulled up, the roots are in great shape and starting to put out new growth....so don't give up on them. sometimes it takes months before they show signs of life. If the wood beneath the bark still looks green, they are OK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden